Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Three-Bridge Fiasco Buzz

I started doing that, too, but once I got away from the city front and into clean air and ebb I realized I was making good progress toward Blackaller (or so it seemed). Tacked back into the fray, kept checking to make sure I was indeed on starboard tack, and prepare my outside voice in case I had to yell for buoy room. Getting around Blackaller in a crowd of Moores and J22s was a good and sobering learning experience. Kudos to the port-tacked gonads on Balein (IIRC) which by pure skill (luck?) managed to slip through a whole lot of us starboard rounders, including a bunch of Moores/J22s trying to sneak inside of each other, without hitting anyone.
    Last edited by Lanikai; 02-04-2016 at 12:59 PM.

Looking at the finish times, I think there are still some finish times that need to be fixed.
    I did not take my finish time but I believe it was closer to 15:50 vs the 14:50 it shows....

It would be great to have finished at 14:50 but I'm pretty sure it was later...

Dirk- "TIJD" First 30JK

That makes sense Dirk, based on where you were the last time I saw you (in towards Richmond). I've included you in an e-mail to Allen.

Do you see any other finish times that look suspect?

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    That makes sense Dirk, based on where you were the last time I saw you (in towards Richmond). I've included you in an e-mail to Allen.

Do you see any other finish times that look suspect?
    I'm pretty sure we took different routes.
    I went TI, RR, BA

AHA! (To Dirk.)

Just confirming: Both SSS meetings are Wednesday night? The 3BF awards upstairs and the SHTP seminar downstairs?

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    AHA! (To Dirk.)

Just confirming: Both SSS meetings are Wednesday night? The 3BF awards upstairs and the SHTP seminar downstairs?
    I was wondering about this, too. That doesn't make sense...

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    I was wondering about this, too. That doesn't make sense...
    This is the Singlehanded Sailing Society. Lots of things don't make sense. Some history:

In the beginning the seminars were scheduled with Elaine for Wednesday nights. Then the new manager said, "Oh, no! We're having wine tasting on Wednesday nights and our members' needs come first." Fair enough. Elaine changed our seminars to Thursday nights. Downstairs. For some reason we were then told that we were back to Wednesdays. I don't remember why.

Then we had our first seminar. When we arrived, we were told to go upstairs. So we did. Bob Johnston's accessible, fact-laden presentation on Power Management was well attended and people far and wide heard about it. He is a well known, competitive sailor, only sometimes reviled for his strong opinions.

The next seminar starred Synthia Petroka. And I do mean STARRED. Stunning in a miniskirt and mismatched bowling shoes, Synthia presented the topic of Sails as no one before her ever had: with a power point light wand that entertained all, including her dog Revoire. Of course she is knowledgeable about sails! She's a sailmaker! In addition she's one of our very best sailors, and particularly adept at making difficult concepts easy to understand. So that seminar was a big success and her fame spread. There were approximately 55 people crammed into the OYC regatta room downstairs and it was so packed that I had to sit on the floor until George Lythcott made a mistake and vacated his chair. Big mistake, George!

And then. I missed the fun, but apparently attendance at the Emergency Rudder seminar was so enormous (yes, enormous) that the crowd was herded upstairs again, where there was a bar but no bartender. Huh. Big mistake, but I guess the OYC doesn't need the money. They must own the property, right? Well, we appreciate their hospitality very much, especially since we don't, apparently, have to buy their love in return. Or their beer.

Which brings us to this coming Wednesday. Yes, there is a time conflict between the seminar and the awards for the Fiasco. We decided not to make any changes until after the Fiasco. If there had been no wind no one would have come to the awards anyway. But wind did happen, didn't it? Dare I say it: Perfect wind for the participating crowd on the bay that day. So Wednesday night the awards will be distributed accordingly. If you and your boat scored a first place, be prepared to tell a story. If you can come early to collect your tshirts, that will be helpful, too.

Mike Cunningham has agreed to postpone his talk on sleep deprivation until May 11. Following the awards Jim Quanci will talk about The Return Trip. Mary Lovely has also been invited to give us her view of The Return Trip. I'll bet it's different than Jim's. Be patient with the bartenders. Leave big tips. Together we will all try to adapt to these circumstances in the way that members of the Singlehanded Sailing Society always do: with grace and dignity.
    Last edited by Philpott; 02-06-2016 at 12:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    This is the Singlehanded Sailing Society. Lots of things don't make sense. Some history: In the beginning ...
    Thanks for shedding some light on this, it makes sense.

That's a big paragraph. I have trouble with big paragraphs because I tend to lose my place while reading them. I could have sworn Jackie wrote that I have strong opinions, did a seminar wearing a miniskirt and bowling shoes and that I'm sleep-deprived. But I can't find that now. She also wrote something about love and beer - I'm SURE I read that. Then I think she said that tonight the awards will be distributed accordingly. This confuses me.

But it all ends "with grace and dignity" so I think we're okay.

Racers, Leslie - Rockskipper sent this link of TBF pictures to the race deck. Enjoy!

http://www.rockskipper.com/Sailing-G...-Bridge-Fiasco