Page 33 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: Interested in a boat for 2018 TransPac

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    A quickie on Google drive....Well, I've learned that it all happens in the sail locker
    Interesting; I would think the conditions vis-a-vis bathing, personal hygiene, clothes washing, sleeping, and the lack thereof would reduce inspiration for such activities.

Now, where is that sign-up form, again?

"I like sailing solo, I really do. The experience is much more engaging. On a crewed boat everything is about human interaction. There is no activity that is not part of the group, none. Many decisions are taken out of one's control. Every move, every action is part of the larger picture. Solo, everything is about being part of a magical moment of sea, wind, technology and oneself coming together, in a constantly changing exchange of perception and action. Clipper may help me become a better sailor and a better person, but sailing solo is really where I find my way."

Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanikai View Post
    Interesting; I would think the conditions vis-a-vis bathing, personal hygiene, clothes washing, sleeping, and the lack thereof would reduce inspiration for such activities.

Now, where is that sign-up form, again?
    If everyone smells the same the personal hygiene will be less of a problem...

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    ... I had been wandering about sex aboard. Take a mixed crew of 20 and put them at sea for 20 days, things are sure to happen. Clipper policies are silent on this topic. Well, I've learned that it all happens in the sail locker ... I do plan to stay out of that stuff.
    Yeah, these are the Clipper stories that everyone really wants to hear about How did you find out it happens in the sail locker?

Ok ... about the sail locker ...

I wish I'd have a story along the lines of ... After coming down from my watch exhausted, skipper asked me to check if the code 2 spinnaker had been wool'ed. I went down to the sail locker and started lifting heavy sail bags to figure out which one was the code 2. I found it stuck upside down under a bunk and blocked by the yankee 1. I couldn't get access to the spinnaker to see if it had been packed properly. So I proceeded to make room to reach the opening of the bag and maybe get my hand in there to check for wool ties. A bit of huffing and puffing and I finally got to it. The wool ties were there and all was good. I fell down in exhaustion on the bag and relaxed for a moment trying to catch up some strength before going back to skipper with the good news. I heard a heavy "clang" and figured the sail locker's door had closed under its own weight. I turned around and that's when I saw her.

I really was just intrigued by the fact that the policies on the fleet didn't say a word about interactions between crew (I do think skippers shouldn't engage with crew). I just mentioned it someone who had it from a previous participant that it does happen and it happens in the sail locker. And someone else said: "there's loads of relationships going on" ...

How about Olson 30, there is one for sale at MDR, away lower than $20,000. You can spare money to refit for single hand.

Sorry I just realize my post is out of date.
    Last edited by cpt_757; 08-10-2017 at 01:46 PM.

Another day on Double Espresso today. Wind around 20 kts with gusts to 27. I was tense and uncomfortable, almost getting seasick. I just wasn't familiar with the boat anymore, in those conditions. I'm still trying to make friends with the autopilot.
    However it was my lucky day in a way as I made a couple useful discoveries:
    1. The knot meter doesn't measure speed the same on each tack. It's off center, to starboard. So on starboard tack it reads about 1 kt too fast. And that explains why I thought one tack was slower than the other.
    2. I was holding on the jib sheet with AWA between 40-50. I had trimmed the jib nicely using tell tales. Then while fiddling with something else I let the sheet go a little. No way I could get it back without going to leeward with the winch handle so I let it be. And that's when I noticed the boat speed jump 1 kt! 1 f***ing kt that I had been sitting on because I didn't experiment more. I wonder what else is hiding :-) Too bad I don't have a sail locker.

Coming back to the harbor the wind dropped to nothing a few hundred yards away and I paddled my way in, very slowly.

Not a bad day ...

I see Barry Bristol often (last night in fact) and I know his Capri 30 is for sale. It has completed the round trip twice to Hawaii and back. I am sure it would not be all that expensive.
    http://sfbaysss.org/forum/showthread...ri-30-for-sale
    Last edited by sdpaine@cox.net; 08-11-2017 at 07:47 PM.

Quickie update: replaced starboard compass.

A good day yesterday in Santa Cruz ... With 10kts of wind I practiced sailing with the spinnaker and did three runs. I also lost a winch handle ...
    Last edited by jamottep; 08-19-2017 at 06:04 PM.