Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Interested in a boat for 2018 TransPac

I'm guessing pogs was semi-serious. A Hobie would be a blast in this race - I was always bummed that Mark Halman never did the SHTP with SLEEPING DRAGON. He won most of the other SSS races with it. Last I knew there were a couple Hobie 33's on trailers behind Gate 4 at the Alameda Marina. SLEEPING DRAGON and Brian's TURBO CAMPER, which did the SHTP in 2012. At one time Brian's boat was for sale.

I wouldn't rule out that Int'l Folkboat you posted. Three have done the SHTP, most recently Adam's BLUE MOON in 2010. Reed Overshiner's RELIANCE holds the second-best corrected time ever for a monohull. But you need a windy year or you'll miss most of the Tree Times and you'll be pressed to finish the race before the 21 day time-limit - they aren't fast. They also weren't built very well but that one looks like it's had some beefing up in the right places, and a more powerful rig installed. And I'd want an inboard.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

There are multiple Hobies out there with trailers, and for less money than the FB. Hobie 33s are fast, and muy macho.

They are cheap because they have no interior, and wives won't sign off on them.

A 6'6" guy will be miserable in a Folkboat, and on a Hawaii trip, miserable for a long time.

That Olson 911s ELUSIVE might will soon be listed at Sail California, it would be an excellent choice, currently listed under S/A Classifieds for $30k.
    Last edited by pogen; 12-07-2016 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    Buy a Hobie 33 with a trailer.
    I bought a Hobie 33 and prepping it for the 2018 race.

I do have a soft spot for Intl. Folkboat's...however... miserable for a looooooooooong time sums that up pretty well...and unless you are Bionic Overshiner you miss quite a bit of Tree Time That Olson 911 "Elusive" looks to be a nice platform. There is also the Olson 30 "Double Espresso" that completed the Pac Cup this year...In keeping with fast is fun...I keep seeing a nice looking Olson 29 pop up for sale on craigslist in the Pac NW for just under 20K. For the bottom feeding variety...local craigslist has a Scampi 30 for cheap...along with a ridiculously cheap Cal 29...There was also a nice looking Olson 34 for sale down south a few months back...looked to be a good deal.

Thanks for keeping the thread alive and thanks for reminding me that a slow boat may not be the best choice.
    Links are for me ...
    I've emailed Sail California to inquire about the Olson 911s. http://www.sailcal.com/brokerage/?sl...ps=20&lineonly
    About Hobie 33s, I've contacted the one boat that doesn't have an address to find out where it's at. I don't have a vehicle to pull up a trailer. None seem to have any offshore preparation. http://www.hobie33class.com/hobie33-for-sale.htm
    I saw the Capri and Cal 29 but they're nowhere in terms of offshore preparation. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/b...pulsion_type=1
    There's a Cape Dory 30 cutter that's back from lots of travelling around that seems ready, although probably a little tired. In the slow category ...
    I've emailed the owner of Double Espresso. http://www.olson30.org/show-ad/?id=281
    Keep them coming :-)

Double Espresso still available, trying to see it this weekend. Anything I should look for in particular in a 1982 Olson 30? This is my first boat and I'm no boat expert ...

Double Espresso seems like a great deal, for a turnkey hawaii boat with a trailer... you will saving a LOT of time and money. Maybe I should buy it just to have.

I've seen that Scampi at South Beach. Those boats have always intrigued me since they seemed to be the hot tip while reading sailing magazines on my dad's Centaur circa 1971 ... and my current boat has reasonable headroom for jamottep ... hmmm ...

No! forget it! I like my boat!

I wrote that singlehanding a Hobie 33 to Hawaii would be a blast (and it would be) but I'll also suggest it would be like a driver-training graduate hopping into a Porsche Turbo. It will keep swapping ends on you and you won't know why. Maybe something a bit smaller, heavier and less powered-up for the first time?