Page 21 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Interested in a boat for 2018 TransPac

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    Don't mean to highjack my own thread, which is now there to chronicle my slow progress :-)

When I said I was starting checklists ... Well, looking back those were not checklists ... I need to start planning ...

I was wondering if you felt like your thread was highjacked. I have enjoyed it. keep sharing.
    Jeff

Renewed PHRF certificate!

I went here and noticed I'm not listed as a member but I paid the dues last year ... Who can I check with to confirm SSS membership status?

https://www.jibeset.net/JACKY000.php?RG=T039266395

On the topic of knot vs splice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLZUfPZbU3s

Seems pretty clear cut to me ...

[QUOTE]Seems pretty clear cut to me .../QUOTE]
    No doubt...A splice will nearly give you the same strength as the line, where a knot is almost half as strong.
    I think the reasoning for knots on halyards is ability to retie if you happen to chafe through. Simply cut and retie. You're not going to be putting breaking loads on your halyard, so the line breaking is not the issue, chafe is.
    Personally I like eye splice on halyards. I just have enough length to cut off the old chafe.
    I read somewhere that some guys put axle grease on the splice and sheave before the start of a race. Sounds messy but better than chafe. I'm sure there are more opinions on this.

On the topic of knot vs splice: Seems pretty clear cut to me ...
    Your mileage may vary. Good luck.

One of the reasons I like the fisherman's bend for halyard shackles is that there are 2 wraps around the shackle eye to spread load and chafe. An eye in the halyard only provides 1 loop and since it tends to be loose, I think can work more than a tightly tied fisherman's bend and chafe The more bearing surface, the less chafe. Check out a few boats on your dock. Those that just loop the mooring line's eye over the cleat vs. those that feed it thru and then over both horns.

The fisherman's bend is used to attach line to chain in ground tackle, so is a very strong knot. I don't think most of our boats' halyards face anything like YouTube test shows. I've never had a fisherman's bend even appear to slip and had to cut every one off because I couldn't untie it. The halyard tension on a Wyliecat is great for a 30 foot boat since the sail is essentially the size of a standard 30 footer's main and jenny.

I don't know about axle grease? It's important to match line diameter with sheave radius and size to avoid wear. And check the sheave surface to make sure it is smooth and not nicked. Sheaves wear out, too.

One of the reasons I like the fisherman's bend for halyard shackles is that there are 2 wraps around the shackle eye to spread load and chafe
    Sounds like a plan to me. Just got a new main. I gonna try your way.
    I don't think any of the halyards come close to breaking tension.

I went here and noticed I'm not listed as a member but I paid the dues last year ... Who can I check with to confirm SSS membership status?
    SSS memberships all expire on Dec. 31. You need to sign up every year, as early as you plan to race.

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    SSS memberships all expire on Dec. 31. You need to sign up every year, as early as you plan to race.
    I did:

J Jibeset Membership Welcome

Date: 12/23/16
    Racer: Philippe Jamotte
    Sail Number: 94061
    Boat Name: JAMOTTE
    SSS - Membership
    Thank you for your 2017 SSS Membership and welcome aboard!

#180, near the bottom.