Page 54 of 68 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast

Thread: Interested in a boat for 2018 TransPac

D-83

I finished Vito's book a few days ago. His adventure puts things in perspective ... I've started "party of one" and have ordered "Cap Horn à la voile".

I've got a few saved searches on CL but they're not looking promising. A while ago I had mentioned that the sheave on the jib lead car was pretty worn out; I snapped one on eBay as a backup or most likely replacement for $30 (the whole car).

No suggestion on main halyard failure management?

I spent the weekend teaching.

Oh, and anyone has a (very) specific suggestion for wool to wool spinnakers? Like a link ... Mine is just too strong.

I've continued to update the pre-departure checklist as things come to mind. Brian B got me thinking about how I spend my time at sea:

8:00: boil water, pour over dry food
    8:15: check sail trim
    8:30: eat
    8:45: make grib/weather chart request; check in
    9:00: personal hygiene
    9:15: check sail trim
    9:30: review routing options for next 24 hrs
    10:00: log book entry
    10:15: stuff cockpit pockets with snacks & water, steer
    12:00: log book entry
    12:15: sleep
    13:15: check sail trim
    13:30: boil water, pour over
    13:45: deck walk through
    14:00: log book entry
    14:15: lunch
    14:30: steer
    16:00: log book entry
    16:15: family communication
    16:30: sleep
    17:30: personal hygiene
    17:45: check sail trim
    18:00: log book entry
    18:15: a surprise I'll have to attend to
    19:00: boil water
    19:15: check sail trim
    19:30: dinner
    19:45: deck walkthrough before night
    20:00: log book entry
    20:15: steer
    22:00: log book entry
    22:15: sleep
    23:00: sail trim check
    23:15: sleep
    00:00: log book entry
    00:15: personal hygiene
    00:30: steer
    02:00: log book entry
    02:15: another surprise
    03:00: sleep
    04:00: log book entry
    04:15: sail trim check
    04:30: sleep
    05:30: sail trim check
    05:45: personal hygiene
    06:00: log book entry
    06:15: sail trim check
    06:30: sleep
    07:30: sail trim check
    07:45: personal hygiene

Is this even remotely close? The surprises include things as sail changes too not just problems. If I counted correctly that's 6.5 hrs of sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    ...No suggestion on main halyard failure management?...
    I have an opinion. First the disclaimers: I am not very experience so may be overly conservative. My boat is a heavy displacement boat so much different than yours.

I have two main, two jib and two spinnaker halyards all reaching the water. (Not to mention a staysail halyard and a topping lift.) Racing enthusiasts tell me to messenger the redundant halyards and vacuum pack them in bundles down below.

I don't do that because when I need them, I imagine I will be in a hurry. There will be only me to get them and possibly, even likely, there will be something of higher priority.

The scenarios I imaging are: First halyard breaks; First halyard out of reach; Climb mast to free jam; Backstay needs reinforcing; Shroud breaks; Person in water needs rescue; Flying second headsail; Need second topping lift; Pre-rig storm sail; Lift to drag heavy sail up deck safely; Need for shrimping.

I don't see that the lowered weight aloft and wind resistance is a decisive factor outweighing the ready access to the above solutions for a singlehander (on a heavy boat).

This is one of the many decisions one makes before leaving the dock. Ask those with experiences (as you are) and make your decision.

Make sure the sheave is in good shape (smooth) and stitch some of this on the last foot or so (where the halyard goes over the sheave) - same for all the halyards:

http://www.apsltd.com/new-england-ro...tra-cover.html

My boat came with wire halyards (remember those?) and the sheaves were chewed. I replaced all of them before buying new halyards. I'll bet that's already been done on your boat.

D-81

Thanks for the suggestions. I looked up some of the stuff I had and it does appear that the sheaves were taken care of and a chafe guard was put in place. So I think that's good. I do need to think through the backup plan if for some reason the main sail should become detached from the main halyard.

Would anyone have had experience with Lee Chesneau's Surface Pressure Chart Workshop? I'm considering attending it at the upcoming boat show.
    Last edited by jamottep; 04-04-2018 at 09:02 PM.

"Would anyone have had experience with Lee Chesneau's Surface Pressure Chart Workshop?"

Over the years, I've sat in on several of Lee's seminars, including surface and 500 mB ones. I also have his 'Heavy Weather Avoidance' book. He knows what he's talking about, his lessons are clear, and I'm glad I took the time to listen to him.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgmo View Post
    Over the years, I've sat in on several of Lee's seminars, including surface and 500 mB ones. I also have his 'Heavy Weather Avoidance' book. He knows what he's talking about, his lessons are clear, and I'm glad I took the time to listen to him.
    Thanks ... I'm going then ...

Re halyard lost up the mast.

This happened to me once due to a really stupid mistake on my part. I am fortunate in that I have a small flag halyard through a block mounted on the masthead plate. I rigged up an 18 inch piece of fiberglass tent pole (I carry several of these aboard) with a hook of rigging wire taped to one end. Attached top and bottom of the stick to the flag halyard and sent it up the mast. Took me about an hour of nibbles but finally got a good bite on the halyard shackle and was able to pull it down. I felt pretty good about it and celebrated with a cold beer, most likely more than one.

BTW after the rigging seminar I bought a spool of SS rigging wire on Amazon. pretty good deal and that stuff will be useful for all sorts of things including the above.

I'm adding a block to the masthead and will run a messenger line to the transom, from toe rail to toe rail like a split backstay.
    Should be light and out of the way but there if needed.

I'll run a fresh main halyard and keep the old one for the backup.
    It is in good shape other than chafe at the clutch.

This looks like a very worthwhile seminar: https://pacificcup.org/18/event/poa-5

Registration 11:00
    Welcome and introductions Mark English 12:00
    Weather Knowledge Lee Chesneau 12:10
    Navigation: SF to Hawaii Stan Honey 12:45
    Navigation: Hawaii to SF Mike Pasha 1:30
    Break out session #1 1:40
    Going Green to Hawaii and Back Rowena Carlson/Bill Robberson 2:10
    Power Dustin Fox 2:45
    Break out session #2 3:10
    Panel Q&A 3:30

D-80

I did a little bit of scrubbing today and Double Espresso looks a little nicer. I also went sailing to The Brothers. Going up there is tricky. After the bridge the wind was down about half and on the way back I got into a wind hole by Red Rock.