Page 32 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Thread: Interested in a boat for 2018 TransPac

A few more small projects:

1. There's now a mast cam cleat for the topping lift and jib/spin halyards.
    2. Removed cleat clamp on shroud to backstay and will hoist radar reflector there.
    3. Installed new tiller wand extension for Pelagic and the tiller is now "balanced".
    4. Took tiller off the boat to varnish.
    5. Opened the halyard winches to discover that they need a serious scrubbing. These are Barient and require to be taken off the boat for a complete maintenance.

One more day and I'm off.

Happy summer to everyone!

Have a great time on your next training session!

That is going to be a great adventure!!

Bunk for the week and view from the helm at the dock.
    Name:  IMG_20170717_203345.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  2.93 MBName:  IMG_20170717_203231.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  3.01 MB

A few of the fancy boats around ...
    Name:  IMG_20170717_205515.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  2.93 MBName:  IMG_20170717_205523.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  2.68 MBName:  IMG_20170717_205544.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  2.09 MBName:  IMG_20170717_205432.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  2.41 MB

I didn't take a picture but the CQS boat was at the docks as well; that's pretty much all the beasts that will compete in the FastNet race. We saw Rambler 88 practicing while we were out, flying by while we were training with a trysail and storm jib ... It made for an interesting contrast!
    There's also the Pixel boat of Alex Alley, who plans to attempt breaking the round the world solo record on a Class 40: 25 GBP gets your picture on the boat if you'd like to support him.

All right, my third level of training with Clipper is complete. Fourth level is starting in a couple days, which will be on the 70 footers. Weather disrupted plans to hoist the spinnaker as the wind mostly remained above 20 kts, often between 25-30, more than the spinnakers on board could handle. We mainly did a lot of reefing, tacking, gybing, pretend spinnaker gybes with a Yankee 3 rigged as a spinnaker, a few MOBs. We came back to the marina every evening.

How did I do?

1. My fitness level is not on par with the demands of big boats. I'm not sure I'll do something about this.

2. Everything requires a strong method/process and preparation is key: small errors can lead to big problems.

3. I tend to want to lead evolutions (fancy name for "do something on the boat", e.g. hoist main or drop staysail ...), even though I'm just learning as everyone.

4. My social ineptitudes are very much in my way, in two ways. First I don't mesh well, and end up being a bit of a loner whilst everyone starts congregating in small groups; I'm used to this. Second, the above stands in the way of my progress as a leader on the boat.

5. I've learned that when leading one should do nothing else. In other words if a job needs doing assign to someone. Otherwise I loose sight of the big picture.

6. This is probably all moot since I'm very unlikely to be a watch leader anyways. Those roles will likely fall to "round worlders". I need not lose sight of my goals: seamanship and weather routing/navigation.

7. Some folks are really struggling with their training, which is concerning as far as safety is concerned.

8. I need to relax and be more present instead of constantly being focused on the outcome.

And that's that ... Tomorrow I'm heading out to help prepare the boat for 5 days offshore.

The final dates have been announced and if all goes as planned I will spend 2+ weeks in the South Atlantic and 3-4 weeks in the Pacific.

That's Rambler 88 and me ...
    Name:  IMG_20170721_114857.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  1.99 MB

Name:  IMG_20170719_122150.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  1.22 MB

Well that's it! My formal training for the Clipper race is complete. We were on "our" Clipper 70 with our skipper this time. Although similar in terms of rigging and sail handling it is a very different boat than the 68s when it comes to sailing. Upwind they must ride on their chine to be somewhat fast but the keel has been kept short to allow access in more foreign ports, which causes more leeway. As a result I'm being told the 68s perform better upwind. They do better downwind though. They are aging and I think this may be their last circumnavigation. Safety remains a high priority.
    We did a bunch of drills such as towing, alongside towing, man over board (day and night, upwind and downwind), anchoring, emergency tiller steering.
    The crew of 17 was split in two watches. We did two overnight sails with 3 hours on/off watches. I had the privilege of being a watch leader, which put me way out my comfort zone both in terms of sailing and crew/people management. It was really difficult to find my place between the skipper and our watch. She is very protective of her boat and keeps a tight hand on everything that happens above deck, and that's good.
    The last couple of days were reserved for an overnight race. The race started at 2pm and we made it back around 6pm the next day. The forecast had gale warning all over it and we started with two reefs, storm jib and staysail. The first leg was a long upwind slog. The wind instrument we're not reading correctly but it was in the 35-45 true range (and gusting,) and we were doing 9-12 knots. There was cross swell and combined waves would reach 8-12 ft, with steep walls/drops. Steering required holding onto the wheel or risking being thrown off when banging down on the low side, as one helms person found out when he was kicked out (skipper stepped in right away to recover steering). Our watch had the pleasure of putting reef 3; my role was to make the reef tack, on the leeward side. Hanging onto the mast (with my tether wrapped around the mast and strong points), the handy Billy in one hand, the boat banging around and me almost hanging over the water, it was not an easy task to get the shackle in the tack ring and close it. It went reasonably well and all was well in the end. I loved every part of it, standing in the cockpit, enjoying the rough weather. It was a wet ride though, especially when skipper wanted me on the leeward side tending to the traveler. With the rail deep in the water I was get getting my legs washed over regularly. There were no major injuries (lots of bruises though) and the only thing that broke was a staysail sheet (a quick tack, a new bowline, and that was that).
    The next morning the wind dropped to almost nothing and we popped a code 1 assymetric spinnaker. Finally skipper decided to retire and motor back. A deep clean the next day concluded my level 4.
    In a couple months I'll fly to Uruguay to cross the South Atlantic. In April I'll fly to China to cross the North Pacific. Everyone says it's the most difficult crossing, with cold temperatures, harsh weather and a boat that remains constantly wet for 4 weeks. I'll need a solid mid layer and more Merino wool underwear! There'll be little washing going around.
    Reflecting on the Clipper thing I see now that it appeals mostly to adventurous people looking for a change, a few of them sailors, some really good. It's very much a human experience that can transform crew if one so chooses to become a better person. I always come out with a bit of personality enhancement.

Shortie: cleaned up port halyard winch ...

Great write up!
    Sounds like some sporty conditions.
    You mentioned the contrast of solo sailing to crewed, how did that go this round?

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    Sounds like some sporty conditions.
    A quickie on Google drive:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...lNpajlWdER2R1E

I forgot to mention that the Volvo boats were there as well when we returned, getting ready for the FastNet.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    You mentioned the contrast of solo sailing to crewed, how did that go this round?
    I didn't get into trouble with anyone (someone did come to see me at the end to discuss an "event"). But none asked to stay in touch, if you know what I mean. I'm aloof I guess, I don't make contact with people easily, remaining distant. I think I'm slowly improving; in particular:

1. I didn't stay stuck on the "pity pot" after screwing up like I used to do;
    2. I didn't snap at anyone;
    3. I remained friendly, I think;
    4. I didn't hit a moody spot either;
    5. As watch leader I engaged the rest of the crew in debriefs after our watch would be over;
    6. I even received compliments from one of the crew for whom I had most respect.

I think I'm making progress ... I hope things will go well when I join the boat in Uruguay. I'm a loner in many ways and this is certainly stretching my comfort zone.

I went sailing today in very light wind for a bit of a refresh aboard Double Espresso and a bit of spinnaker practice. I like sailing solo, I really do. The experience is much more engaging. On a crewed boat everything is about human interaction. There is no activity that is not part of the group, none. Many decisions are taken out of one's control. Every move, every action is part of the larger picture. Solo, everything is about being part of a magical moment of sea, wind, technology and oneself coming together, in a constantly changing exchange of perception and action. Clipper may help me become a better sailor and a better person, but sailing solo is really where I find my way.

On a separate but not so distant topic ... I had been wandering about sex aboard. Take a mixed crew of 20 and put them at sea for 20 days, things are sure to happen. Clipper policies are silent on this topic. Well, I've learned that it all happens in the sail locker ... I do plan to stay out of that stuff.