Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Three-Bridge Fiasco Buzz

Quote Originally Posted by Henry D View Post
    http://raceqs.com/
    That's a cool app - with live broadcasting, it will automatically detect all the boats in the area that are using live broadcasting and adds them to the live feed.
    This could be a great test to see 300 boats live tracking.
    Good luck (and to the rest of us) while you're watching that live feed

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    I just done the deed and still have 2 hours to spare. It's not healthy to be too early about deadlines, right Bob?
    I never take deadlines seriously (he said).

Alright, we're even with last year - 365 entries. Y'all are nuts . . .
    Last edited by BobJ; 01-27-2016 at 11:12 PM.

The "Mostly Bluegrass" music festival each year in GG Park and the "mostly" Doublehanded SSS 3-Bridge Fiasco are two of the largest events of their kind. This year it's 326 doublehanders and 41 singlehanders for a total of 367 boats participating in the 3-Bridge. There's a looser definition of "bluegrass" music, so who knows about the park?

The wind as of Thursday appears to be NWerly at 10 knots or less. Hopefully the forecasters will be as wrong Saturday as they usually are for most race days. No gale force breeze in the outlook, but some numbers in the teens would be nice.

This from Ray Irvine, Jibeset creator and guru:

Live tracking – Jibeset tracks boats equipment with either a SPOT or DELORME GPS tracking device. Once a device is registered with Jibeset it is tracked each time the boat races. See an example of a DELORME unit being tracked (on a boat, in a car, on a place) over the last several months at www.jibeset.net/gpsspotwho.php. Boats can also uploaded their recorded GPS track after the race for comparison with other boats.

SailFlow and NOAA agree it will be a typical last Saturday in January. Nancy agrees since Saturday's our anniversary and I'll be sailing! Wind looks like NWerly less than 10 knots on the water with showers; home front looks chilly with dark clouds.

Pressure Drop has the L-36 current charts up. They're sort of generic, but at least give a general idea for those of us not spending big bucks getting better. Looks like the early starters will most likely follow the flow down to Blackaller, cross the GG, and try to get up toward Richardson Bay on their way to Raccoon. Sound familiar? The late starters have a different bunch of currents to play with and now I wish I had a speedy sport boat and a hot spinnaker setter/trimmer for that gigantic A-sym. Or I should change my name to Greg Nelson.

Hopefully the meager pressure will persist long enough for most boats to finish this year. Or NOAA will be completely wrong - again.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Well ccw was not a great call. This race is like playing roulette betting on red or black.

Sail Tactics said to avoid Raccoon Strait so I went south of Angel Island. Came around Angel and across towards Berkeley and sure enough, lots of sails exiting Raccoon. Crap.

We ended up going down Raccoon. It wasn't the plan but it seemed to be the right thing at the time and I think it was.

Default Crap II

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Sail Tactics said to avoid Raccoon Strait so I went south of Angel Island. Came around Angel and across towards Berkeley and sure enough, lots of sails exiting Raccoon. Crap.
    Like Bob I went CW and around Angel Island rather than through Racoon Straits based on the predicted light winds inside. Game over. 2000 boats ahead, and me just in time for the Red Rock Wind Hole from Hell. Oh well. Last hour was fun with steady 18+ knots. Always a pleasure to finish the race. And really, sailing (at least for a while) in a tee shirt on Jan 30? Who can complain?

Up to Wednesday night we were going to have 2 boats sail the TBF. I have been suffering with a loud productive chest cold for 3 weeks which has meant sleeping on the sofa instead of the bed with my cute wife. Then it was suggested that we combine the two boats crews and we could all sail together but not in the race. As we left the dock yesterday, i grabbed my camera as to capture some of the race. We did our best to not interfere but still stayed among many of the boats at few marks. the rough in camera edit video is the sights and sounds of the racing, boats and bay. We "retired at Treasure Island and went home to Alameda. We could have finish the race by 4:30 had we continued.