Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Safety at Sea Seminar

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

So what is the ZYC race anyway?? The phantom race with no committee and no permit etc?

Shhhh! The "Z" is the clue.

If they'd do it on a date that's not a tax due-date, I'd show up.

"Uniform equipment" and "training requirement" is a good thing. I would agree to that wholeheartedly. But, it seems to me, that what really happens is a constantly moving and changing target. But I really don't have the background to see it like most SSSers since the only SSS races I have ever participated in were SHTPs.
    And related to some degree, is my view of the "training requirements". I have seen the SSS attempt, with some success, to encourage SHTP participation not only just from the Bay Area, but from other areas and countries, as well. To require potential participants to attend sessions solely in the Bay Area seems to me to be counter productive. And, at least for the SHTP, the SSS seminars have yet to be required, as far as I know...Haven't looked at this year's NOR tho.

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    I think that we respect ourselves; hopefully that counts. We are well below the radar as far as the worldwide sailing community goes. And that's OK.

I still think that a uniform equipment standard and training requirement is a good thing. Otherwise we will be back in the world of "oh shit, it says I need a 200' anchor rode and I just bought a 180' rode for the last race I did".
    After participating in a helpful e-mail exchange among Glenn MacCarthy, our insurance agent and some of the NorCalORC folks, I'm convinced we can relax about modifying the requirements for our own races. As most non-lawyers apparently do, I was confusing "liability" with "negligence." The SSS has a lot less risk than I imagined - and we're fully-insured for that risk.

We could take whatever USSER throws at us and immediately trim it back to what we want to use.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Shhhh! The "Z" is the clue.

If they'd do it on a date that's not a tax due-date, I'd show up.
    What are tax due dates ? Or what are they. The anarchistic non planning team is looking for dates now. Likely something in Sept.

I am sorry I don't understand, but what is a permit ?

The fascinating part of that list is the VHF radio. You can actually get one for less than that today. While the flares are 10X the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    What are tax due dates ? Or what are they. The anarchistic non planning team is looking for dates now. Likely something in Sept.
    Indirectly, tax due dates pay for my sailing habit. For example, all my miscreant corporations and partnerships/LLC's who don't file on time and go on extension are due September 15th. If Z plans a non-race for, say, September 10th, I can't non-participate, theoretically-speaking.

"A lot of the required equipment is not geared toward self rescue, but being able to assist someone already in the water.
    The equipment is top of the line with features to assist rescuers in locating us, i.e. DSCw/GPS integrated.

From my limited perspective, I want to be as safe as possible, which stems from my training and growing experience, learning to stay out of trouble and stay on the boat. Next is to be of maximum use in assisting in rescue of my fellow racer. This is where more of the equipment comes in. The down side I am beginning to see is that I am running out of room to pack stuff on my vest! and the limited real estate on the back of my boat! I have not found an ideal place to carry my handheld VHF."

You should really consider an PLB EPIRB, smaller, assured response, battery life of 30 to 48 hours, immediate ID of boat and location, consistent view of satellites as opposed to terrestrial station subject to blockage by buildings/ships/ and sea water if you happen to be overboard, and immediate USCG response.

I am beginning to wonder what happens with all that gear, will we still float ?

We'll still float, but by then a bunch of casual beer can races will have the Lightbucket, SE Farallon etc. as the windward mark.