Page 41 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast

Thread: Interested in a boat for 2018 TransPac

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Your boat is at Berkeley Yacht Club?
    Brickyard Cove ... I thought that's what BYC stood for :-)

I was at Brickyard Cove today. Traffic wasn't bad as I left late in the morning and returned about 6pm.

I was asked to move the trailer to a smaller slot since my boat & trailer fit under the 30.5 max for 30' slips. It's a tight fit.

I went to fix the navigation lights and bring back a few items to the boat. I can't run the dehumidifier anymore (not allowed) and the boat is wet inside again. If anyone wants a free dehumidifier ...

After the rains the bilge was full. I tried to pump it dry but not much was coming out. The pin holding the handle had come off and putting it back in place was an interesting feat: my head down the hatch with a hand pushing the pin and the other trying to keep the handle in place to align the pin and the hole, with no eye seeing what I was doing. It took a bit of trying ... Unfortunately that pin is not secured in place as it looks like the bolt and nut are missing. Gosworth sells it for $2.10 but shipping is prohibitive ...

Next was fixing the navigation lights. How even the smallest boat projects turn into 4 hour efforts I do not know ... The navigation lights are ATTWOOD 3500 Series LED, 2 NM bi-color. There's also a guard protecting it. Removing the guard proved interesting; 3 long bolts were holding into place, with nuts on the other side. Of course screwing the bolt off ... the nut would go with it. So I used vice pliers to keep the nut in place (the pliers were stuck against the hull). All of this is happening in that tight corner above and under deck. Of course some nuts went rolling. I finally got to open the nav lights box and found only one cable (from the battery) connected to the lights. The cables were live. What seemed to have happen is that due to salt corrosion one of the power cables broke off. There was no way to "re-attach" it so I connected it to the cable connecting the LEDs. That seems to work. I think what happened here is that the base of the box was bolted flush with the deck, but the deck is not flat, causing a bit of a bend, where water found its way. Hopefully this fix will last (I did put some of that rubberish putty in there). We'll see.

I got to meet Shad who was bringing his Olson 30 down from Montana. The boat was going through a general inspection. It loos great! Competition is building up :-)

Anyone available to help me go up the mast tomorrow or Sunday?

Name:  IMG_20180112_155131574_HDR.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  770.0 KB
    Last edited by jamottep; 01-12-2018 at 09:30 PM.

Today was my first sail out of Brickyard. It was a nice day. I wanted to explore the TBF course. For the most part it was good wind. I didn't get to check the Red Rock. That'll be for another day.

I sailed to the starting line then went to the Golden Gate bridge and under. It was hard to turn around and not only because wind and tide were collaborating to push me in the open. Getting back took a while and I went back to the starting line and Yerba Buena island. I discovered that I need to give it a wide berth to avoid its shadow. I motored a bit. Coming back took a while as the wind was very light. I motored again. Finally I reached the wind again and started making my way to Brickyard. It was getting dark so the lights went on. Approaching the marina I took the sails down and motored. I discovered that the steaming light doesn't work too.

About 150 yards from the dock the engine died out of gas. I resorted to the SUP paddle to make my way upwind.

If putting the boat in the water singlehanded is a piece of work at Brickyard; taking it out is harder.

I think it's about 45/60 minutes more time spent moving the boat than at SYC. Hopefully things will improve.

All in all it was a good long day.

Good on ya, Phillipe, for getting around the course today! The back side of Yerba Buena is a bad place to be in an ebb tide and no wind. Give it a wide berth. Lots of people got stuck in there last year and some were "bumping" the CG Cutter. The Coasties frown on this....big time. Go wide. When I was berthed at TI, I would head straight for the cutter to drop my sails because I could count on the nice calm conditions while it was blowing mid 20s just outside of the island's shadow. In light wind and an ebb, it's near impossible to fight your way out.

I can probably help you with mast climbing this week (Thursday or Friday), if you are free. I felt badly that I couldn't offer help today, but was busy all weekend with boat projects, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    Good on ya, Philippe, for getting around the course today! The back side of Yerba Buena is a bad place to be in an ebb tide and no wind. Give it a wide berth. Lots of people got stuck in there last year and some were "bumping" the CG Cutter. The Coasties frown on this....big time. Go wide. When I was berthed at TI, I would head straight for the cutter to drop my sails because I could count on the nice calm conditions while it was blowing mid 20s just outside of the island's shadow. In light wind and an ebb, it's near impossible to fight your way out.
    What was interesting is that I was sailing downwind when I got to West side of Yerba Buena Island, from the GG, when the wind died. I motored round the South end of it, then, on the East side, I sailed downwind again ...

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    I can probably help you with mast climbing this week (Thursday or Friday), if you are free. I felt badly that I couldn't offer help today, but was busy all weekend with boat projects, too.
    Thank you! And good on you for getting things done!

If it's not done by Thursday it'll have to wait as my wife is leaving for a couple of weeks, which leaves me alone to care for our daughter. I should be at the marina tomorrow again and I'll update here if plans for Thursday. I may have to spend a little more time up there as I need to figure out what the problem is and it could be up there, with the connector or the connections to the connector. Mystery ...

Worked on the boat again:

1. Locked the handle pin of the bilge pump handle with a bolt and self locking nut;
    2. Went up the first spreaders 3 times to fix the steaming light (it was a connector in the cabin) and re-secure the caps;
    3. Went up the second spreaders to re-secure the caps (with tape);
    4. Replaced the Kidde fire extinguishers with the new ones (recall).

No sailing after all that time pulling my 230lbs up the mast.

Has the RRC been posted yet? Time frames on when fees have to be met etc?

Quote Originally Posted by SeanRhone View Post
    Has the RRC been posted yet? Time frames on when fees have to be met etc?
    All Race docs and fee schedules are posted on Jibeset as of this evening...

DH

I was checking battery voltage the other day and playing with the switches ... Some readings didn't make sense. I spoke to Pete Rowland, who (freely) advised me to try to charge the battery using a regular charger. I bought a charger and tried to charge one of the battery. The next day the diagnostic light indicated the battery couldn't hold a charge. I tried to charge the second one, with not much more luck. I had both batteries tested at West Marine and they were both due for replacement. One was past the 18 months warranty by 12 days but West Marine Richmond honored the warranty (yeah!) and the other one was 11 months old.

Now, the previous owner also lost a battery during his PacCup bid. I think there's something wrong with the setup. Just maybe ...

Here's how it goes:

1. Solar panel feeds into controller;
    2. Controller feeds into a 1+2 switch;
    3. There's a 1+2 switch to the 12 V panel too;
    4. There's a mini automatic relay in the middle of it all.

I'm not sure I see what an automatic relay can do where there are manual switches. I've been advised to take it out. That's my plan when I'll put the new batteries in.

I have one home and I put it on the charger: it was barely 50% charged coming out of the store.

I'm really happy I caught this now.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    All Race docs and fee schedules are posted on Jibeset as of this evening...

DH
    And at http://sfbaysss.org/main/shtp-2018/