Page 8 of 68 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Thread: Interested in a boat for 2018 TransPac

Quote Originally Posted by SeanRhone View Post
    That is a heck of an idea! I paid $18k for my Hobie 33 and will probably put another $30k into it to get to the finish line. Not having to spend $6k or $7k to ship back and also haul it back to the east coast.

I can see where some people would consider an offer.
    Didn't the first to finish Olson 30 sell in Hawaii this year?
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Bermuda 1-2 on a Schumacher 28

Quote Originally Posted by svShearwater View Post
    Didn't the first to finish Olson 30 sell in Hawaii this year?
    I think the story was that someone tried to sail it back home but it was taking too much water in (hence my original concern about Double Espresso being wet inside) and he turned around after a few days. I think you're right that it was sold in HI after that.

Quote Originally Posted by svShearwater View Post
    For us, it was mostly time. Because it was a new boat to us we wanted to sail it a lot. So, we weren't working on the boat every weekend. We were also fortunate to already have a lot of the major safety equipment; life raft, sat phone,etc. still, just getting the electronics installed, the charging system, e rudder, and a million little details, took mucho time.

Oh, and it cost us $3500 to ship a 28 footer via Pasha in 2016. Better pricing than previous years, I think.
    Speaking of life rafts, I'm planning on renting one from http://www.avalonrafts.com/index.htm, anyone have experience with this company?

This could be a nice platform for the SHTP...
    https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/5938230133.html

Quote Originally Posted by Oceanslogic View Post
    This could be a nice platform for the SHTP...
    https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/5938230133.html
    Very nice boat indeed. Note the transom-hung rudder; no rudder post issues: packing, breaking, etc. Simple emergency rudder replacement. I have a friend from Kauai who has gone back and forth on this boat twice. He says it is comfortable on the ocean.
    Last edited by Philpott; 01-03-2017 at 01:11 PM.

Rudder replacement in the ocean means you will need a cassette that you can slot the replacement rudder into. Or some sort of swing down mechanism. Unless the boat is perfectly still in the water you will almost certainly not be able to put the rudder back on and line things up; any water movement gives the rudder much much more leverage than you can manage. Certainly one advantage is a bent rudder post won't leave you with a jammed rudder and unable remove it. Rudder post allows below decks autopilots to be more easily installed (keeping stuff out of the saltwater.....generally good). Keep in mind whatever autopilot is attached to the tiller may be lost depending on how the transom hung rudder fails.

Boats looks solid......grab it and get started!!

I agree with Chris. I'd much prefer a rudder post than a transom hung rudder, primarily because your autopilot options are much better (operationally and longevity) if you have a rudder post where you can attach the autopilot belowdecks.

Also, transom hung rudders have a history of failures going to Hawaii. Primarily with failed gudgeons. Perhaps, the failure rate is no higher than standard rudders. I can't say for sure.

The advantage of a transom hung rudder seems to begin only after the failure. Easy to remove and it implies your boat is already setup with a tiller which makes the e-rudder tiller easier to implement and connect to an autopilot. With our e-rudder we were able to add some nice redundancies. We made the gudgeons of the e-rudder identical spacing as the primary gudgeons. This means if the primary gudgeons fail, the primary rudder could be moved to the secondary gudgeons (assuming the sea state permits this). It also means that if the primary rudder blade fails, then the e-rudder cassette can be attached to the primary gudgeons, on centerline.

Name:  IMG_0109_1-e1463362597974.jpg
Views: 909
Size:  1.87 MB

Name:  IMG_0108_1-e1463362580561-700x933.jpg
Views: 1069
Size:  270.7 KB
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Bermuda 1-2 on a Schumacher 28

Who is still looking for a boat? Here's another nice looking platform...
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/boa/5956235065.html

I'm almost there. In fact a couple questions:

1. Is the life raft requirement only for the SHTP or does it also apply to the singlehanded Farallones and LongPac? I have an opportunity to buy one but it's due for service two months before the SHTP 2018. So I'm inclined to not acquire if not needed for the prior races.

2. I should have a boat here soon and I am signed up for the Three Bridge Fiasco. But ... I have zero experience racing. Would anyone want to help me with my first race? It's an Olson 30.

Thanks for sharing your advise so far.

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    ...1. Is the life raft requirement only for the SHTP or does it also apply to the singlehanded Farallones and LongPac? I have an opportunity to buy one but it's due for service two months before the SHTP 2018. So I'm inclined to not acquire if not needed for the prior races...
    The 2015 Longpac required a liferaft similar to the SHTP2016. Not the Farallons.

The 2015 MERs (Minimum Equipment Requirements) are here:
    https://www.jibeset.net/JACKY000.php?RG=T005953377