Page 39 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast

Thread: Interested in a boat for 2018 TransPac

Well, hit a major road block this week! I had planned on taking Bad Bunny to Ft Pierce Fl on December 8th to attempt my qualifying cruise. Yesterday the company I work for hit major issues with the CEO and the board being fired and the state of NC stepping in. Not sure if I'll have a job next week or next month and cannot risk spending the extra money on the trip; I hope to reschedule the trip for early January.

And all this after I just purchased a new 1.6oz symmetrical spinnaker. Was hoping to try this out on the qualifier cruise.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanRhone View Post
    Not sure if I'll have a job next week or next month ...
    Sounds familiar ...

I did a bit of work on the boat today, nothing you like guys artists though!

1. Replaced the missing batten;
    2. Updated Pelagic auto-pilot software;
    3. Bailed the bilge/emptied dehumidifier;
    4. Fooled around with two poles to figure out how that could work to jibe the spinnaker;
    5. Hammered the tiller wand pin (it keeps popping out);
    6. Inflated trailer tires (one's slowly losing air;
    7. Tested my minimalist "haul my ass" up the mast equipment: it's a climbing harness and a 4:1 tackle. I hoist it up the main halyard and pull myself up. I went up to the first spreaders a few times to practice. I wasn't exactly cautious about the whole thing, being that I did not have a safety line and that, if I want to rest, I have to hold the line with one hand and do a know with the other one ... Next step: get the wind vane transducer down for a send-off to Raymarine.
    8. Re-installed the Raymarine network converter, which the tech at Raymarine sent back to me with an "all clear" note.
    9. I think that's it ...

I'm anxious to sign up for the race!

Following the death of an experienced sailor on a Clipper Round The World boat I decided to buy a dry suit. Of course it may help with comfort, keeping me warm (er), but the main reason is such that if I do go in the drink in the North Pacific ... I will last a bit longer than just with my foulies ...

I bought a few more small items to get ready for an inspection: charts, 3 (!) watertight flashlights, hacksaw (to cut the rig; I have rod rigging), get a new fire extinguisher bracket.

Last items are an energy budget, a life raft and the acceptance of my RYA safety at sea training ...

Feeling (almost) ready! Itching to slip lines!

Few small boat projects have been taken care of lately: radar reflector installation, engine "refresh" (i.e. I started it after 7 months or so of it being stale, used TruFuel as recommended by Brian), replaced broken fire extinguisher bracket, submitted forms to Kidde for their recall. I also verified that my spare tiller will work with the auto-pilot installation. And Skip helped with tidying up the netting along the lifelines, smoothing out some screws that were poking out on the fore deck, replace skid pads on ladder. A few more shopping items came in as well: charts, water tight flashlights (3!), a hack saw.

I've been fooling around with qtVlm and GRIB files. I'm trying to get a route to BYC :-)

Sad to say, it looks like I will not be making 2018 SHTP race. I had to do my qualifier before the end of the year so I can say all my vacation time for the actual race and because of issues at work, I've been unable to take Bad Bunny to the Atlantic ocean for it.

It sounds like you still have your job so that's good! The window is rapidly closing for me too (for 2018).

Yep, I still have a job and feeling pretty good about keeping it; I like where I work. Just sucks that the last two years of prep is going to have to wait till 2020. I just don't have enough vacation time in 2018 to do the race and qualifier.

Is there any chance of doing the qualifier over a weekend and adding two or three days of unpaid leave to get it done? With all the other expenses it would seem a couple of unpaid days off might not break the budget. Hate to see you have to wait two more years.

Bill Meanley
    s/v Dolfin