Page 51 of 68 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast

Thread: Interested in a boat for 2018 TransPac

Quote Originally Posted by Wylieguy View Post
    We ran it about 20/30 minutes.
    20/30 minutes? What did you use to charge the batteries ? And which generator was that?

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    20/30 minutes? What did you use to charge the batteries ? And which generator was that?
    An old Honda generator. Don't know the model #. But it was old and well-used. We fed the 120V output into the shore power connector to the boat's battery charger. We don't have an inboard.

The PacCup requires an engine. We switched the normal Nissan 6hp for a 3.5 Merc. Saved a few #. It got us the 6 or so miles from the offshore finish line to Kaneohe Bay. Also into Honolulu for the ship ride back.

Quote Originally Posted by Wylieguy View Post
    An old Honda generator. Don't know the model #. But it was old and well-used. We fed the 120V output into the shore power connector to the boat's battery charger.
    Darn ... about one year ago a buddy of mine advised me to put a charger inboard with shore power connection but I decided against because of cost. When the batteries went dead I chose to buy a 7.2A charger. This is one place where penny pinching is hurting me ... Double Espresso does have a shore power plug (I'm not sure where it leads though).

I'm going to ask Amazon if they can exchange :-)

Darn ... about one year ago a buddy of mine advised me to put a charger inboard with shore power connection but I decided against because of cost. When the batteries went dead I chose to buy a 7.2A charger. This is one place where penny pinching is hurting me ... Double Espresso does have a shore power plug (I'm not sure where it leads though).

The Honda generator did have a 12v output, but if I remember correctly, lit was better to put 120V thru the charger. I have the previous 120V charger and I could be persuaded to take it out of perpetual storage. The one we installed charges 2 batteries independently. The old one is a 1-battery model. I'd have to go to the storage unit (wild fires and my son's family living with us meant clearing out the garage) to give you more info on exactly what the charger is. I know it worked when I removed it and it's been in dry storage since. broderic (at) sonic (dot) net -- is the way to contact me.

Despite being out of the 30 day window Amazon accepted the return. Cool, that's money for something a little more powerful.

As an FYI I'll share that the record holder for Olson 30d on the SHTP left with one battery and a tiny Tanaka generator. We're not going to break that if we leave with two batteries, solar panel + mount, a charger, a larger generator (comparatively) and fuel. Not that I would anyway ...

4 Olson 30s registered now ... And there's a fifth one in Pt Richmond ...

The Honda generator only outputs like 5-8A on the DC side. An much larger shore charger can be used on the AC side.

As an FYI I'll share that the record holder for Olson 30d on the SHTP left with one battery and a tiny Tanaka generator. We're not going to break that if we leave with two batteries, solar panel + mount, a charger, a larger generator (comparatively) and fuel. Not that I would anyway ...
    A truly great performance.

88 BILL STANGE INTENSE OLSEN 30 96 11:15:21:23 09:06:49:23 NEW RECORD
    Last edited by WBChristie; 03-15-2018 at 07:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by solosailor View Post
    The Honda generator only outputs like 5-8A on the DC side. A much larger shore charger can be used on the AC side.
    Yes that's what I read elsewhere: I'm better off putting a regular charger in the AC outlet.

After all the horror stories I've been told about energy management ... I've been a little more aggressive with the budget and it now shows that I'll need something between 30 and 70 Amps. Assuming I'm sea sick for the first 48 hours, with VHF/AIS and auto-pilot on 24 hrs, I'll need those 70 Amps ...

Ok ... so that spells a large charger and a generator because if it's cloudy I may get a few amps from the solar panel but not much. I think the generators that don't suffer from the boat's heeling are the 2 stroke engines. A four stroke may require an oil pan to be flat (I think). 2 strokes are also lighter (used to be at least) but they've become rare.