Page 22 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: Interested in a boat for 2018 TransPac

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    I did:
    J Jibeset Membership Welcome
    Date: 12/23/16
    Sorry! I thought you meant that you signed up earlier in 2016. I don't see you on the list either. In fact, I only see 9 members at Bob's link. That can't be right.

Click on "#180, near the bottom" not on the quoted jibeset link.

I assume this longer list includes those who signed up for SSS membership along with their Three Bridge Fiasco registration, plus the handful who signed up as members-only (not with race registration) in Philippe's link. Since he signed up for the 3BF, I'm guessing Philippe is in the first group.

I'm looking forward to seeing the boats that enter this event: http://www.longueroute2018.com/

"On this occasion, Guy invites other sailors to join him on this passage, in the same state of mind as Bernard Moitessier. This is not a race, there is no rules, nor constraints or obligations, neither awards... Just the intimate return to have made a dream comes true and to have win against oneself. It is a return to true values, individual and human responsabilities of the sailor and the man. Freedom and serenity to be alone at sea.

Each sailor is responsible for his choice of boat, a cruiser or racer-cruiser or ocean-passage maker, no more than 52' able to perform ocean passages. Each one is free to communicate as he wishes, to display the arms of supporters, sponsors or patrons, and to give his own adventure the impact he wants. He can judge if he respects or not Bernard Moitessier's ideas in doing so... According to his ship and his equipment, each one is free to choice his starting date between June 18 and September 30th, from a port north of 45° North of Europe, or 41° North of America east coast, and for a return to a french port in north of 45° North to be indicated at a later date."

That's a bit much but I could see myself doing the Jester Challenge. Like our SHTP, it runs in even-numbered years. It alternates between a 1,250 nm race to the Azores and a 2,800 nm race to Newport, RI (both from Plymouth). It's for 20-30' boats so Rags would actually be at the top end. Like the "Longueroute" the Jester Challenge has very few rules:

"The Jester Challenge is run on a ‘gentlemanly basis’ within the following guidelines:
    -for sailing vessels between 20 and 30 feet (including multi-hulls)
    -for skippers who are over the age of 18 on the 15th May 2016
    -human power is the only acceptable alternative propulsion to that of the wind: rowing, kedging or clubhauling, for instance, are permissible
    -single-handed to Praia de Vitoria, Terceira
    -one way
    -stops allowed
    -no time limit
    -engines may be fitted but only used to charge batteries for equipment such as mobile telephones, steering and navigation systems. The sole exceptions to this, within the spirit of the Jester Challenge, would be the avoidance of an imminent ‘mayday’ situation; responding to a distress call from a fellow seafarer or when within the harbour limits of an intermediate port en route. If the use of an engine - or the acceptance of a powered tow from another vessel, whether a Jester Challenger or not - becomes necessary to meet, for instance, a personal time limit or, simply, to avoid a frustrating calm, then the details should be declared on arrival to fellow Jester Challengers. By common agreement - and using the coordinator as an arbitrator if there is no common agreement - the arrival order may then be amended.
    -no entrance fees
    -no inspections
    -no regulations: skippers will be entirely responsible for the equipment they take, based on their own experience
    -only hint of bureaucracy will be the signing of a form of indemnity accepting the skipper’s full duty of care for himself, his dependants and his fellow seafarers during his participation in the JAC 2016.
    -skippers should ensure that they have the correct visa (if required) for entry into the Azores and any likely mid-way stop
    -entries will be accepted up to (TBC - depending on the host yacht club)
    Recommendations:
    -a 500 mile, non-stop, single-handed voyage be made in the same vessel
    -at least third party insurance be obtained

Prizes:
    Not being a ‘race’ there is no official finishing order - there is of course a time of arrival - thus there are no prizes other than the personal satisfaction of having sailed fairly against peer vessels of a like construction, rig, size, skipper’s experience and so on; ie, a number of personal challenges within the whole.

John Margeson has kindly donated a Crown to be presented to the first skipper home who has, genuinely, built his own vessel."
    Last edited by BobJ; 03-09-2017 at 11:20 PM.

I must admit that I'm little informed about Moitessier's life. The little I read, mostly related to his participation in the Golden globe race, I found fascinating. I very much like the idea of sailing around the world. I'm afraid I'm just a romantic and I will soon find out if I belong to the high seas. October will be my first real test, crossing the South Atlantic from Brazil to South Africa with the Clipper folks.
    I hope all these little experiences I've setup for the next 18 months will allow me to make that vision real.

I bought Moitessier's book la longue route ... in French of course :-)

Ah, so today was my first day out on the water. And that was great. Except ... it took me two hours to leave the docks and another 90 minutes to clean things up when I got back ... darn ... time management will become essential if I want to sail! I was exhausted when I came back home, not because of the sailing (I barely pulled in 4 tacks in light wind); the nerves is what took a beating, that and working that engine. The Santa Cruz harbor is a busy place and passersby do stop to watch people fuss around with their boat. It makes me nervous and I make mistakes ... That'll all get better with time.

So I placed jacklines but I will need to think about how I position them. Right now I have them running inside the shrouds. I think I'm going to move them outside because they seem to interfere with other items on the deck. The problem is then there is nothing to stop me from "sliding" down all the way out the stern. The good thing: I used them! I was clipped even though the conditions were very calm: this is a habit I want to ingrain under my thick skull!

I got the #3 jib out to keep things easy and the boat was moving at a good clip (although I did not get over 5 kts and mostly around 2-4), mostly on the auto-tiller. Stowing sails proved to be an experience too. Being tired I did a poor job there. Lazyjacks are a temptation now.

It's amazing the time it takes to build new habits, even simple ones. For example to hoist the boat I use a lifting eye that screws on top of the keel. Well, I keep taking the lifting eye out of the cabin, slide it down that opening on the top deck to screw it on ... only to discover that I forgot to remove the floor board ... and so I go back inside the cabin to remove the floor board ... The good thing is: this time I didn't forget to get the trailer out when I hoisted the boat of the water. Instead I forgot to put a bucket of water at the bow to flatten the boat a bit and the boat ended up going down a little crooked, resting only on 5 of the 6 stanchions of the trailer. At that point I was running late and let that one slide ...

All in all I think I sailed a couple hours. I was telling my wife at dinner today: to hell all those preparations, I'm just going to leave the docks on Saturday morning and come back Sunday evening, only half jokingly!

On a separate track I've been trying to splice an eye ... and failing ... this old monkey doesn't learn quickly anymore apparently.

A picture:

Name:  IMG_20170312_124337.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  2.66 MB

This guy explains eye splicing simply...oh, and don't try to eye splice old line. It's nearly impossible and IMO not worth it. Just tie a knot.

Philippe, there are many opinions about jacklines. I would actually recommend moving them even farther inboard than they are in your photo. If they're outside the shrouds they won't do much to keep you on the boat. I have padeyes each side of the companionway hatch; that keeps the jacklines well inboard and also keeps you from sliding too far aft. Anyway, most races prohibit mounting the jacklines in such a way that you could be dragged behind the boat.
    It's true that they will occasionally hang up on a cabintop winch or on the lazy jibsheet when you try to go forward. I haven't found a solution for that except to try to develop patience.
    Max

Similar to Max's boat - Rags' jacklines run inside the shrouds, along the edge of the main hatch (on each side) and down the back of the cabin trunk to folding pad eyes. When I'm at the helm I clip into a hard point on the centerline.

As Sled has suggested, a turn of your tether around the windward winch is also a good idea when it's rough, so you can't fall very far. At the start of the Silver Eagle race last year (inside the Bay), I lost my balance in the cockpit and my nose fetched up against the leeward primary. It happens.

The boat looks great and hey, you were out sailing on a gorgeous day while I was chained to my desk doing people's taxes. Don't be too hard on yourself.

Andrew Evans on his Olson 30 writes that he has them outside the shrouds:

"On my boat the shrouds are slightly inboard, so I run the jack lines outside of the shrouds and jib sheet, but inside the lifelines."

That last bit of "inside the lifelines" is puzzling: outside the lifelines, isn't that outside the boat?!?!?

With the jack lines inside the shrouds I have to walk up between the mast and shrouds and down to the life lines to keep a grip. It worked ok on a calm sea. Outside the lifelines would allow me to walk up holding the life line all the way to the bow pulpit. I'll have to see what works best in less ideal conditions.

Right now they run bow to stern cleats. There's really nothing to pass the jack lines through to prevent me from slipping all the way back. I could slip the jack line through the hand rail on the deck. Or I could put a shackle on the toe rail and pass it through that. I'm not sure either would be strong enough.

Thanks for the encouragements!