Page 4 of 68 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Interested in a boat for 2018 TransPac

Quick update ... hoping for a sail on Double Espresso around 12/21.
    I called in for the Scampi. That's a little flaky at this point. I'll call again tomorrow.
    911s too expensive at this time, unless it's just as ready as Double Espresso, which I can't tell from the add on Sail Anarchy.
    I contacted Sail California but haven't heard from them.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

If I can make a suggestion, when you are thinking in terms of 'too expensive' or not, you should probably think in terms of total program cost, not just purchase price. Many experienced owners will agree that purchase cost is the least of it.

Of course, an honest budget would scare off a lot of people, and even more spouses!

Here are a few things to include

1. Boat purchase cost
    2. Running cost -- slip, ins. , taxes
    3. Electrical system upgrades -- batteries, charging, solar, etc.
    4. Rigging overhaul
    5. Sail budget
    6. A/P system with redundancy
    7. Comms gear (purchase or rental)
    8. E-rudder
    9. Lost income while taking time off work
    10. Return delivery or shipping (inc. trailer, ancillary expenses)

Good call ...

1. Boat purchase cost
    Note: Jason, if you're watching, this is not my offer to you; this a number that was suggested to me for the whole deal.

2. Running cost -- slip, ins. , taxes
    2 years: (250/mth for all 3)

3. Electrical system upgrades -- batteries, charging, solar, etc.
    Double Espresso should be ready. Adding 500 to fix anything that comes up.

4. Rigging overhaul
    Double Espresso is ready here.

5. Sail budget
    Double Espresso is ready here.

6. A/P system with redundancy
    I think Double Espresso only has one. May want to install pelagic instead.

7. Comms gear (purchase or rental)
    All's there, 1000 for subscription fees

8. E-rudder
    It's there

9. Lost income while taking time off work
    Boooh

10. Return delivery or shipping (inc. trailer, ancillary expenses)

11. Coaching, training, food, kitty, shit happens

TOTAL: 43500

Resale value: 25000 (who am I kidding)

Out of pocket: $18500

Ah ... poke at it ... make me cry :-)

We've found it's best to avoid doing this calculation.

Those are fairly reasonable numbers. Figuring $20k, not including the boat, for a 2 year SHTP campaign. Sounds about right.

Can you really get a slip in the Bay area for $250/mo for a 30 footer, nevermind the taxes and insurance?

A few of your numbers have a little padding, so that's good. You'll use it somewhere else, I'm sure.
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Bermuda 1-2 on a Schumacher 28

Berkeley upwind shared slip for Dura Mater/ 27' = $301; in Grand Marina individual no wind slip = $291.

Brisbane 30' double-finger = $240. Single-finger about $220. Other options might be further south bay, maybe deep in the Oakland estuary, maybe San Rafael...30' under $300 involves limitations. And that's excluding taxes and insurance as others note.
    Might want to bump your monthly to 300 or 350. Gas House and most of Sausalito were close to or over $400 as of a few months ago. Brickyard and Marina Bay I think were around the 300 mark for 28-30' when I was looking last year.

Now I'm curious: what is the insurance situation for SHTP'ers? Is there a requirement to be insured all the way across, and how do insurance companies treat singlehanders? Is it "good riddance--er, luck, to you" once you leave the Gulf of the Farallons and "welcome back, coastal policyholder!" when you're 20 miles from Hawaii? Or do some get serious bluewater cruising type coverage (whatever that is)?
    Last edited by Lanikai; 12-12-2016 at 05:45 PM.

Insurance: Nothing from the SSS requires insurance. Your marina will. You won't find insurance for the trip, or at least none you would want to pay for. It is virtually non existent. Assume in your budget that you may lose the boat.

Slip fees: I 2 nd the Brisbane costs, my boat is in a 35' slip and the cost is $240. If you happen to locate there you want to be on docks 3 or higher. There is a wind gradient between 1 and 3 that is somewhat remarkable. Also note, expect to use your storm sails to get back to the marina on an average summer day.

Brian
    Last edited by brianb; 12-12-2016 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    ... you want to be on docks 3 or higher. There is a wind gradient between 1 and 3 that is somewhat remarkable. Also note, expect to use your storm sails to get back to the marina on an average summer day.
    Brian
    Second that. Moved into dock 6 in May. It can be a deceptively balmy 5 kts at the slip but 25 a hundred yards beyond the breakwater. Engine use has gone way down since moving from the estuary. Turn the corner at Hunter's point and it's a screaming wet starboard tack right to the entrance. Mt. San Bruno makes things interesting.
    The pigeon turd, however, has been an unwelcome change from Alameda.

It's confirmed. Test sail on Double Espresso Wednesday 12/21 afternoon, Santa Cruz. It's 10 days away so things could happen between now and then. If anyone's willing/interested to help test sail and evaluate for SHTP readiness please PM me.