Page 27 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: Interested in a boat for 2018 TransPac

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    And I got a call from Raymarine saying that all appears ok with my auto-tiller.
    Funny, I just had the same experience. My ST2000 stopped working after only a few hours of use. Canvas cover and everything. I sent it to Raymarine, and a week later the technician called while playing with the motor so I could hear it over the phone. "Basically like new. Your compass calibration was bad but there's nothing wrong with it. Are you sure it isn't a wiring problem?". Yup, I checked every which way that I had 12+ V at the cockpit connection. Going to test the returned tiller pilot at the boat today. Fingers crossed.
    Looking forward to updates about your Pelagic experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanikai View Post
    a week later the technician called while playing with the motor so I could hear it over the phone.
    Exactly the same! Motor humming while on the phone ... The rep I spoke to had mentioned that the LCD does go bad ... Strange ...

1. Picked up the mainsail with the added reef and put it on the boat, rigged the reef line. Because of the shackle setup I took the reef line completely out the boom and fed it back in. To do so I sewed a bit of twine at the end, after trying 2 other things first ... We'll see if all was rigged properly when I hoist the main the next time I go sailing.
    The fun never ends ... I hadn't hoisted the main as the wind was strong and astern. When I hoisted the main yesterday for a little family outing I discovered that the 2nd reef line was too short ... So for now it's hanging loose and if I need it I have to pull it in and around the boom first, then secure it. I guess I'll need a longer line. I'll give all that a try tomorrow I think.

The fun never ends!

And when you get that longer line run, it will wrap around the end of the boom when you hoist.

Don't ask me how I know this

Exactly the same! Motor humming while on the phone ... The rep I spoke to had mentioned that the LCD does go bad ... Strange ...
    I got the ST1000+ back with a service repair report and a repair invoice. The repair report says a defective part was replaced. The invoice says nothing was found and I'm charged $0. Puzzle ... Are they being nice such that I don't get charged anything? Or was there really nothing wrong? I'll find out tomorrow ... Didn't go yesterday ...

I am using this forum a bit to chronicle my slow progress. I realize that it doesn't add much future value to the content of this forum; who would care to read through this now 27 pages long thread? In truth it's more helpful to me than anyone else, in a terapeuthic way I guess. So I'd like to say that I apologize if I'm creating noise and generally being annoying. That's not my intention. And, to clarify, I'm not writing this as a follow up or something I heard or what not ... It just downed on me that, well, I'm "noisy on the forum" and not being particularly useful ... and that can be annoying. Now ... carrying on with the noise ...

I did go out last Thursday, which was nice. I arrived proudly to the boat with my freshly repaired auto-tiller (aka Shanti), plugged it (her?) in, turned on the circuit ... blank! Crap, it is the circuit! My heart sank as I was looking forward to doing real work on the boat while sailing. I scratched my head, opened the rear hatch and played with the connection to the socket. Boom, the auto-tiller lighted up. I took it out, removed the cables, cut them short 1 cm and put them back into, screwed everything, and voila. Except that this all affair took me easily one hour; the socket's design is really poor. Anyways ... while all that was going on, another Olson 30 owner had his boat dangling off the crane as he was cleaning the bottom (not sure that's ok). I got mine in the water after he finished his business and started getting ready (1 reef and #3). And off I went, as usual, under sail.

As I neared the harbor channel exit I saw a few boats and surfers (?!?) hanging out, somehow blocking the exit. Fishing boats were busy in the bay and I turned around ... to see that the other Olson 30, with a now clean bottom, made its way out, under power. I followed him. I passed them as they were hoisting their sails and they came after me. We staid on this tack for a while. I think we had a bit of a race going there. They had one reef and a #4 out. I had one reef, a #3 and I was on the "good tack" (you know with all the batteries and engine helping as rail meat). They were slowly gaining on me and I started trying things out on the main, which allowed me to keep them at bay and slowly gain; I'll never know if they tried hard but it felt good to stay ahead. They were two, and one guy seemed old enough to have sailed that Olson 30 for the past 35 years and more. Now putting things in context I should probably have been much faster and I look forward to learn more. After a long while past that one mile marker they tacked, which I had wanted to do so I could move along with my business, but I wouldn't let them pass me ... knuckle head that I am!

So I moved on with my business, which, since I had finally acquired basic bibs (West Marine's), involved head sail changes and reefing. The sea state wasn't much so I proceeded with a sail change. Oh boy, it's getting better but there is room for improvement, getting the process down. For example I had the handheld VHF in my pocket (in case I fall overboard; I'm still close to shore); it fell on the deck but I got it before it disappeared. Although there wasn't much of a sea there was wind and, after taking the #4 out of its bag, I pushed the bag into my jacket, hoping it'd say there. It didn't. I didn't even notice it flying away but when I was all done, or almost, I looked at my handy work, looked back and saw something white floating! I got to practice the worst COB recovery ever. It took me like 5 tries to get it back on board, using the boat hook. So, going forward, it doesn't matter what I'm going after: it's always a good opportunity to practice a figure 8 recovery.

So what else did I do? I practiced reefing. I put the second reef in and getting the reef outhaul rigged wasn't too bad. In truth I should probably make it a practice to rig it when ever I bring the first reef in. Of course I did manage to not route the line properly and had to re-do it a couple of times. The major puzzle (and I know I'll hear it again: switch to slugs) is to handle the loose sail. With one reef I can simply tie 3 reef ties and it's all good. As soon as I drop to the second reef the first reef tack slips out and I'm left with half of my sail off the mast. The first time it was "interesting". The second time was better. I think I'll practice at the dock once to make sure I think this through. Because the next step after reef 2 ... is taking the whole sail down. Maybe a bungee cord to keep the first reef tack in place would come in handy (and the second).

So, to summarize, more reefing practice, more head sail changes and trying head sail changes downwind. I also need to purposely fly a big jib in high wind and try to douse that ... downwind. I can hear it: switch to hanks.

I'm trying to identify all potentially costly projects, get a sense of the cost and then prioritize.

Like I wrote there wasn't much of a sea state when beating up. I made it up to Davenport! I don't know if it was the sea state, the second reef or my more firm attempt at keeping the boat flatter(ish), probably a combination of all that.

I turned around, shook the 2nd reef and started going downwind. It would seem that the boat prefers being perpendicular to the waves. It then surfs. Before I'd sail about 30 degrees off and didn't seem to get much surfing. The disadvantage is that I seem to get less boat speed in the "surf lulls". The boat's polar indicates that the optimum run angle at 20 kts TWS is 114 AWA (a big drop from what it's at 16 kts: 157). I guess I'll have to practice and compare.

It was a good day. My work at the bow was helpful in teaching me a few things. I did get wet. I'm a little heavy so I'm pushing the bow in. I wonder what it'll be in a sea way, upwind. We'll have to see ... Scuba mask?

What else did I do? Rig the jib sheets to an outboard lead. With the boat beating upwind it was interesting to remove the lazy sheet and reattach it after routing it through the outboard block. Good thing I have long arms (the #4 has a high clew).

I didn't pop the spinnaker and reading through Andy's comment ... I think it's time I bite the bullet and pop it, instead of waiting for the good practice conditions. There was a chicken chute with the boat so maybe I should try with that first.

Coming back is always interesting the wind dies to nothing then switches; I ghosted into the channel in 1-2 kts of wind ...

I went out today too but that was on the SS school's J105 and we got drenched. The wind had been building up in South Bay and combined with the ebb upwind sailing was a little wet. We sailed abeam to the waves for a while too and one came over and into the cockpit. Wet wet wet ... I only had bottom foulies and got cold. A good lesson there too. I was not the only one with their butt soaked under their bib ... We just go rained on, repeatedly.

I still don't have a life raft and it's now a bit of blocker for my qualifiers (I won't be able to do the coming SSS races so I'm going my "own way"). I really want to go offshore this weekend but something tells me to not do so without a life raft. If someone has one to lend over for this weekend I'll take it and bring it back Monday. If I deploy I pay for repair/service or a new one.

Switch slugs or switch to hanks hanks or buy a life raft ... or buy a storm jib or a drogue or ...

It's fun ... I like being out there. A few other things I learned: identify the moments where the voice inside starts talking shit and switch to problem solving; before starting a job voice the steps out loud; stay positive.

Philippe:

My vote would be for you to continue these posts. I have found it an interesting string. You have a very different boat than mine, and are in a different place with it, but I have enjoyed following your systematic approach. If I wasn't interested, I'd stop reading. I don't see how a post I didn't want to read would constitute an annoyance.

Living 400 statute miles from my boat, I don't get to take her out every week and play with things. So when I get over every 3-4 weeks I have to balance boat projects/learning projects/pleasure sailing. I probably tilt too far to the latter, and could do better by working in a little more of your systematic approach to the first two. On the other hand, IMHO, you might try working in a little more pleasure sailing. Plan a cruise somewhere for an overnight, anchor out, then sail back the next day. You can keep on working on things along the way, but making the journey the main focus could be a good thing. Helps in visualizing living on/with the boat for more than a day sail.

As far as getting off shore without a life raft, lots of us do it all the time; at least I do. Usually I'm on the sort of excursion (e.g., Catalina Island [25 or so nm from nearest land; 75 nm from my home port of San Diego]) for which I'll want the dinghy, so I have that in tow. Not a life raft, but better than nothing if the unthinkable should happen. Gives me some modicum of comfort. Last fall I did a trip out to Cortes Bank and back (100 nm off shore and back), and since I wasn't planning to stop anywhere, didn't tow the dink. I kind of missed it as a safety blanket, if only as a placebo. I think I'll tow it as a matter of course until I get my life raft re-certified.

Cheers,
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Thanks Lee! I command you for engaging into an activity that requires you to travel 400 miles to get to it. Next time I frown about driving to Santa Cruz I'll think of your commitment and go along ...

About the life raft it's also a matter of satisfying the family, wife and mother who are a bit concerned about the boat sinking. They're supportive but they don't want recklessness! And I'll think about going for a cruise ... when summer's here :-)

It'd be great to see more folks post videos of them doing stuff on the boat, single handed. I always pick up things (e.g. cleats in interesting places, a different process, how the boat is behaving, attitude, moving about the boat, ...).

All right then ... As Skip said it was quite windy this weekend. I've been wondering if it's me who's getting more sensitive to conditions or the wind was really stronger this time. I got to the marina about noon'ish Saturday and once again got going when the yacht club boats were coming back into safe harbor. I noticed the lack of spinnaker and a small fleet; it made me wonder if they knew something I didn't. I had looked at the forecast and knew it'd be windy. I left under jib #4 and no main; my thinking was that it'd be good practice to put the main out under way.

My goal for the day was to see how conditions were and if reasonably pleasant hit 20 nm offshore but, yeah, that didn't happen. Instead I had a shower, a sunset, a moon rise and a sunrise.

The main staid put until night came down. I did all my day sailing under #4 alone. I didn't do much really. I just beat up the coast as usual and then tuned around for a bit of downwind, with just the #4, the boat was still heeling too much for what she likes. The one thing I tried during that afternoon was to go the bow in "busy conditions". I'll see if I can post a video of that: I reached amidships, a wave come over and I was showered, so I turned around to dry; I didn't reach the bow but it was all good learning.

I staid there for a while then went back into the protected waters of the bay after sunset. It's quite eerie to come out of 25+ kts of wind and then ghost along in barely a whiff. Anyways I finally put out the full main as I was making my way back to offshore winds. I wanted to take it out to remove all the water that had accumulated in the rolls and I was still thinking that if the wind was coming down I'd got out 20 nm. As wind built up (it does so pretty quickly; there really was a clear demarcation line where it'd go from <5 to 25) I worked on putting the first reef and then second. It was a real nice job this time. I took my time to do things right and it showed. I rolled the loose sail nicely and tight, put plenty of reef ties too. And I beat up the coast one more time, in the dark as the moon hadn't risen yet. That's when I realized that I had forgotten my headlamp.

After spending more time than I care in the "washing machine" I came back and sailed in the protected waters until the next day. The moon rise was splendid. Sunrises and sunsets are magnificent in their display of color and associated human allegory but the moon is something different all together, never spoken off, like a soft secret held closed to heart by those who know.

A few other things that happened: I popped the spinnaker in 1-3 kts of apparent wind but it never really flew. I tried to sleep and went in the pipe berth (solitary confinement comes to mind) for 5 minutes then 7.5 minutes, yeah! I didn't stay longer because I had the boat on auto-tiller and I didn't want to go too far down or too far out. Basically I just stood there, two reefs in and a #4. I didn't do much. The sun came out. I shook both reefs, and, after two failed attempts at entering the harbor, I wait until 8 am to be able to sail back into harbor. Prior to that the wind was really light, variable and straight down the channel. With rocks left and right, swell pushing straight into them ... it didn't feel right being there moving <1 kt. I was tired but retained enough judgement for that decision.

I eat and drink to stay hydrated and nourished. One thing I noted is that it's probably best to eat on a different schedule than on land, more frequently and less quantity. Food generates energy boosts and those can be useful to overcome lethargy or plain procrastination. Now I don't know if it's the sound of all that water sloshing around me, and I don't drink that much, but boy, do I use the bucket ... should I talk to my doctor?!?! It's always quite the experience: get the bucket from the stern hatch, take the jacket off, open up the bibs, the pants, do my business, dress back up, throw out, clean the bucket, put the bucket in stern hatch. It's a good thing I haven't had to deal with #2 yet.

Anyways ... boat on the crane, tidied up and drove home to pass out in my bed at noon ...

I'm going to fly the spinnaker one day, I will. And it'll be blowing a howling, and I'll get wet, and the boat'll get wet, and I'll be scared ... Then I'll be grinning from ear to ear ... with salt in my ears. And then people will ask me to go sailing with me because they'll see it my eyes, and I'll be like: any time ,join me in the washing machine ... you'll come out purified.

The one thing I tried during that afternoon was to go the bow in "busy conditions". I'll see if I can post a video of that: I reached amidships, a wave come over and I was showered, so I turned around to dry; I didn't reach the bow but it was all good learning.
    Here it is: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_9...dMVUVIQjA/view

It happens about the 40 secs mark ...

For anyone interested in participating next year, the perfect boat just came out on the market: an express 27 which I worked on last year and this year. The owner was going to participate himself but recently had to change his plans.
    I have done the SHTP myself on a mini Transat (hope to do it again next year).
    I work on boats for a living (since 2006). I know this express 27 better than anyone (owner included). Structurally sound, all running rigging changed, all deck hardware remove, properly installed to protect the wood core, optimization of the deck layout for singlehanded, new winches (self tailing), check-stays, mast head and fractional halyards for the spinnaker, lithium battery, and complete new wiring, NKE Marine Electronics with under-deck mounted hydraulic pump and drive unit (NKE package worth about $17K)...the list is long. Really a good boat for someone who wants to go, but doesn't have the time to prep the boat. Call me at 310-five hundred-6216. Boat is CRAZY well priced.