Page 19 of 68 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: Interested in a boat for 2018 TransPac

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

OK you will probably have to do your qualifier locally. Still I would advise to get it done this summer!

I prepped my boat 3 times for pacific races -- Pac Cup 2012, LongPac 2015 and SHTP 2016, and you would think that the 2nd and 3rd would be no problem, but actually they were both a ton of work each...

I prepped my boat 3 times for pacific races -- Pac Cup 2012, LongPac 2015 and SHTP 2016, and you would think that the 2nd and 3rd would be no problem, but actually they were both a ton of work each...
    I'm starting to feel like Ray Liotto's character in Good Fellas.

Quote Originally Posted by OlyJeff View Post
    The qualifier is more difficult for me as I'm in WA state.
    I've given some thought about doing a qualifier from the PNW. It's not so bad. Get yourself up to Neah Bay, then 200nm out, 200nm back. Pick a reasonable weather window, which shouldn't be too hard to find in the summer. The plus of doing it on your on rather than Longpac is you can modify your start date to get "appropriate" conditions. You define appropriate. Obviously, you don't want to drift at 1 knot for 400nm and you don't want a storm either. Somewhere in between.
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Bermuda 1-2 on a Schumacher 28

Quote Originally Posted by OlyJeff View Post
    I wonder if a checklist exist. Like all the steps needed to get ready. Lots to do and I imagine a year can go by fast.
    We bought a boat in November of 2011 and sailed it across the Atlantic in July 2012. When my wife went to the boat in June, ahead of me, there were 300 items on her to do list. Preparing for an ocean crossing is all about the lists. Getting to the start line is truly the hardest part, because if you aren't proactive and diligent you will find yourself with the start approaching and an impossible volume of to do's to accomplish. This is the great thing about the qualifier. It forces you to get a lot of things done well ahead of time. Then you are left with roughly a year and a reasonable list. Not being ready for a qualifier a year in advance of the start puts you behind the curve in trying to get it all done in time.

Well I didn't mean to scare anybody -- some of the things I did to prep for the 2nd and 3rd times were optional things I took on, "nice but not strictly necessary." And some people just seem to jump aboard, more or less. I guess I'm a little more paranoid than that. We did win the "best prepped boat" trophy in 2012 though.

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    Well I didn't mean to scare anybody -- some of the things I did to prep for the 2nd and 3rd times were optional things I took on, "nice but not strictly necessary." And some people just seem to jump aboard, more or less. I guess I'm a little more paranoid than that. We did win the "best prepped boat" trophy in 2012 though.
    Class of 2016 "best prepped boat" here.

Quote Originally Posted by svShearwater View Post
    Class of 2016 "best prepped boat" here.
    Oh on PacCup? If so congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    Oh on PacCup? If so congrats!
    Yep. And congrats to you as well.

Thanks for that post Shearwater. It's giving me something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by svShearwater View Post
    Yep. And congrats to you as well.
    Thanks -- on our year, they told us that they really only considered DH boats for this award, as the work load is the same for any boat but DH has a lot less manpower, and are not semi-pro programs like some others. Very nice of them.