Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Three-Bridge Fiasco Buzz

Question 2016 Three-Bridge Fiasco Buzz

The Fiasco, the SSS's biggie of the year, is coming up in 9 days and there's no buzz on the website? No one going? Here's a starter: fill in the blanks using the 3-Bridge Starting Schedule, the Current Book, and you best guess about wind. The currents are:

0821 Max Ebb (at GG) 2.4 knots

1307 Slack

1458 Max Flood (at GG) 1.0 knot

What's the plan? Who's going which way? Who's going at all? What have previous winners or boats that did well done? Anyone willing to break the silence?

Currents are light although the early ebb might get enhanced by runoff. Last year was brutal - I'll be looking for wind.

What's YOUR plan Pat?

Yep, starting to get excited for the race. I'll risk exposing my super secret, sure to win, detailed plan.

10:02 start for Roxanne
    Blackaller
    Red Rock
    Treasure Island

All subject to change, of course, once we get an idea of the wind.
    Last year, with much different tides, I was Red Rock first and DNF'd. By going after Blackaller first, I am hoping to secure at least one mark!

Cool NANCY's Secret Plan Revealed - National Enquirer Exclusive!

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Currents are light although the early ebb might get enhanced by runoff. Last year was brutal - I'll be looking for wind.

What's YOUR plan Pat?
    Bob, I thought I'd start about 09:49:50, go around - or near - 3 Bridges, and manage to Finish for the first time in several years. Oh, and I've promised myself to not run over a floating log and get it jammed between the keel and rudder again this year. It's not exactly a New Year's Resolution, however, so if I happen to encounter another log I just might experiment.

My plan was to follow Synthia but she's on a delivery.

This being my first "Fiasco" , trust me there have been others, my plan is to wing it.
    Depends on the wind for my start at 9:55:15.
    I've heard it is a good idea to keep an anchor handy!

I'm buzzing with anticipation for this years Fiasco! Every morning, I get on the Golden Gate Ferry and cruse to work passing by all my favorite places to sail. I can't wait to get back out there on Tinker. I had the first opportunity in months to visit the boat and test out the bilge pump. How many gallons is 10gal/min. for 15min? Anyways, there was a lot of rain water inside the boat. I really should spend some time fixing that lazarette hatch or maybe throw a tarp over the boat for the rainy season.

The longing for sailing and need for boat maintenance has been preempted by the need to earn some $'s. Working in S.F. and doing the extreme commute from the East Bay has been a big change for me. For 10 years I worked in Oakland with a 10min. commute and got spoiled. I've been using my commute as a training experiment to condition myself for this years sailboat racing. I ride my bike from the Ferry Building in S.F. to 16th & Kansas 5days/week rain or shine and it's been raining My foul weather gear has gotten a workout too.

That S.F. Bay Ferry from Bay Farm Island passes right by the place where I first learned to sail..., 38 years ago on a Laser 14 behind the U.S.S Enterprise. I've been watching all of you sailors on the bay for a little while now and can't wait to join the fleet again. The TBF is one of the greatest races to get to see most of the regular sailors on the bay.

Yes, keep your anchor readily available. Unless it's blowing hard all day, you may need it.

I've heard it said many times at the TBF skippers meetings that many skippers change their mind often about how to sail the race course right up until the race starts. It's a good idea to have a plan about what the currents are going to be doing that day. The challenge for me has always been going with the current one way around Red Rock and then against the current the other way. Then, the same thing around the Bay Bridge. Knowing how long it will take you to get there and what the current will be doing when you get there is what makes choosing clockwise or counterclockwise a gamble every year. I don't have a zippy sport boat or multi-hull to fly around the course so the real challenge is endurance and physical conditioning to leave the dock at 6 a.m. and return sometimes after 11p.m. Kudos to Synthia, my inspiration for endurance training this year. Make sure your running lights are working.

Bzzzzzz!!!

Cheers,

Matt
    Last edited by TinkerSSS; 01-22-2016 at 10:06 AM.

Maybe I go with the approach from last year. No plan at all
    It worked out as having the best 3BF result to date...

Dirk "TIJD" First 30JK

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSSS View Post
    I've heard it said many times at the TBF skippers meetings that many skippers change their mind often about how to sail the race course right up until the race starts. Matt
    Welcome back, Tink! Before I sailed my first Fiasco on Dura Mater The Cal 20 I asked Richard Von Ehrenkrook for advice on the start. Very seriously he told me how much he appreciated the opportunity to help "bring along" new bay sailors. He recommended that I stay close to him at the start and to simply follow the Can. After the start, he said, I would be on my own.

The day dawned. I motored over early from Berkeley. It took forever with my little two stroke outboard. I located the Can and sailed over to say hi. He was friendly. He and Paul smiled and waved. As we approached the line on starboard the Can was slightly in front of me, sailing fast, as always. But instead of crossing the line, he circled the buoy, and our boats passed each other across the line, the Can starting one way and DM the opposite. He and Paul were laughing and laughing. They waved and sailed away into history. Follow his start, indeed.

Speaking of "buzz", anyone know if pending PHRF certificates will be issued soon (preferably before 11:59pm Wednesday)?
    I'm aware of some very understandable delays in the YRA office, but we're cutting it close.