Page 52 of 68 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast

Thread: Interested in a boat for 2018 TransPac

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    Yes that's what I read elsewhere: I'm better off putting a regular charger in the AC outlet.

Ok ... so that spells a large charger and a generator because if it's cloudy I may get a few amps from the solar panel but not much. I think the generators that don't suffer from the boat's heeling are the 2 stroke engines. A four stroke may require an oil pan to be flat (I think). 2 strokes are also lighter (used to be at least) but they've become rare.
    I believe two strokes are illegal in Calif. You might look in Texas, or anything below the Mason Dixon line for higher polluting engines/generators.

eBay is where I picked up a quite small old but working fine Honda 2 stroke generator that weighs maybe 10 pounds. 280 watts (I think).

I stopped by the boat today to drop the #3 and a few other things.

I reconnected the tiny solar panel on the stern lazarette then drove to Pittsburgh and had a good time chatting with Rob T who was working on his boat. He was generous too and donated a mid size solar panel and controller, which I put to work right away. I'll need to figure out how I'll mount it so for now it's keeping the batteries topped up. Thanks Rob!

No sailing today though ... But I did pick up the little plaque from the SSS Corinthian race that Joe B put in the halyard pocket (thank you Joe!).

Oh, and I had ordered a bunch of legal size waterproof paper so that log book project may see the light soon.

The last time I flew the spinnaker I broke a little device that Paul Kamen had installed on Double Espresso. I'm going to rebuild it and replace it. Although I'm sure it'll get in the way of the spinnaker sheet again ... This device sits on the coaming (one each side) and holds the tiller extension in place (locking the rudder really). There are better solutions to this and I may change that. It's a bunch of PVC parts.

With the rain coming down today I could see some of the leaks ... including one right on top of my starboard berths. I'm not sure I'll fix that as it'd require working on the traveller. My sleeping bag is waterproof :-0

On the 2 stroke generator they seem to still be ok in CA ...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Pulsar-1...202S/207111957

Not as light as in the good old days ... Still looking ...

Oh,and there is indeed shore power on Double Espresso, although I didn't test it as I didn't have an adapter ... I'm not sure it'll make sense to use it.

Small projects ...

Log book project ... I wish I felt confident enough to tackle projects like Tiger beetle's ... This will do for me :-)
    Name:  IMG_20180315_121421654.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  3.60 MB

And some reading ...
    Name:  IMG_20180313_113209255.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  3.57 MB

Another 8 hour day at the boat, another slow day.

I had plans to fix the "tiller-locker", install the 43 W panel and then go sailing.

The "tiller-locker" was done quickly. The panel was another story. As suggested I bought an aluminum bar stock and a rail clamp. After that things went downhill. I think I must have screwed that bar stock on and off 10 times while I was trying different things. First I tried to put the panel on the port rail, where it would be mostly hanging outside the boat (the satellite antenna is in the way). That didn't work as there was too much weight for the clamp to hold (the panel would flip backward). I moved the clamp to be just off center, evening out weight a bit better as well. Then I tried in between the backstay. It worked well there but somehow in the process the clamp got incorrectly threaded and I had to get the saw to cut if off the rail. Last I tried on the starboard rail and it worked ok there. So the plan is:

1. Keep the 43 W panel permanently on the starboard stern rail when day sailing. This should keep the batteries topped off.
    2. When leaving for multiple days move the 43 W panel to in between the backstay and place the 100 W panel on the starboard stern quarter (I have not verified that they don't obstruct each either too much; going from East to West in the northern latitudes would be ok :-).

The 43 W panel, just like the 4 W panel, is connected directly to the positive bus, unlike the 100 W panel, which goes to a fuse then a battery combiner switch. And I have both batteries connected to the fuse panel so they're both being charged.

I had bought 18 feet of wire to connect the panel to the batteries and controller; unfortunately that proved too short so I had to extend it. In that process I managed to flip + and - so that the controller was not seeing a charge from the panel. I had to fix that too.

I don't get it; everything I did was wrong today, multiple times. What should have taken one hour ended up taking 6 hours. And it's not perfect ... I guess it could be called learning.

There was no sailing today then. I don't know about the cruise in as the forecast calls for rain ...

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    I don't get it; everything I did was wrong today, multiple times. What should have taken one hour ended up taking 6 hours. And it's not perfect ... I guess it could be called learning.
    If you've followed me a bit you've probably noticed that I am a fervent practitioner of self-deprecation. I'm finding that it's not working well for me. I've been feeling quite low these past days/weeks. Maybe I ought to be a little more realistic and encouraging instead of harshly critical. I do feel like I have made some progress in one area; I used to be angry often on the boat and that seems to have subsided. I remember during the Corinthian race on the leg to Southampton shoals sailing along another singlehander who was not particularly happy, yelling the F words a good dozen times. I saw myself in him. I wish him (and me) to outgrow that; it's not fun being angry and it doesn't help. Anger is sticky; it takes a long time to get rid of it.

Now I just need to find a way to be happy about my journey to Hanalei Bay, instead of calling myself an ignoramus monkey ...

I haven't found a small 2 stroke generator yet. If you see one trolling along let him or her know there's a home waiting ...

Being 3 months away from the start date almost exactly I think it's time to start talking fitness (fitness of the body and the mind, see above). I've started to exercise a little:

1. Doing pull ups (have a bar in the garage) and push ups just to make sure I am a little strong in the arms;
    2. I stepped back on my bicycle, which is on an indoor trainer, for 30 minutes.

I haven't put up a fitness plan but think I will. I did learn with Clipper that when tired it's easy to be weak, and when weak everything becomes daunting. Of course the alternative where force doesn't work is knowledge and experience. For me, being that I'm growing my knowledge and experience, I will likely need force, like I've had to man the spinnaker pole back in place because I forgot to ease the sheet enough.

I spent time today to create a pre-departure checklist and here's the link if you need inspiration or would like to make suggestions:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

And there's that beautiful Open 40 boat in Grenada that I am attracted to ... but where's the money when you need it ...

Hi Phillippe -
    I don't have a lot of time to go through with microscope, but your list looks like a good start.
    The biggest thing I see missing is a First Aid and Med kit.

First Aid and Meds for what can go wrong and self treating is a non-trivial matter.
    Bearing in mind that Bela Bartok's skipper needed to be taken off his boat in 2012 with an untreated staph infection, antiboitic's are highly recommended.

We will go over medical considerations and provisioning in the next seminar, but in the interim I have attached what has become a somewhat standardized "suggested" list, courtesy of Michael Jefferson.
    It also has a note for your doctor which explains to them the medical justification for the antibiotic & pain prescriptions.
    note that the doctor who wrote the note may or may not be still practicing or in the same position at Kaiser...
    Mikes-med-list-and-note-2012.pdf
    Last edited by DaveH; 03-21-2018 at 12:45 PM.

In response to the earlier posts about generators, this is too good not to share:

Name:  100 pct Electric.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  105.9 KB
    Last edited by BobJ; 03-21-2018 at 01:34 PM.

Harbor Freight usually has small generators fairly cheap, around $100, and sell different levels of warranty.

https://www.harborfreight.com/catalo...Cf&q=generator

Of course what good is a warranty mid pacific!

I was considering one myself.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    The biggest thing I see missing is a First Aid and Med kit.

First Aid and Meds for what can go wrong and self treating is a non-trivial matter.
    Mikes-med-list-and-note-2012.pdf
    Love the "minimalist" part ... thanks for pointing that out. I do have a med kit I keep in the boat at all time. But yeah, if Mike's list in minimalist, mine is ... cubism?

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    Harbor Freight usually has small generators fairly cheap, around $100, and sell different levels of warranty.
    The tailgator ... it has taken several forms/brand names over the years. You can look it up there's quite a bunch of videos about them ... It's still on the heavy end (40 lbs). The lightest I found (4 stroke, 21 lbs) so far is the Sportsman 1000 Watt Inverter Generator. But the reviews are ... confounding at the least.

BTW ... if someone needs a Professional Services manager/director or is looking for help with integration services then I'm for hire :-)