Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: MMSI = Maritime Mobile Service Identify

Default MMSI = Maritime Mobile Service Identify

Dura Mater = 338166477

Kynntana = 338147422

Ragtime! = 367071130

Some things that your VHF DSC can do are copied below from another forum, which you might find useful:

1. Individual calls. Instead of clogging up 16 trying to find a particular boat or someone with a handheld, or a shore station, you can make an individual DSC call. You put in your party's MMSI (which can be stored in speed dial on most radios) and enter the working channel you want to use, and the "phone rings" on the other boat. The called parties "answers" by pressing the "acknowledge" button, and both radios are automatically switched to the chosen working channel.

2. Position polling. For this to work, the radio polled has to be set to allow it. You "ping" the polled radio with its MMSI, and it automatically replies with lat long. If your radio DSC output is wired to your plotter, the positions will show up there automatically. There is also "auto polling", where up to four other MMSI radios can be position polled automatically at a user-selected interval. (Position polling could come in handy, for example, when you've misplaced the boat after a party at another yacht club, or check on your friends in race...just kidding

3. Group call. You can set up a "conference call" by putting in multiple MMSI's. Otherwise works like an individual call.

4. Radio check. Call USCG on MMSI to check your radio's DSC and conduct a radio check. This link gives the different sector numbers: http://www.uscg.mil/acquisition/rescue21/dsc.asp. I believe you get a non-automated response using these numbers. It takes a couple minutes to program the USCG MMSI into the VHF memory and usually less than a minute to test. You might consider doing this if there are changes to the VHF or NMEA wiring and prior to longer offshore voyages to verify system functionality.

5. Distress calling. Press the DSC activation and it automatically sends a distress call to all DSC equipped ships, boats and shore stations in range. The call automatically includes: your identity, which is why the handheld should have the same MMSI in case you abandon ship; your position (if a GPS receiver is connected); and the nature of your distress (this can also be edited, if needed).

6. Test calling. For VHF DSC radios equipped with the Test Call feature, test transmissions can be made to the US Coast Guard MMSI 003669999 to receive an automated VHF DSC test response. You must use the “Test Call” category of your radio because “Individual” category calls to this address will not receive an automated response. For older radios not having a test call capability, testing can only be performed by using an individual call to their MMSI (see #4, above).

It goes without saying, but you can be fined ("heavily"), if you make a DSC distress call as a way to test your radio. Consult the manual about the operational functions, especially since some radios are not intuitive in these features and some VHFs switch away from and may not return to monitoring ch. 16 when DSC calls are made.
    Last edited by Gamayun; 01-01-2016 at 09:31 PM.

Domino = 367617370

USCG Sector San Francisco = 003669926

TIJD = 338169322

Dirk Husselman "TIJD" First 30JK

338059104 - shouldn't we just publish these on the registration. I don't suppose we'll be getting telemarketing calls. Although if you owe someone money I wouldn't put it past a collection agency. Ha Ha, that would be a hoot!

BTW, I just noticed there are a lot of numbers on my boat, almost as many numbers as there are GPSs.

Sail
    HIN
    Hull (for the Transpac)
    CG DOC
    EPIRB
    PLB
    Cell
    Inreach

Jeeze! (that's an expression, not a number)

You forgot your call sign, Mike, if ya got one! I think this post shows that 'someone' (ahem, Bob?) could extract the MMSIs from our Jibeset registrations and send a PDF to all active SSSers.

However, here's something that needs to be considered. When I search on the FCC database for an MMSI that is CG documented, I can get all of the skipper's boat info, including their home address. If you have the free version from Boat US, then the MMSI is not available in any public directory, that I can find. I don't have a problem with my address being distributed, and it seems that most people with rudimentary internet skills could find just about anything about anyone, but we might need to get active consent to allow this information to be distributed.