Page 14 of 68 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Thread: Interested in a boat for 2018 TransPac

Since we are speaking of the SHTP, here is what the rule currently states [per 2016];
    A 406 MHz EPIRB, including a battery with expiration date no earlier than July 23, 2016, and evidence of current registration with the U.S. National
    Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). The MMSI number to supplied to the Race Committee. A Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) may also be carried, but it does not satisfy this requirement.

There is are very good reasons for this, particularly in a situation where you are far from shore and rescue could be more that 24hrs away.
    Mostly it boils down to signal strength and duration.
    Odds are not that great of a small PLB's signal being picked up on the first pass in an area of limited sat coverage, particularly if you have it partially submerged on the corner of your life jacket.
    You can maybe expect your PLB battery to transmit a maximum of 24hrs; larger EPIRB's are rated to at least double that.

While there are, I suppose, scenarios where the self activation matters, it's much more likely you would be activating it yourself, whether you are abandoning to a life raft or due to injury or illness.

All of that said, I carry both... but I assume the PLB is mostly useful within Helicopter range [~100miles offshore]

FWIW.

DH

Thanks for the advice. The boat came with an EPIRB and I've started the process to transfer it to me.
    Yes ... This adventure should enhance our marriage. I'll have to think how!
    Some progress today: I built a long shelf in the garage to store the main sail and other long items; that's a winner for the wife ... I continued to go through stuff and generally get organized. There are 15 sails to check; some originals! I think that's it and tomorrow will be my first visit to my boat, not sailing yet. The previous owner should meet me for a practice hoist in and out.
    Sweet dreams ...

First day at the boat. A few things done:

1. Slip rental agreement;
    2. Parking sticker;
    3. More sails brought back home for storage/inspection, along with a few other things;
    4. Did one practice "hoist" run with previous owner, moving the trailer with the "tug" and using the hoist to put the boat in and out of the water;
    5. Tested the engine (the engine is stored in the boat, the mounting bracket is very far out, not an easy task);
    6. Poked at things in and around the boat.

I spent 6 hrs at the boat and small progress was made. If I can get the insurance nailed this coming week and I find the time to buy the "legal" stuff (flares, flags, horn, life jacket, etc.), I'll go back next weekend and go for a sail. The channel is still mostly close.

I'd like to wash the boat inside out too ...

Just to note: The self releasing and activating option for an EPIRB was not required for the SHTP2016.

Also, the requirements for Longpac2015 and SHTP2016 were not identical and not fully overlapping. So check.

Per your NOAA EPIRB registration form, Category I is automatic deployment. Category II is manual deployment. Both are EPIRB's.

On our smaller boats, Category I's have been known to activate if they get super-wet (which happens). Category II's can too, but they must be out of their holder first. I decided a Category II mounted in an accessible (but dry) place below was the best option on my boat. Watch out for the magnet in the Cat. II's holder if you put it anywhere near a compass.

LongPac can be raced double-handed so its rules follow the other ocean races (with some additions).

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Since we are speaking of the SHTP.... ... but I assume the PLB is mostly useful within Helicopter range [~100miles offshore]
    Thanks, Dave, that sums it up. PLB for me, for now, as I'm only looking at Farallones/HMB/Drake's. EPIRB for SHTP & LongPac.

EPIRB and MMSI transferred ...

Bought a gas can and built a wood block to lock the trailer in place (the boat is butt heavy apparently and we had the trailer tip over when we were both on the back of the boat checking the engine bracket).

I continued researching insurance and at this time it looks like an "agreed value" policy with BoatUS is the best choice. It's $389 and the maximum agreed to value I could get was $13,700, nothing to call home about. Don't know if this as good as it gets or if I should keep digging.

BOAT US rents Epirbs ($65/week) and PLBs ($45/week). The unit is registered to you for the rental time. I've rented EPIRBs for the LongPac and the PacCup. A PLB makes sense to own if you're going to do OYRA/SSS Ocean/BAMA races where it will meet the requirement, but if you're going to do 1 LonPac and/or 1 Hawaii race, renting an EPIRB makes more sense since the unit is always up-to-date. It comes in a sealed case with return postage.

All right ... some minor progress ...

Thanks to David for the de-humidifier. I installed it today.
    I inspected 5 of the 14 sails. Some looked ok and some need light repair (tiny tear, pin holes, the worst is the old #1 jib). I bought a bit of tape and will see what I can do.
    I bought a used life jacket, a crotch strap, a tether, a gas can.
    I installed a wood block to prevent the trailer from tripping when working at the tip end of the stern.
    We (read my wife and I) gave the interior a bit of a clean (not that it was dirty but we freshen it up a bit), emptied the bilge again.
    I got insurance from BoatUS (agreed to value with the best possible, which was $13,700 for this boat).

I think that's it ...

I noticed a couple dings on the port bow, an hairline crack between the hull and keel (and another one in front).

Things I'm working on next: making sure the boat has all the legally required equipment, look into operation of auto-tiller, sail ...

It's all good ... can't wait for the harbor entrance to clear!

Okay, hairline crack between hull & keel? Did you have a buyer's survey prior to purchasing the boat? If so, did that survey note the crack? If not, consider a hull survey now.

Have you inspected the keel bolts to ensure they are torqued correctly? Checked for corrosion? What do the bolt tops and nuts look like? Any rusty "bleeding?"

Has the keel struck something - evidence of repair to keel? - that might have caused the crack? If the boat is on a trailer, has it been dropped hard when being hoisted off and on?

Although it's a boat older than yours, a friend has just completed a keel bolt job on his boat. An insurance survey indicated problems with the keel bolts. Cracks/separation indicated at the keel/hull joint. Several bolts were almost gone. Several others down to "marginal." And, yes, he does race the boat on the ocean. And, yes I've crewed on that boat - but not out on the ocean.