Page 58 of 68 FirstFirst ... 848545556575859606162 ... LastLast

Thread: Interested in a boat for 2018 TransPac

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Sailor View Post
    Uhhh, no, I don't. I only have two halyards on the front side of the mast -- an internal one for the head sail on the roller furler and an external for the A-sym. Dropping the sail off of the roller to hoist the net seems really impractical, so the question becomes: Is this important enough with only an A-sym (in a sock) that I should consider adding another external halyard?
    I have one of Synthia's excellent spinnaker nets and used it in the 2006 SHTP. If you slack the jib sheets (red in my photo) and tie them down forward, you can hoist the spinnaker net over the furled jib - the loops are large enough.* But for my boat, I decided an over-sheeted blade (jib) had the same effect, and it also helped get the bow back down in a broach. I later bought a proper spinnaker stays'l and run it on a little Karver furler.

Hell hath no fury like a sock, spinnaker net and kite all hopelessly twisted together up high where you can't reach it. To quote Rob, "ask me how I know this."

*Yes, you'd need another halyard. Rags has two jib halyards (the lower one is used as a topping lift) and two spinny halyards.

As our readers can tell, there's no end to this stuff. Get a 40 year-old Olson 30 or Moore 24, keep it simple, practice a lot and go beat everybody. It's been the recipe for years.

Before I head to the boat I wanted to add a tidbit: There are few sailors better at racing a small boat than Melinda and Bill Erkelens, yet for the very windy Double-Damned (Columbia River) they used a spinnaker sock on their Wylie Wabbit. Very nice for gybing (etc.) in 35-knot gusts. I plan to use mine more, now that I've resolved some issues with it. (Teaser: One help with a sprit is running the dousing lines OVER the center pulpit bar...)
    Last edited by BobJ; 04-08-2018 at 11:50 AM.

Hi I’m not trying to hijack the thread but I’ve been following this thread on and off. Really enjoying it all. My question is to you and everyone following. I may know someone needing to ship a hobie 33 to Hawaii Honolulu. He could pay for the shipping over and help with costs. Please contact me if interested. Thanks, jd
    Last edited by Haveahobieday; 04-08-2018 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Haveahobieday View Post
    Hi I’m not trying to hijack the thread but I’ve been following this thread on and off. Really enjoying it all. My question is to you and everyone following. I may know someone needing to ship a hobie 33 to Hawaii Honolulu. He could pay for the shipping over and help with costs. Please contact me if interested. Thanks, jd
    It's probably just me but I'm not sure what you're asking for. If that person wants to ship a boat to Hawaii then ... Put it on a trailer and ship it.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Sailor View Post
    Uhhh, no, I don't
    Neither do I ...

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Are you sure you want to encourage PJ to do something like that? We want all the racers to end up safely in Hanalei Bay ...
    I like to keep things simple. I also don't like problems. I've shied away from double pole gybes or tweakers for example. We talk a lot about gybing here. Taking squalls out of the picture why would we gybe so much offshore?

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    I like to keep things simple. We talk a lot about gybing here. Taking squalls out of the picture why would we gybe so much offshore?
    The reason for gybing so much offshore is the SHTP is it's a race, the second half being DDW. Even in the absence of squalls, the tradewinds are not steady. If the wind shifts as little as 5-10 degrees one side of DDW, even a short time on the favored gybe is a gainer. A five minute gain here, a 10 minute gain there, adds up over 1,000 miles. All day sailing the favored gybe will put you miles ahead of a boat sailing more miles in the wrong direction, n'cest pas?
    Last edited by sleddog; 04-09-2018 at 04:46 PM.

Thanks for the replies and links for the spinnaker questions. I have many more. One thing is about the scale of boat for using a sock...35 ft or greater. My boat is 37 ft. I've used a sock without problems but not in suddenly high winds. I've heard that even a sock behind the main can get out of control.

Also, I have been able to letterbox douse over my dodger, possibly because it has a smooth bar along its trailing edge.

Does anyone have a photo of their spinnaker net? I'm in the process of making one from webbing but sounds like there are some subtleties.

One more: Does anyone have experience with top-down furlers and care to comment? Aside from the reverse twist effect, which may have been resolved by Spinex, do the advantages of convenient setting and dousing from the cockpit offset the complexity? I notice not too many singlehanders are using them.

D-75

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    I looked at my main halyard and it looks like the halyard shackle is attached to the halyard through the reeving eye aka Flemish eye splice.
    Oh what a thrill! I lied! The eye splice had been so much compressed that it looked like a reeving eye at first glance but the core was there indeed. I cut this off and put in a halyard hitch (picture below). I didn't hoist the main to cross-check it would not get stuck up there. The rope is very stiff. I checked all halyards and shackles and all seemed just fine.

I replaced the port #3 jib fairlead with the new used one I got from eBay. I put my micro bilge pump to work as the bilge was full from the past rains. Oh, how comfortable it is not to have to sponge it it out anymore!

I disconnected the solar panels from the batteries. They each read 13.5 V, which seems high as I recall a rest reading being 12.9 V. We'll see where they settle.

And then, for the first time, it was bigger than I could handle ... I looked at the hoist, the golf cart mule, the water; I let the wind slip off my face and I turned my back to it all and went home.

Name:  IMG_20180409_125630991.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  1.43 MB

D-74

With the family away at Palm Springs I've been sleeping in, which is goooood. I went to BYC and decided to first get the boat in the water. All my energy stepping off the car is poured into getting the boat in the water. This way everything goes downhill from there. There'll be no more pretending I'm doing something on the boat then going home without sailing. We'll see if that works.

I motored out and came along a large row boat, seemingly designed to cross oceans. It's berthed at BYC too. I should try and talk to the lady rowing and see what her plans are.

I hoisted the #3, then turned off the engine and hoisted the main. It worked just fine. I carried on in light winds to Racoon and the wind started building up. Once at the bridge I turned around. My goal for today was to try poling out jibs again. I've done it with the #3 last week and I wanted to try with the #2. So first the #3 went up. This wing on wing thing works really well once the breeze goes up. With the #3 and one reef in the main, at 18 kts, which I think was max today, the boat was going just shy of 8 kts dead downwind. With the #2 and no reef in the main, I got just over 7 kts in 14 kts of wind DDW.

Now that I'm using lines to manage the whisker pole everything is so much easier. Besides spending time at the bow (the smallest place on Earth) the hardest part is easing out the jib to leeward when releasing the pole to come out of wind on wing.

I also tried reaching with the #2. That was not as comfortable but it was fast. In 18 kts of wind at 100 AWA (130 TWA) the boat speed was reading just under 10 kt. I don't know that the sail liked this though. I think that's more than it can handle so I got out of that pretty quickly. There was a lot of heeling too. Anyways it was fun seeing the knot meter climb up.

I got caught in the wind shadow of Angel Island again so the motor was put to work again.

Voila, that was pretty much my day.

Here's a video on Youtube: https://youtu.be/wpg4g4kpZF8
    Last edited by jamottep; 04-11-2018 at 11:16 PM.

How do you calibrate your boat speed and wind speed? I am struggling with this, myself.