Page 40 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast

Thread: Interested in a boat for 2018 TransPac

Name:  Screenshot (Dec 29, 2017 1_51_28 PM).png
Views: 597
Size:  636.3 KB

I lost the connection and I was not about to rewrite it ... A screenshot then :-)

Name:  Screenshot (10).png
Views: 548
Size:  43.0 KB

Congrats, PJ! We'll miss you at Santa Cruz. Regarding "felt like the boat was slower than it should be".... probably was. Three things I'm aware of: 1) current down the coast of .5 to 1 knot (flowing northwest to southeast). 2) lotsa kelp to catch on the keel (and rudder), 3) sailing at night is almost always slower than daylight when you can see sail trim, reference landmarks, and kelp. Was the outboard pulled up when under sail?
    ~sleddog

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Congrats, PJ! We'll miss you at Santa Cruz. Regarding "felt like the boat was slower than it should be".... probably was. Three things I'm aware of: 1) current down the coast of .5 to 1 knot (flowing northwest to southeast). 2) lotsa kelp to catch on the keel (and rudder), 3) sailing at night is almost always slower than daylight when you can see sail trim, reference landmarks, and kelp. Was the outboard pulled up when under sail?
    ~sleddog
    I can tell you I was dearly missing Santa Cruz when it came time to hoist the boat out of the water. And it was good to know people at the harbor. Thanks for introducing me to the crowd about a year ago. It feels a bit like I left in a hurry ...

Yes, the engine was pulled out but the boat was being rocked so much with the cross swell that it was in and out of the water. The current may explain the poor tacks too. I must have picked up stuff because when I changed the jib I was under main sail only, doing zero knot but staying steady ... Part of that was also the autopilot acting a little weird, keeping the rudder 20 degrees off center. It was like I was hove to ... Later during the trip I spun the boat 360 ... Or stopped going into the wind.

There is a lot of orange jellyfish just off the Santa Cruz coast and I saw porpoises close to the bridge (I think that's what they were).

I'm hoping to do a few SSS races in 2018 and maybe practice runs to the Farallon islands.

Reflecting on the Raymarine saga ... It's now the third piece of equipment I sent of and they all came back testing good ... That's gotta say something about me as a troubleshooter!

I did have a good night sleep ��

It's possible but that does add to my overall expense, and it's very expensive. I need about a week to do my qualifier, I live in Charlotte, NC and have to haul my boat to the ocean. Trying to figure a way to cut expenses, wondering if I could sell my boat in Hawaii and avoid the cost of shipping back and hauling it back to NC.

Anyone looking to buy a Hobie 33 at the finish line?
    Last edited by SeanRhone; 01-02-2018 at 01:03 PM.

You might talk with Ronnie Simpson in Honolulu. Very knowledgeable and experienced sailor (not a yacht broker)
    Ronnie has his finger on the pulse of the Pacific, is a SHTP vet, and writes for sailing publications. I do not have his contact info, but someone here may have.

Sean, I can put you in touch with Ronnie.
    Send me a PM either here or at commodore@sfbaysss.org or dherrigel@gmail.com

There may also be some interest at the Nawiliwili Yacht Club.
    While there seems of be an unquenchable thirst for Olson 30's there, someone might be interested in a Hobie 33.

DH

Quote Originally Posted by SeanRhone View Post
    It's possible but that does add to my overall expense, and it's very expensive. I need about a week to do my qualifier, I live in Charlotte, NC and have to haul my boat to the ocean. Trying to figure a way to cut expenses, wondering if I could sell my boat in Hawaii and avoid the cost of shipping back and hauling it back to NC.

Anyone looking to buy a Hobie 33 at the finish line?
    In 2008 I sold my Santa Cruz 27 on Hawaii craigslist before I left. I had a contract drawn up that obligated the buyer to take the boat no Matter what unless the mast fell down, the keel fell off or I holed the hull. I got an unbelievable number of responses and had to choose between seven qualified buyers... not exaggerating!
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

The wind vane is back from Raymarine so I'm due for another trip up the mast to plug it up there and hopefully find out what is broken.

Wife and kid are going to Tahoe this weekend so I'll be at BYC Saturday and Sunday, maybe tomorrow and Friday too if anyone would like to offer their assistance as my life line.

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    The wind vane is back from Raymarine so I'm due for another trip up the mast to plug it up there and hopefully find out what is broken.

Wife and kid are going to Tahoe this weekend so I'll be at BYC Saturday and Sunday, maybe tomorrow and Friday too if anyone would like to offer their assistance as my life line.
    Your boat is at Berkeley Yacht Club?