Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Three-Bridge Fiasco Buzz

Good Bzzzz! "Now hear this! Now hear this! This is the Captain . . . ." - no, wrong script. Anyway, here's SailFlow's version of a week from today. Hmmm! Could be a very interesting variation on the usual "no wind" scenario.

0800 S. 13 mph
    1100 SSW 18.8 mph
    1400 SSW 23.3 mph

300+ boats. Mid to high teen wind speeds during the starts. 20+ around first finish time? A very interesting possibility - but of course there's 7 days for all the weather boys to change their collective minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanikai View Post
    Speaking of "buzz", anyone know if pending PHRF certificates will be issued soon (preferably before 11:59pm Wednesday)?
    I'm aware of some very understandable delays in the YRA office, but we're cutting it close.
    Patience, Grasshopper

"The plan is not the most important thing, however, the planning is very important" General Dwight Eisenhower.
    Plan for DIANNE is go for the wind, have an anchor at the ready, finish the race.

Quote Originally Posted by skatzman View Post
    "The plan is not the most important thing, however, the planning is very important" General Dwight Eisenhower.
    Plan for DIANNE is go for the wind, have an anchor at the ready, finish the race.
    BTW, Steve, I dropped off that tiller pilot jumble and saw all your stuff under Dianne. Bikes and clothes and ladders and boxes of stuff. You could provide the infrastructure for an entire village with all that!

Sunday Wind Update: SailFlow's still think'n wind and mostly S/SSW.
    0800 16
    1100 17
    1400 22
    1700 23
    Kame always says, "Follow the wind."

I agree with Bob that the east side of Yerba Buena looks mighty slim! Especially when the exclusion zone around the CG station is is added in.

Quote Originally Posted by P. Broderick - Elaine View Post
    I agree with Bob that the east side of Yerba Buena looks mighty slim! Especially when the exclusion zone around the CG station is is added in.
    A steady southerly would help but would make counter-clockwise heavily favored.

The message in the LONTAM says you can ask for permission from the Captain of the Port to use the restricted area. With 300-plus boats and it being a Saturday (non-work day) the R/C should consider doing this. It probably takes time to get an answer, and the meeting is Wednesday night . . .

"SAN FRANCISCO/OAKLAND BAY BRIDGE-EAST OF YBI -A Safety Zone has been established from 500 feet west of pier "H" and extends east to the Oakland shoreline. (see 2015-2017_East_SFOBB_Safety Zone.pdf in enclosure section) This safety zone has been established to protect mariners from the dangers associated with pier removal, over-head demolition and debris removal operations of the SFOBB. All vessels passing through the bridge east of YBI should use the "G-H" span, 500 feet west of pier "H" until demolition of the rest of the bridge is complete. Unauthorized persons or vessels will be prohibited from entering into, transiting through, or remaining in the safety zone without permission of the Captain of the Port or their designated representative. Temporary falsework towers have been removed down to the base from span “H” –“I”. Red lights will mark the upstream and downstream portion of the bases until removal. (see temp_falsework.pdf in enclosure section) Barges may be moored to piers “H”, and “I” with the outboard corners lit at night with red lights. (see barge_lighting.pdf in enclosure section.) A 180 X 60 ft crane barge, 220 X 60 ft spud barge and 140 X 70 flexifloat may be anchored on any side of piers “H” and “I” with anchor lines extending up to 700 ft NW, SW, NE, and SE of the moorings. (see Barge_Anchor_Diagram_02.pdf in enclosure section). For details at the work site, mariners may contact Caltrans at 510-385-7084 or the Contractor at 925-250-1298. For more details or comments contact the Coast Guard Project Manager at 510-437-3515.

Quote Originally Posted by P. Broderick - Elaine View Post
    Sunday Wind Update: SailFlow's still think'n wind and mostly S/SSW.
    Kame always says, "Follow the wind."

S/SSW means that all wind under the bridge will be "excluded".

Well, take the "Bu" off of 'Buzzz;" this thread has become mostly "zzzz"! But SailFlow still thinks in the high teens/low 20s for Saturday. That excitement will probably be modified as Saturday's forecasts draw closer. Hopefully the race won't become a "zzzz" too.

Wind beginning to look more 3-Bridge "normal" - mostly NW between 9 and 121 knots. Hmmm. That wild idea of going around Red Rock first might be changing to a more conventional route.

That's quite a range. 9 would be okay. 121 would be a bit sporty.