Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
2. I should have a boat here soon and I am signed up for the Three Bridge Fiasco. But ... I have zero experience racing. Would anyone want to help me with my first race? It's an Olson 30.
3BF could be a wee bit daunting for your first-ever race. If an ugly forecast doesn't keep people at home, there will be a LOT of boats out there, and the starting area will be especially intimidating. Ditto Blackaller.
But it's cool, man! Boats everywhere! An awesome experience, especially if there's decent wind. You haven't sailed SF Bay until you've done 3BF (says the guy who's just barely finished a couple of them).

I'll leave real racing and O30 advice to others. My 2 cents:

* Sail conservatively and avoid trouble, especially if you're just getting familiar with your boat. Seems every year there are a few avoidable problems in the fleet.
* If you're in Redwood City, or just not a real morning person (I am not), consider anchoring or taking a slip Friday night so you can sleep in and be sorted out at the city front well ahead of time.
* Be on starboard tack. Or at least when the Moore 24s are getting in a frenzy nearby.