Page 55 of 68 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast

Thread: Interested in a boat for 2018 TransPac

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    D-83
    Oh, and anyone has a (very) specific suggestion for wool to wool spinnakers? Like a link ... Mine is just too strong.
    Baby Yarn

Main halyard chafe in the SHTP can happen as the headboard swings outboard when running downwind, rubbing the halyard against the protruding ears of the masthead sheave box. Preventative is to radius the edges of the ears with sandpaper, use the inboard grommet on the main headboard, and cover the main halyard near the shackle with chafe preventative, tape or otherwise.
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-05-2018 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Baby Yarn
    Only WOOL yarn breaks. Other yarns must be cut.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Baby Yarn
    Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Only WOOL yarn breaks. Other yarns must be cut.
    So 100% wool? Like this?
    https://www.yarn.com/products/valley...Y-SUPERWADK-07

Yes, but this will be free. I'll bring it to the Round the Rocks meeting next Wednesday;
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Yes, but this will be free. I'll bring it to the Round the Rocks meeting next Wednesday;
    Thanks! See you then :-)

D-79

I looked at my main halyard and it looks like the halyard shackle is attached to the halyard through the reeving eye aka Flemish eye splice. I learned today that this type of eye splice is non load bearing. I'm going to have to fix that. Any preference for the knot I'll use to attach the halyard to the shackle? I've read about the halyard hitch, the buntline hitch and the halyard knot :-).

http://www.wavetrain.net/techniques-...l-halyard-knot
    http://www.animatedknots.com/halyard/index.php
    http://www.animatedknots.com/buntline/index.php
    Last edited by jamottep; 04-05-2018 at 04:32 PM.

I looked at my main halyard and it looks like the halyard shackle is attached to the halyard through the reeving eye aka Flemish eye splice.
    That's hard to believe - that boat last raced in a windy (2016) Pacific Cup. Have you talked with Jason about their prep and what should be checked/refreshed?

For spinnaker wrapping yarn I visited the fabric store in Alameda (Joann, Beverly, Michaels - whatever is most convenient, Beverley is in alameda so I went there) and investigated all the wool yarns looking for the thinnest, easiest-to-break stuff. I pull tested them right there in the aisle, hoping that nobody would be too upset if their yarn skein was 4" shorter than average. I bought several skeins of the easiest-to-break thin wool they had - worked great. For use, take a plastic water bottle that the skein will fit in, cut off of the bottom of the bottle, insert the skein standing up with the yarn end sticking up out of the top, and tape the bottom back onto the bottle. Instant yarn feeding device that won't tangle.

I was more concerned about the main halyard shackle somehow coming unscrewed/detached/breaking away from the headboard than chafe; I did my normal attach-the-halyard-to-the-sail then ran a bunch of loops of thin diameter spectra through halyard eye splice loop and the headboard as a safety. If the shackle breaks/unscrews/detaches the load will shift over to the spectra line. To wrap it up I put a bunch of rubber rigging tape (same stuff you'd use over turnbuckles to hide the cotter pins) around the spectra - no way that knot was going to come off.

And Skip is right, watch out for halyard cutting/chafe at the masthead when the sail is full hoist and plastered against the rig whil sailing downhill - the halyard is coming out an almost-90 degree angle to the sheave and can wear on the sheave, the surrounding metal structure, etc. Be sure that all is smooth. If chafe is a known problem plan to drop the sail daily and inspect the halyard for chafe. Be prepared to shorten the halyard 6" every couple of days if the halyard starts to be eaten by the masthead.

- rob/beetle

D-79 Any preference for the knot I'll use to attach the halyard to the shackle? I've read about the halyard hitch, the buntline hitch and the halyard knot :-).
    Buntline works just fine and something I've used for many years...

For the main, I use hefty screw shackles on the halyard. These are moused with black cable ties so there's no way they can unintentionally shake loose (Yeah, right.)

There should be a protective sheath over the last 6 to 12 inches of halyards going through the sheave.
    https://www.marlowropes.com/product/...sleeve-dyneema

Eye splices are stronger and less bulky than knots but can't be moved the way a knot can. Resplicing a pre-tensioned rope is difficult to impossible. I use splices with abrasion protection...can always knot it if necessary.

Putting smooth stainless lips past where the halyard exits the sheaves also helps.

Bear in mind that if an internal halyards breaks it is a pain to repair at sea.

These halyard chafe problems are usually encountered only on a long downwind passage.

BTW, spinnaker halyards take way more tension than main or jib. You're pretty much towing your boat to Hawaii with them.