Page 12 of 68 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Thread: Interested in a boat for 2018 TransPac

[QUOTE=Steevee;16645 I'll keep you posted and you keep looking for your boat and follow your dream. You can do it, I can do it because others have done it. Good Luck! Let's keep inspiring one another. Love![/QUOTE]

Thank you! That's really nice of you to say.

And thanks for the suggestions AlanH. I did check the Scampi and posted about the boat last year.

It's simple for me. Based on everyone's comment about the time it takes to prepare a boat, the little spare time I have and the lack of familiarity with extensive boat repairs, I can only see an almost ready boat in my future. In my budget 20-30k I haven't seen many so far. So it doesn't matter if I'll push an ULDB all the way. I mean if I'd find a trimaran that meets all SHTP requirements and it'd fit my budget I'd buy that. I don't care to win. My main goal is to gain single handed offshore sailing experience in a somewhat safe context). If it all goes great then I'll move on to the next level for me.

Still set to buy DE for now unless something else shows up in the next few days.

Thanks for keeping the thread alive!

Has anyone put an automatic bilge pump in an Olson 30? The owner of the boat I'm looking at says he pumps out the water when it rains. I wouldn't be close enough to the boat to warrant a drive every time it rains. If you have done this ... what was your solution? Open to suggestions from other informed owners of course ... Also I tend to think this would be quite the smart thing to do for a single handed sailor: if you're bucketing water out you can't do much anything else to fix the problem.

Also to close on dry storage ... my only options are BYC and Santa Cruz? Or is Alameda still open (well the crane is down based on latest posts so not sure it's a viable option anyway).

You may be overthinking this one. I see two real possibilities. First, if you are serious about SHTP in 2018 then you WILL be at the boat regularly and a little rain water in between visits won't hurt anything. It is a boat after all. The other option is the rain entry point is so generous that you can easily do something about it to make is reasonable.

I can't see any real possibility that your boat could take on a meaningful amount of water from rainwater during the time you are prepping for SHTP. Besides, you live in California. It ain't the tropics.

That said, installing an electric bilge pump is pretty easy and can be done to virtually any boat. Bucket versus electric pump? Does an O30 have a bilge sump? I'm assuming it doesn't, in which case when you are sailing, the water is going to slosh all over the place and no pump will be useful. Neither will a bucket. You'll be using a sponge. We put a hole in our foredeck on Day 4 going to Hawaii last summer. We bailed 5 buckets of water a day. It wasn't fun, but no electric or manual pump was helpful. Our "bilge" is the equivalent of a flattish plate, so we had a 1/2" of water everywhere. Not something pumps are good at.

Last comment. If you don't have an engine with an alternator, you won't get much out of an electric bilge pump without draining the battery.
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Bermuda 1-2 on a Schumacher 28

+2 on sponges. +3 on a dehumidifier if you can get it to the boat......its changes everything. Get a very large one. The boat will smell better wet sails will dry ........

Thanks ... all makes sense ...

Well this is a little late in the game but things change. How about a previous SHTP winner?
    I was planning to race Starbuck in the SSS singlehanded series this year before putting her up for sale to find something smaller. But I had to miss the Fiasco and now the Corinthian probably as well. Members here can likely tell you more about the boat and history than I but if you want to take a look let me know.
    Stephen
    Name:  Around the Rocks-2013-Starbuck.JPG
Views: 727
Size:  1.13 MB

Name:  Starbuckshtp.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  35.2 KB
    Greg starting SHTP in 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by Tchoupitoulas View Post
    Well this is a little late in the game
    Man that was close, real close. But yes too late now ... Double Espresso changed hands Sunday.

Need a life raft and life jacket, jack lines and harness/tether.

Congrats on the new boat. You're gonna love it.