Page 45 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast

Thread: Interested in a boat for 2018 TransPac

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    I've hit a road block ... There's no wifi multiplexer that will take USB input. The VHF AIS/GPS is NMEA 0183 and the instruments are on a SeaTalk ng network, i.e. NMEA 2000. qtVlm only reads 0183. In other words I need another Actisense like device to convert before getting to the NMEA to WiFi bridge. That's now more costly than I had hoped ...
    Here is a thread that might help.

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/ind...hernet-vyacht/

Update on my Clipper adventure: I've cancelled my participation in leg 6. I need to focus on finding a job and I need the funds. The fact that more crew on the boat I was on are stepping off early didn't help. It's really sad what this skipper is doing to people and the lack of effort by organizers to fix the situation. I cannot recommend to fellow sailors.

Great seminar and meeting out people this evening. There may be up to 5 Olson 30s this year and maybe an Olson 29. So much so for having a boat that could finish first :-)
    I think I'll be like that guy fishing, except I'm not a fisherman ... I'm not sure what one does on an Olson 30 being battered exiting the West Coast Pacific.

I had a great chat with Brian and Dave at the end of the session as well, which was a bit of an eye opener in terms of the race start. There's more strategy to this than I thought: my strategy could have been summarized as 243 but ...

When I think about the SHTP I think about being out there in steady strong winds. I don't think about leaving or arriving or anchoring or returning. All that is noise right now and I need to build the brains to understand that noise.

The few SSS races I'll do this year before the SHTP will likely be a good eye opener for me in terms of the type of race I'll do ...

I may join a J30 delivery to San Diego in March, which would be good experience as well.

PJ: check your PM.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

2. Removed the battery isolator/combiner, which is for sale now: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/bpo...487955961.html
    sold

Another slow day at the boat ... I plugged in the 100W solar panel to see if the controller was going to handle it just fine and move batteries through the charge cycle. I did a lot of waiting. The first battery went through charge, absorption and then float so that's good news. But the second went through charge, absorption then back down to charge. I've reached out to the manufacturer to confirm if that's normal and could be related to the sun going down on the horizon. We'll see what they come back with.

I noticed one of the screw of the bow navigation lights had somehow popped out. I proceeded to screw it back in but it broke (completely corroded or maybe I am now very strong) so I replaced it.

My neighbor moved his boat to launch it for tomorrow's race and scraped one of his stanchion along the hull. I brought it to his attention and he took no responsibility. That was with me being there so I can't imagine things being better when I am not there. I went to the management team and requested a new slip, which I was granted. I'd hope for more caution if not respect ... Not everybody is an expert at fiberglass and gel coat repair.

I also stopped by one of the yacht broker there and started feeling the water for a bigger boat. The guy was excited when I was telling him what I want. Disenchantment followed quickly when I shared my budget.

It's confirmed: my buyer in Hawaii is pulling out (18k being too much).

For tomorrow's race I have not yet figured out what to use for navigation ... And with so many markers I'm sure my track will be all over the place ...

For tomorrow's race I have not yet figured out what to use for navigation ... And with so many markers I'm sure my track will be all over the place ...
    Pfew ... I'm beat and battered. I've not been sailing enough lately. The SSS Corinthian race was a good reminder that I need to sail Double Espresso and practice evolutions.

So how was it? No collision, yeah! Although when returning to Brickyard Cove I missed a marker I hadn't seen by a boat length; I only saw it after it was astern. I was getting the jib down and forgot to check for clear run way.

I messed up the course multiple times. I think I messed up first at the start. I was pointing to the Bridge before I realized everyone else was on the other tack.

Then I went for the first mark, little Harding, except ... I went to the rock itself. I had to backtrack to the first mark. I think what mislead me was how I wrongly interpreted what the boats far ahead we're doing.

I went clockwise around Alcatraz and that was fine but I didn't feel like using the spinnaker. Once I rounded Blossom I was overpowered with the #3. Going to Blackakker wasn't pretty.

Then going with the wind I had a bit of fun with surfs and hitting low double digit speed. However I got carried away and came too close to Angel island. A few jibes, a try at poling out the #3, nothing helped and I slogged in a wind hole until the breeze came back hard on the nose, being overpowered again.

I rounded Southampton and decided it was time to drop the #3. That took a while but I was back to a comfortable ride. By this time I'm heading into Raccoon, right in the center, shooting for the finish line, which was taking a long time because the breeze was gusty and from everywhere.

If you've paid attention to my little story you picked my last mix up: I forgot about rounding little Harding! I only realized when I was a few boat lengths away from the line and noticed all the boats coming in from the other side. Before that I had been wondering where everyone was and if I had been that slow. One last jaunt to little Harding and then to the finish line and the day was over. I did hoist the #3 for the last leg.

Well then ... I wasn't last by much. Somehow I managed to be second in my fleet.

So what needs work?

1. Poling out the jib: I still haven't found a nice process;
    2. ‎When I started easing the sheets I applied what I learned here and elsewhere: I moved the lead outside. That worked well. I ended up with 4 jib sheets. That became a problem later on when I changed headsail. When I moved two sheets to the #4 I managed to get the starboard sheet of the #3 stuck under. So when I went back to #3, rounded little Harding and went to tack ... I couldn't and had to rerun my starboard sheet before I could tack.
    3. ‎Arguably I should have put the spinnaker up but I didn't have the courage to do it.
    4. ‎It was a mess inside, including a spill from my little gas tank.

Wrapping things out at Brickyard Cove took a long time and it was 7:20pm when I left. I haven't figured out a good process to handle the crane (which happens to be sub par).

What's next then?

A shower and a good night sleep, that's what.

On a side note it's been really nice meeting some of the folks active on the forum! And thanks for the help Steven and Joe.

Good write up. I had a rough day too. Not good wind angles to try to fly a spin solo. Too reachy.

And too much doublehanded traffic...

Having done these SSS Bay races many times, I can say it's becoming very difficult for singlehanders, unless your race strategy is just to stay far away from other boats.