Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Safety at Sea Seminar

What he said +1

me 2 + 1

SSS put together a 4 hour class last year and had a lot of participants, in fact it essentially sold out. They are a pretty big logistical item to set up plus you have to "hire" the approved instructors. There was an assumption, given the 5 year lifetime, that virtually all would have been able to attend one of these in the last 3 years. Also, it was stated by YRA that YRA, and US Sailing, and NCORC, were going to construct an online course. That seems to have fallen into oblivion. Maybe we, as the SSS, should go the route of BAMA. They have a required reading list, most of which is likely already read by those reading any of this thread. I find their approach adequate. Bob N. has even done a bit of monitoring of site activity and knows that at least folks are hitting up the articles now and then. So, lets consider taking BAMA's efforts and declaring them, "or equivalent". That clears up the problems.

Phil,

Consider the ZYC challenge as an ocean target race. Destination to be announced. It is un associated with anything except the start line, between the USCG pier and Blackaller. One only need to show up at the start time. Trophies are passed out at an undisclosed bar/grill somewhere along the San Francisco water front and tend to come from a collection of previous years trophies, donated by participants. Compliance with USCG rules are of course in order.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Phil MacFarlane View Post
    Thanks very much Bob and David. After re-looking at my calendar I'm out of town the 8-9 and 10th of April anyway. Im not doing the Trans Pac but I thought if Sail a Vie was ready I would like to try the Single Handed Farallones (did my first in 97) and Half Moon Bay.
    Pac Cup has one but its in Hawaii.
    Maybe if no other classes come up I will plead my case with the RC. Thats if Im ready to go anyway and that is a big IF.

It appears an online version of the course is nearing completion. I just spoke to Chuck Hawley. It sounds as if major sections are complete. Will it be ready in time for SHTP Farallon's ? yet to be determined. If I find out more I will post it here. I suspect this will be a US Sailing online set up of some type.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Phil MacFarlane View Post
    So the classes at SFYC are sold out. Bob will you let me know when Richmond has a schedule? Thanks.
    The Half-Day Coastal SAS seminar is confirmed for Saturday, April 9th at 0900. It will probably appear on their seminar page at some point. Links to other show information are at the top:

http://strictlysailpacific.com/seminars/

From the SSS "About" page:

Mission

The Singlehanded Sailing Society was conceived to provide a forum where sailors and others interested in the sport of singlehanded sailing could share their ideas and experiences. It is the intent of the SSS to make it possible for such sailors to compete in seaworthy sailing vessels of various types and designs on a fair and equitable basis. The purpose of the races is to provide an organized arena in which ideas, equipment, designs, and vessels specifically created, built, modified, or equipped for long distance singlehanded racing may be tested and evaluated through friendly sportsmanlike competition. The development of personal skill in singlehanded sailing is encouraged through sailing events and seminars.

"Once this equipment is tested and evaluated, and personal skill is developed, refer to the USSER for the equipment and training you're actually required to have."

Oh wait - it DOESN'T say that.
    Last edited by BobJ; 01-21-2016 at 11:03 AM.

I had previously asked the question about the school course vis a vis requiring a substantial "qualifier". Are there any races that require both? The SHTP is the only one that I know of. Then Bob pointed out that the Farallons race was a "qualifier" for the Long Pac. Why would that race require a qualifier? I can qualify for the SHTP without a LongPac.... Seems as if we're getting all wound up. Not that I should care since I've done my last SSS race. The continual progression of pre=race requirements is very interesting to me tho. Sort of mirrors the situation where our government gets bigger and bigger in the unending search for solutions to problems, real or imagined. Pretty soon the pre-race requirements may become more difficult that the race itself.....????

Ken, the SHTP hasn't changed that much. Most of the changes have been for our local coastal races. This is the first time a Safety-at-Sea class has been required for the SHTP - my feelings about that have been expressed above (it's silly).

However the SHTP has required a 400-mile qualifier for as long as I can remember (which is not as long as you can remember). You haven't had to do a qualifier because the SHTP itself is a qualifier for the next SHTP, and you keep coming back. I've done R/C a couple times (and the Pacific Cup) since my last SHTP so now I have to do a qualifier.

Regarding the pre-race requirements becoming more difficult than the race - many of us believe the LongPac (or equivalent qualifying sail) is harder than the SHTP in some years.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    It appears an online version of the course is nearing completion. I just spoke to Chuck Hawley. It sounds as if major sections are complete. Will it be ready in time for SHTP Farallon's ? yet to be determined. If I find out more I will post it here. I suspect this will be a US Sailing online set up of some type.

Brian
    An online version , with some checking included , would be a very good alternative.

I understand and appreciate all the criticism on this thread , but it is coming from the point of view of very experienced, high-skill sailors. Of course you would all be fine without a class or credential. But think of it from the point of view of newbies, or people who responsible running a race that includes newbies.

We have definitely had instances in the SHTP of seriously under-prepared boats and skippers, and it was tough on them and does not reflect well on the event as a whole.