Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Safety at Sea Seminar

I'm not picky about menus...a career in the Army takes care of that!

So the classes at SFYC are sold out. Bob will you let me know when Richmond has a schedule? Thanks.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

The rule says you must have SAS within 5 years, "or equivalent", but it doesn't say what might constitute an equivalent. Somehow this did not get discussed in all the very extensive review the RRCs went through.

Perhaps the RC will weigh in. There is certainly an issue for us if we mandate a credential that is not possible to get in a reasonable manner.

The first 19 editions of the SHTP were run without the requirement to attend an outside Safety at Sea class. We provide our own seminars which are specific to our race. As one who has presented some of them, I'm somewhat offended by the new requirement.

Phil, the plan is to have an SAS class at the Strictly Sail Boat Show, which will be at the Craneway Pavilion (old Ford plant) in Richmond this year. The SAS fee would include boat show admission. It's not all nailed down. If I hear more I'll post here.
    Last edited by BobJ; 01-17-2016 at 07:19 PM.

Thanks very much Bob and David. After re-looking at my calendar I'm out of town the 8-9 and 10th of April anyway. Im not doing the Trans Pac but I thought if Sail a Vie was ready I would like to try the Single Handed Farallones (did my first in 97) and Half Moon Bay.
    Pac Cup has one but its in Hawaii.
    Maybe if no other classes come up I will plead my case with the RC. Thats if Im ready to go anyway and that is a big IF.

The two-day courses at SFYC are full and the next SAS class (at Encinal) is the same day as the SH Farallones.

We could do a course ourselves but the course has to be "accepted by US Sailing."

How is this going to get resolved?

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

I think individuals with significant logistic issues to completing the requirement should contact the race chair.

My last post was regarding the regular season. Seems if you haven't already taken an SAS class, you're out for the SH Farallones.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    My last post was regarding the regular season. Seems if you haven't already taken an SAS class, you're out for the SH Farallones.
    and DHLS IIRC.
    Not a problem for DHF 2016 which will be similar to 2015 http://www.sfbama.org/2015/DHF/nr.pdf

That's fine Bob but that doesn't help singlehanders. In the SSS program, the SH Farallones is a qualifier for the LongPac and the LongPac is a qualifier for the SH TransPac. SH Farallones is a significant step in the SSS program whereas your DHF is a single, stand-alone race.

When SSS cooperated with NorCalORC and adopted its new rules for SSS's ocean races, we expected it would be possible to comply with those rules. In a further development, the rules are no longer established locally but are now promulgated by the USSER committee of US Sailing. In a post on Pressure-Drop almost three years ago, I predicted this would be SSS's undoing when it came to retaining equipment and training requirements appropriate for shorthanding.

The US Sailing Safety Equipment Requirements (USSER) committee and NorCalORC are quick to point out that local race authorities (like SSS) can edit the rules as they choose, so I suggest SSS remove the SAS requirement this year since sufficient courses are not available locally. For next year, I propose that SSS reinstate its original rules for its ocean races. They were developed over many years by our own members and were designed for racing shorthanded. SSS uses its own rules for our Bay races and participation continues to increase. Participation in our ocean races dropped off significantly when we adopted the NorCalORC rules, and it has not recovered. Check the entry history on Jibeset for our SH Farallones and Half Moon Bay races to confirm this.
    Last edited by BobJ; 01-19-2016 at 03:43 PM.