Page 13 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: Interested in a boat for 2018 TransPac

This is ... overwhelming. My wife is already pissed at all the sailing stuff I brought back and it's not even all of it yet.

Done:
    Titles transferred: boat + trailer
    SCYC dry slip transfer: in process

To do:
    Will need parking sticker
    Find room to store everything.
    Get a gas can, TC-W3 oil and a doser. Fill that up so I can fill the outboard tank to exit/enter SC harbor safely.
    Get insurance. BoatUS just quoted 450.
    Get life jacket, jack lines, tether. Any suggestions?

Also: check everything, read manuals, test everything, re-register EPIRB.

Oh ... and sail ... and learn how to hoist the boat in and out of the water.

I'm taking it one by one ...

Very nice!
    Congrats on your O30! The class website is a nice resource on rig tune...sail trim etc...olson30.org
    Hope to see you out on the water!

Well, the wheels are in motion, maybe I'll turn this thread into a chronicle of my slow progress. I find solace in trying to remember what I have done and not focus on what needs to be done.

Making headway ... for the past week I've been re-organizing closets around the house so I can plop things in an orderly fashion out of view. No idea how I'll store the (racing) main; that thing is a little too long!
    I've started the process to re-register the EPIRB that's on the boat.
    I've been looking at insurance and it looks like Farmers might be the way to go. They're asking about $400.
    The dry slip transfer should complete Sunday, when I plan to be at the boat.
    And I'm starting checklists ...
    Last edited by jamottep; 02-02-2017 at 11:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    And I'm starting checklists ...
    Checklists rule.

About a year ago I sat down and started a master check list of everything I needed to do in terms of equipment adds/upgrades, as well as training and other accomplishments, to be ready to sail to Hawaii. The list continues to serve me well in the transition from planning to cruise to Hilo from San Diego in 2017 to planning to race to Kauai from SF in 2018. I use it to both keep track of what needs to be done, as well as what I've now completed. Each time I finish an item, I don't delete it from the list, I highlight it in yellow. Uncompleted mission-critical items are highlighted in blue. Uncompleted nice but not critical items are not highlighted. And the list itself evolves. One thing I have yet to do is systematically go through the RRC to make sure I've got all missing required equipment on the list.

Besides "to do" check lists, think about procedural checklists. The current boat is more complex than the one she replaced, so early on I developed a "Getting Underway Checklist". It's an outline with categories, some sub categories, and individual tasks than runs two pages, double spaced. Sounds stupid, but after almost two years of regularly sailing this boat, I still try to remember to scan through it before casting off. If I don't, there's often some little thing I'll have missed.

Recommended reading: "The Checklist Manifesto" by Dr. Atul Gawande. In the words of one reviewer it "shows what the simple idea of the checklist reveals about the complexity of our lives and how we can deal with it." Basic concept, whether running an operating room, flying a plane, or anything else complex and critical, let's at least get the stupid stuff right.

Your boat is very different than mine, but if you want copies of my checklists, feel free to ping me at lee dot johnson at q dot com.

Cheers,

Lee
    Last edited by AZ Sailor; 02-03-2017 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    Man that was close, real close. But yes too late now ... Double Espresso changed hands Sunday.
    Nice!~ congratulations!
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Sailor View Post
    Checklists rule.
    What I have so far ...

The checklist for things I have to do so I can sail that boat for the first time ...
    The checklist of things to buy ...
    The checklist of all the boat systems and equipment I need to go over, identify operating procedures, understand maintenance requirements, define back up plans for ... I'm sure these checklists will generate a few more ...

I feel good so far about having chosen a boat that came well prepared.

A few things I did today: organize manuals in a folder, review some of the manuals, initiated the VHF MMSI transfer, randomly researched items (ULV laptop), downloaded OpenCpn and a few charts (poked around for a few minutes), continued researching boat insurance. Slow progress. Relax ... don't become an angry old salt ...

Really big next step is ... first sail in Santa Cruz. I don't think that's for this weekend as the boat is not yet insured.

I'm starting to feel the excitement, the rawness of what I'm embarking on. I don't really find much pleasure in all that preparation stuff but the thought of being out there, bobbing around on oceans, that's moving my soul ... Or maybe I'm a romantic and once I'll be out there for a couple of days I'll go back to day dreaming. There's only one way to find out ...

Congratulations on your new ride!!

If the previous owner hasn't walked you thought the hoist procedure and actually launch and retrieve, i think that it would be a good idea to have someone there with you who has actually done it.

Get a copy of the MER list here; http://sfbaysss.org/main/wp-content/...ifications.pdf
    There will also be additional requirements for LongPac, TransPac, such as additional flares, e-rudder / steering, power supply and charging. Yep, lists.

Set your goals , but don't get too hung up on deadlines. Things seem to me to take much longer to accomplish than expected.

Don't bother trying to hide things from your wife, she will find out! Also, don't neglect her so she doesn't resent your sailing. Make sure she feels special

Sail as much as you can!!!

Just my .02
    All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it is vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

T.E. Lawrence

The Daydreamer offers wisdom.

Most spouses don't understand why you'd want to sail to Hawaii by yourself. The promise of a vacation in Kauai for them is not enough. The months of boat prep time are the hardest, especially if you have kids. It was a major strain on our marriage - it's been ten years since my first SHTP and it still comes up.

I can't offer much advice because I clearly didn't handle it well, but Daydreamer is on the right track.

Checking my own checklists, I may tick this one off pretty soon (and figure PJ may have it on his lists):
    PLB or EPIRB?
    As far as I can tell the advantages of the EPIRB are automatic activation and longer transmit time. Otherwise, a floating PLB like Resculink+ appears to be a better choice in every respect, at least for the near-shore singlehander: wearability, portability when crewing on other boats, usability on shore (skiing/hiking/etc), cost.

The only scenario I can image where an EPIRB is superior is if I become unconscious or severely physically impaired while still aboard and the boat sinks just enough for the EPIRB to active, but stills stay afloat long enough that I'm not pulled down with the ship until help arrives. Seems unlikely.

What say ye wise council?

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

If you are prepping for Hawaii use the SHTP equipment list. There is a lot of overlap with the usual list, but I'm sure that a full-on EPIRB is required. The EPIRB battery goes for days, much longer than a PLB. There are some other things as well. If the boat was already set up for SHTP you should be ahead of the game on a lot of things like the e-rudder.

One big issue will be energy management and budget. It is a very good thing to get a reliable/precise battery meter so you can measure all the loads for the budget. Start on this early so you can plan out any upgrades (solar, bigger alternator etc.) well ahead of time.

Contrary to some race winners may tell you, a voltmeter is very helpful!