Page 10 of 68 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast

Thread: Interested in a boat for 2018 TransPac

I can get one year in Santa Cruz but I'm not sure how I'd get the boat to the Bay with the mast up ... Motor and sail all the way up? Sure lots of tiller time there!

Congratulations on your new boat.
    In regards to your predicament, I believe you should keep the boat in the water close to home if your final goal is to just sail in the SHTP. You'll have more time on the water without hassle and that counts for a lot. Make it easy and it will be more enjoyable. Owning a boat is going to be hassle enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Oceanslogic View Post
    Who is still looking for a boat? Here's another nice looking platform...
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/boa/5956235065.html
    That's was probably my ad for an Olson 29. I paused the ad as my crew is thinking about buying. If they don't pull the trigger I will list here first. It's a great boat but would need a bit of work to get ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Steevee View Post
    Congratulations on your new boat.
    Well ... the story continues ... I said hello to the bank Saturday morning, drove to Big Sur with the family and today woke up to drive back to Santa Cruz, the family sleeping with friends by Bixby bridge. I was to meet with the seller and move on to Part II of this saga. Something else happened. The transmission gave up, maybe the clutch, 10 minutes away from Bixby. I walked all the way back 90 minutes, called the seller to cancel, called a tow truck. A friend dropped me back at the car and up the truck it went. I left the car in Seaside and decided to come back home. What was to be the one of two happiest days of boat ownership ended up being a shitty Sunday!

Hopped on a bus to Sand City, on another one to San Jose, and finally Uber pool'ed home ... chit chatting along the way with the driver and as we near home I mention that I was about to get a boat. And boom, the guy says he's got one, did the singlehanded transpac and goes on to recommend a Hobie 33. He also seems to know Double Espresso. I'll call him again to chat further as he had to move on and I wanted to chill off this shitty Sunday ... Even mentioned Sleeping Dragon and another one with a red bottom where his RV is (connecting the dots, could be Turbo Camper).

I'm not irrational, I like to think but ... when the Universe speaks ... do you listen?

Any idea where I can test sail a Hobie 33?
    Last edited by jamottep; 01-15-2017 at 08:06 PM.

Last edited by Steevee; 01-15-2017 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    Well ... the story continues ... I said hello to the bank Saturday morning, drove to Big Sur with the family and today woke up to drive back to Santa Cruz, the family sleeping with friends by Bixby bridge. I was to meet with the seller and move on to Part II of this saga. Something else happened. The transmission gave up, maybe the clutch, 10 minutes away from Bixby. I walked all the way back 90 minutes, called the seller to cancel, called a tow truck. A friend dropped me back at the car and up the truck it went. I left the car in Seaside and decided to come back home. What was to be the one of two happiest days of boat ownership ended up being a shitty Sunday!

Hopped on a bus to Sand City, on another one to San Jose, and finally Uber pool'ed home ... chit chatting along the way with the driver and as we near home I mention that I was about to get a boat. And boom, the guy says he's got one, did the singlehanded transpac and goes on to recommend a Hobie 33. He also seems to know Double Espresso. I'll call him again to chat further as he had to move on and I wanted to chill off this shitty Sunday ... Even mentioned Sleeping Dragon and another one with a red bottom where his RV is (connecting the dots, could be Turbo Camper).

I'm not irrational, I like to think but ... when the Universe speaks ... do you listen?

Any idea where I can test sail a Hobie 33?
    So help me understand. You canceled the Olson deal because your tranny went out? But now your considering a Hobie 33?

Quote Originally Posted by OlyJeff View Post
    So help me understand. You canceled the Olson deal because your tranny went out? But now your considering a Hobie 33?
    I haven't cancelled the deal. At this time it's on hold until I can meet with the seller again, which is likely a few weeks out now.

On the Hobie 33 ... it was suggested to me before and now again as a better choice. Put a windvane and trim sails ... it'll sail straight to Hawaii. I'm being told it's easier than an Olson 30, which would be good for me since I'm a beginner with no experience with ULDBs.

Hmm, I haven't sailed a Hobie 33 but I imagine it would be a handful for a beginner.

[QUOTE]suggested to me before and now again as a better choice. Put a windvane and trim sails ... it'll sail straight to Hawaii/QUOTE]
    There's a Hobie 33 up here on Humboldt Bay named "Rookie". Fast boat off wind, not so going to weather. Definitely a one way trip to Hawaii then ship it back.
    The Olson would seem to be a better all round boat with a little more room. You mentioned you're 6'6" in a earlier post. Something to think about. Good luck!
    Last edited by Steevee; 01-16-2017 at 10:17 AM.

If you are on the fence about ULDB's...you should scoop up that Scampi 30 or Albin Cumulus for a song...slap a windvane on the back...set aside a month to fix a few things...order a few chutes and maybe a set of twins..and call it good. Which Hobie 33 are you considering? I thought Turbo Camper sold a year or so ago? I would make sure the Hobie has a new rudder...Was DE's rudder newish?