Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three Bridge Sailing Instructions Updated 1/23/2016

Default Three Bridge Sailing Instructions Updated 1/23/2016

Racers – Please review the Three Bridge Sailing Instruction updated 1/23/2016 to clarify “PHRF Policy for the Three Bridge Fiasco”.

I just want to make sure I understand the Bay Bridge restricted zone: The entire fleet has to squeeze through the little gap right up against YBI (where there's usually no wind)? According to the LONTAM, this is the G-H span (the wide one) but we can only use about 1/3 of it, closest to the island.
    Last edited by BobJ; 01-23-2016 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I just want to make sure I understand the Bay Bridge restricted zone: The entire fleet has to squeeze through the little gap right up against YBI (where there's usually no wind)? According to the LONTAM, this is the G-H span (the wide one) but we can only use about 1/3 of it, closest to the island.
    Huh? Well, all you fancy schmancy racing boats better watch out, because my boat has a BIG stern and lots of dings.
    Last edited by Philpott; 01-23-2016 at 08:36 PM.

Where's that photo . . . oh here it is:

Up close and personal.

I haven't done this race for a few years - but I'm signed up for this one and looking forward to it. The bridge restricted zone is new and the choke point will be an exciting place to exchange gelcoat - particularly for slow anti's or fast clocks meeting boats coming the other way.

What happened to the Coast Guard restricted area on YB-Island just South of the Bridge? Is that gone, or will we be expected to make a sharp turn to squeeze through the 6 feet separating the bridge RZ from the CG RZ? How close can we get to the CG - outside their 9-11 generation of 100 yard keep out signs or is inside OK? Did anyone ask the CG and make sure the rank and file know, so that they don't waste their Saturday pointing their 50-cal at each of 300 drifting sailboats instead of chasing bad guys.

WS, the CG restricted zone still shows on the chartlet attached to the SI's. Make it interesting - shoot back.

I sent an e-mail to the R/C about getting permission from the Captain of the Port (assuming they're not working on the bridge on Saturday). The R/C says they're werkin' on it...

Al was able to get a positive response from CG with a new chartlet yesterday, however CG wanted to check with CalTran before we update and post the new SI's. Hang in there racers I think we will be OK...

I'm glad I don't have to negotiate my way over to Golden Gate Yacht Club through the city! I understand the Embarcadero is closed. I wouldn't know how to get there from Oakland if I couldn't drive along the Embarcadero then turn left on Bay Street! Sailing is so much simpler!

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

As it stands, the allowed passage looks like it is only about 350 wide, hugging close to the new T1 tower. Approach angles are also highly restricted. Traffic going both ways. Fun.

I'm going with what the PRO said at the skipper's meeting. Besides, skippers will have a helluva hard time knowing exactly where 500 feet is.