Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 OYRA series and other YRA SH Racing

Are others still thinking about this? I like Jackie's idea of a subset of the series that fits in with our SSS races. I wouldn't haggle with OYRA on price and would just sign up for their series.

A couple singlehanders and a couple doublehanders have signed up so far (as have the Nasty Habits):

OYRA on Jibeset.

I'm planning to do most of the OYRA events single-handed.

I am also planning to do the OYRA singlehand races. Here's hoping my boat will be put back together again in time for the first one in April...

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    . . . bumpercars is my least favorite aspect of the sport, especially as a singlehander. I think the ocean racers are safer, at least they feel safer, as there is so much more elbow room.
    Funny you should write that. I planned on posting shortly under the heading "Feeling like you need SPACE?" (I sure did on Saturday.)

I've been exchanging e-mails with YRA about a division for singlehanders in the OYRA series (starting 4/16) and shorthanders (DH and SH) in the "YRA Series" (inside the Bay) starting 5/14. I made an announcement about this at the Corinthian Race skippers' meeting and will bring more details to the awards meeting (and post them here). In the meantime, check Jibeset or the new YRA website for the dates. YRA is encouraging us to design our own series if desired, and they have opened up the appropriate options on Jibeset for sign-ups. Please let me know what you'd like to do and we'll put it together. Maybe we can even cook up some special awards.

There's already a thread about racing OYRA singlehanded HERE and when I get a chance I'll post some thoughts about doing the "YRA Series" DH or SH.

Bob J.
    BobsailsSF (at Yahoo)
    Last edited by BobJ; 03-22-2016 at 12:33 PM.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    YRA is encouraging us to design our own series if desired
    How would this differ from just adding more races to the existing SSS calendar?

More work for our overworked team, plus YRA really needs some support.

They are willing to put on the races, they would like us to participate, and we have a big hole in our calendar over the Summer especially for doublehanders. I think it's a win-win.

Are these Bay or Bay + Ocean? And DH only??? Or SH/DH , SH/DH/Crew??

The singlehanded division in OYRA is ocean races, and makes it possible for singlehanders to do additional races without having to compete directly with doublehanders (OYRA's SHS division had been SH and DH combined). Getting at least five entries would give singlehanders their own scoring in that series. OYRA's dates do not conflict with our SSS races but as proposed earlier in the thread, we could design a combined SSS/OYRA singlehanded series that excludes OYRA's HMB and Farallones races, since we have our own. Drakes Bay combines the two groups.

The "YRA Series" are Bay races - one set run out of Berkeley and one set run out of South Beach YC (south of the Bay Bridge). They have been full crew races but those numbers have dropped significantly. YRA has added a shorthanders division and if we have enough entries, it could be further split into SH and DH divisions (as we were able to have for the Berkeley Midwinters). One caveat is that the first date for the YRA Series is the same as our Singlehanded Farallones (5/14). While I want to encourage YRA's invitation to our group, I don't want to take any boats away from SSS races. I have discussed all this with our Commodore and he agrees "the more the merrier."
    Last edited by BobJ; 03-27-2016 at 08:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Can you move this to its own thread? Something like "New Opportunities for Racing Shorthanded"?
    Moved 5 posts from Corinthian thread to here.

How would this differ from just adding more races to the existing SSS calendar?
    I am against adding more races to the SSS calendar. We already added two racing days with the Drakes Bay race a few years ago. Additional shorthanded sailing is great but it should not be part of the SSS, just more opportunities.