Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 OYRA series and other YRA SH Racing

That's the idea.

Just signed up for the OYRA series singlehanded !

I should be able to do most of them except for 5/21 (made other plans with my wife)

Hope to see some more singlehanded boats !

Domino is signed up for the the first 3.... Transpac precludes the rest.

DH

It's great to see these sign-ups - thanks. Because of the Corinthian Race collisions I don't know if I'll have my boat ready by 4/16, so mine will be a last-minute decision.

To insure we have separate scoring in OYRA for singlehanders (and possibly a separate start), we'll need at least a couple more boats. Andy is looking for at least five boats who will do most of the series. Historically, attendance drops off significantly after the first 3-4 OYRA races, especially in even years (Pacific Cup & SHTP).

If you aren't feeling like racing in the ocean this year, also check out YRA's "YRA Series." They have a shorthanded option available for the first time.

The OYRA Lighship today was a decidedly mixed bag.

The start was a mess, with two delays that did not seem to serve any purpose other than to let the ebb build to the point that several boats dropped out after failing to clear Anita Rock or got sucked into the south span of the GG Bridge. I know it is always a guessing game, but this time the RC guessed wrong. Several people expressed their unhappiness quite strongly via VHF.

After a laborious drift out the gate, the wind filled in at last and it was a decent run to the Lightship. The ebb helped, but it was a bit of a washing machine until after G1/R2. For me, the trip back was pleasant until about a mile from Bonita where the wind dropped to <5 kts. It's one thing to sail to weather in 10 knots of wind in a washing machine, it is an altogether less pleasant thing to sail 1.5 knots downwind in the same crap. It took me 2+ hours to get from Bonita to the GG bridge.

Of course, once I jibed and went under the GG bridge, the wind jacked up to 20 knots at 90 deg apparent and I was hanging on by my fingernails.

It was a beautiful day on the ocean, but a bit more wind (not too much!) would have been nice.

Thank you, Tom, for representing the Singlehanded Sailing Society in the inaugural OYRA singlehanded division.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Quote Originally Posted by tboussie View Post
    The OYRA Lighship today was a decidedly mixed bag.

Several people expressed their unhappiness quite strongly via VHF.
    I completely sympathize, but I had to laugh at the thought of people confusing the VHF with social media.

It was more of a reality show. I stomped my feet and flew my protest flag for dramatic effect, which was good for a "right-on brother" over the radio.

The weekend's silver lining was the SHTP Cruise-In at OYC. Four out of the five OYRA singlehanders ended up over there, while Tom represented in OYRA.

It was all good. I'm looking forward to the Duxship race. We need a couple more singlehanders though - two boats on Saturday were SRE's.

Any interest out there in forming a single handed division for the YRA series? I think this could fill the summer gap in SSS races -- after the Farallones on 5/14, there isn't another local race until Drakes Bay on 8/27. YRA is willing to create a single handed or short handed division if we have 5 boats.

FYI, it's an 8 race series (2 races per day) on the following dates/locations:

05/14/16 – YRA #1 – Berkeley Circle
    06/18/16 – YRA #2 – South Bay
    07/23/16 – YRA #3 – South Bay
    08/13/16 – YRA #4 – Southampton

5/14 obviously conflicts with the Farallones, but the rest work. ( I'm not sure I'm going to do the Farallones this year due to battery and AP issues, so I'm busy thinking about alternatives.) Even if I go forward with the Farallones, though, I like the idea of doing the June, July and Aug YRA races. A great chance to work on boat handling!

I'm thinking about this too. I'm not keen on racing to the Farallones twice (OYRA and SSS). If the offshore forecast looks iffy on 5/14, I'd start this series instead and do the stinky rocks with OYRA.

But to make this work we need at least three more shorthanders for the YRA series. Here you go:

https://www.jibeset.net/YRA000.php?RG=T004349292