Page 29 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Thread: Interested in a boat for 2018 TransPac

I'm planning to leave tomorrow morning, go West from Santa Cruz for 24 hours and turn around, or something like that. Forecasts are calling for heavy winds and bumpy seas. I don't anticipate more than I've seen already but thought it'd be wise to see if anyone would be opposed here ...

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    I'm planning to leave tomorrow morning, go West from Santa Cruz for 24 hours and turn around, or something like that. Forecasts are calling for heavy winds and bumpy seas. I don't anticipate more than I've seen already but thought it'd be wise to see if anyone would be opposed here ...
    Well, I turned around. The short of it is: "it wasn't worth it". The boat was taking a beating, water was sloshing around all over inside. The apparent wind didn't go over 30 kts (mostly 20-25 kts) and the boat was mostly balanced. But the auto-tiller wasn't doing too well so I was steering most of the time. With cross swell there was only so much I was able to avoid and I got drenched many times. I still lack proper foulies and got wet; merino wool works great though. I went almost all the way to that 46FLO buoy and chose to turn around. The sail back was just as unpleasant, with the seas just abaft the beam. I got stuck for two hours with no wind at the end before making it to the harbor. I didn't have the desire to clean the boat and left lines uncoiled and the jib bunched up in the cabin. I was not a happy camper on this trip ...

Things I've learned:

1. Pump the bilge early;
    2. Put hatch boards into place when necessary;
    3. When I think of doing something do it then;
    4. I need a shorter bucket for #2 and bigger bags to hold the delivery.

What broke? One of the fire extinguisher bracket.

Angry ... is how I was when I came back.

Doesn't sound like a lot of fun. The Olson doesn't take much water in the bilge to have it sloshing a over, that a downside to the shallow hull shape . A couple of gallons will feel like the boat is sinking.
    Glad nothing serious broke.

Well, I turned around.

. . .

Angry ... is how I was when I came back.
    Sounds like you made the right call under the circumstances.

Sailing out of San Diego, too little wind is far more often a problem than too much. At the bottom of the So Cal Bite, and in the lee of the Channel Islands, we frequently have no wind at all overnight. On my last attempt at the sort of thing you were trying, a week ago Monday, the forecast was for decent wind from the south all that day and into the night. I set out hoping to just sail west for 24 hours or more, then back. At 1200, as I left SD bay, the wind was west of south, and gradually clocked further around from the west as the day wore on. So, letting the Monitor keep us on a close reach, our track curved from WNW to NW, until the wind fell off and died altogether at about 2000. At that point I was half way to Catalina Island, so I gave up sailing, and motored on to Avalon.

Frustrating, to say the least. Oh well. We can only sail with what the weather gives us.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Sailor View Post
    Sounds like you made the right call under the circumstances.
    Frustrating, to say the least. Oh well. We can only sail with what the weather gives us.
    Very true ... Sorry to hear of your mis-start too ...

I learned one more thing: don't let emotions get the best of you. It's not that they're a problem in and out of themselves but they tire me down mentally, which I pay a price for later on ...

I was at the boat yesterday to clean it a bit. Every compartment was wet, with water pooling including the battery compartment and in the nav table. While rummaging around I discovered vent cap. The previous owner said that indeed I must close that vent when it gets wet. I mostly completed the installation of the Pelagic auto-pilot. All that's left is power. I found out that I can fit my 6'6" body in the stern lazarette. It's not exactly comfortable but I can sit there just fine and do work.

A few videos:

Upwind: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...zJzX2NQYlFoU3M

Downwind: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...nhjMy1VaXVzYzA

Here it is: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_9...dMVUVIQjA/view

It happens about the 40 secs mark ...
    deep reef going on there and still booking.

Philippe, nice videos.
    You'll like the Pelagic Autopilot, really works well and the remote control is super handy. I can gybe from the foredeck using the remote while I change the spinnaker pole.

Dave

The autopilot is in! Real life tests coming soon.
    Name:  IMG_20170617_142508.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  925.5 KB

The autopilot is in! Real life tests coming soon.
    Name:  IMG_20170617_142508.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  925.5 KB
    Installed my auto pilot today as well, ST-2000. I question their design on a few things. 1) The adapter for the wiring only accepts 12 gauge wire and smaller 2) I had to use the pedestal for the install to raise the height to keep the auto pilot level and the hardware for the pedestal was "weak".

You'd think that something designed for sailboats of up to 10,000lbs would be designed to be a little more "beefy". I ended up using 12 gauge wire at the power adapter and then spicing in 10 gauge wire for the 18' run to the panel. As for a backing plate instead of wood I used FR4 (http://www.eplastics.com/G9-G10-FR4-glass-epoxy-sheet) 12x12 1/4 inch panel cut into 3 4 inch strips and epoxied together.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanRhone View Post
    Installed my auto pilot today as well, ST-2000.
    Looks like we're all making progress towards our goals!