Page 38 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Thread: Interested in a boat for 2018 TransPac

Very interesting experience Philippe. It's great you got some real open ocean experience but too bad there were limited real instruction/opportunities for in depth sail training. It sounds like a lot of interesting personalities would be involved in something like the Challenge and that came across in your report.
    Hope your O30 is doing well and you enjoy getting back in command of your own boat.

No personality issues aboard a singlehanded boat, though you may run out of things to talk about if the trip is long enough.

I originally thought I was alone in my predicament (i.e. being unhappy on a Clipper boat due to skipper's communication skills or lack thereof, and basically having a $20,000 shitty experience) ... but ... no. I'm finding out that folks who signed up for the whole round the world race are dropping out for similar reasons. And there are more injuries than are communicated. So ... think twice and YMMV ...

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    No personality issues aboard a singlehanded boat, though you may run out of things to talk about if the trip is long enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    being unhappy on a Clipper boat due to skipper's communication skills or lack thereof, and basically having a $20,000 shitty experience
    Ha, you can spend more and rely on your own poor skills in the SHTP! You bring your personality issues with you too!

Terrific write up PJ !

Get out on DE and clear your head!

It took a little longer than I thought but I finally got to sail Double Espresso again. I had forgotten how much work it is to sail ... I left at 10am and was back at 7pm, for a little over 4 hours of sailing.

It was a nice day with about 10 kts of breeze and a good sea. I did a bit of spinnaker work to refresh my memory and all was good.

Something weird though ... Somehow one of the batten from the main has disappeared. I looked at pictures from before my adventure with Clipper and the batten was there ... I'm not sure what to think.

Quote Originally Posted by Oceanslogic View Post
    ..local craigslist has a Scampi 30 for cheap....
    Here is that pretty Scampi in the Berzerkeley yard on Friday. I met the new owner, Larry Zedaker, who was very proud. HIs previous boat was a CS 36 Britannia. I sent him a schedule for the Transpac seminars. Melody was sailed in the 1994 Transpac by Peter Myrner with a time of 14:18:44:08.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

So, still a long way to go and I've very worried about being able to make the starting line but I made progress this weekend! To help save some money I made my emergency tiller this weekend using an axe handle.

Name:  UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_df4.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  294.5 KB

They can slip out the leech. The leach strap could have been worn through. I have had them come 1/2 way out once or twice.

BB

Guessing you're posting about PJ's battens...

#frontloadedbattens All the cool kids have 'em.