Page 6 of 68 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: Interested in a boat for 2018 TransPac

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    Ah ... Price went down in half on the Scampi after my visit ... $2500 now.
    Ah, yeah, that would be an issue for sure. Especially bulging at the deck. Time to re bed those chain plate supports. A fellow dock mate had his split in two on an islander 36 while underway. He was really lucky the deck held it in place and was able to shorten sail and head in. We glass in a new plywood plate. The old one was located near a on board shower and the shower water had dry rotted the plywood. I think Steve with s/v Frolic completely re beded his prior to the 2012 race.

Brian

I'm wondering ... Would anyone have an idea of what the cost is for a boat yard in the bay to do the following on the Scampi 30?
    1. Complete service of a two cylinder diesel engine $1500
    2. Re-bed chain plates for two shrouds.$2500
    3. Bottom job. $2000
    4. Service and tune standing rigging. $2500
    5. Install new set of electronics, incl comm & parts. $5000
    6. Service prop and shaft. $1500.
    Order of magnitude is good. I put my guess. That's $15000 to refit the boat ... Probably way off?

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    I'm wondering ... Would anyone have an idea of what the cost is for a boat yard in the bay to do the following on the Scampi 30?
    1. Complete service of a two cylinder diesel engine $1500
    2. Re-bed chain plates for two shrouds.$2500
    3. Bottom job. $2000
    4. Service and tune standing rigging. $2500
    5. Install new set of electronics, incl comm & parts. $5000
    6. Service prop and shaft. $1500.
    Order of magnitude is good. I put my guess. That's $15000 to refit the boat ... Probably way off?
    It might be better to find a boat that is closer to being ready to go.

+1

They're out there. You're learning a lot by looking though.

At almost $31K I think the Olson 30 is high. The price (especially on the gear) will come down over time.
    Last edited by BobJ; 12-18-2016 at 08:00 PM.

There is an Olson 30 for sale in Olympia for $7500.

What would be the cost of equipping a bare boat to SHTP standards? Life raft, e-rudder, storm sails, autopilots, etc. It's a chunk of change and you have the time required to buy and install all that stuff. It can eat up 1.5 years in a hurry. Realistically, very few people at this point could buy a boat that wasn't very ready to go now and make it to the startline in 2018.

I bought boat a bare boat similar to an O30, 23 months before Pacific Cup and just barely got the boat ready in time. And I had two people committed to the job.
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Bermuda 1-2 on a Schumacher 28

I'm going to speak up here and you're probably not going to like what I have to say...
    ...Don't buy a boat that is Ready For The Transpac.

Buy a boat that is structurally sound and MAKE it ready for the transpac.

You write that you're not an experienced sailor. The way you get ready for this event is by a. Sailing alone a LOT and b. Analyzing, installing, breaking, and fixing a lot of shightte. When something goes south "out there" you Need to know how to fix it. How are you going to do that without DOING it?

Don't buy a boat with a big keel bolt issue or a deck delamination issue, eh? Also don't assume you gotta have a hot race boat to do this race. I took a Santa Cruz 27 across and while it was a good boat for me around the Bay, I don't have The personality to drive that boat aggressively for 15-17 days. Olson 30s are great boats, so are Hobie 33s. Are they a great boat for YOU?
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

There was a day, many years ago in the SSS, that I spent a fair bit of time watching a certain red Scampi 30s tidy little transom. Just an historical note.

Cal 20's and Pearson Electras have done the SHTP. However, their skippers knew every piece of kit on their boats inside-out. I well remember , also many years ago, a guy who bought a nice new expensive European boat. He paid another guy to do all the work for him. ALL of it. He did a couple of Bay races, went around the farallones, did the longpac and then did the SHTP. The "boat boy" brought the boat back to California.

Who got the respect? You can "buy" the SHTP race rather like how many (but certainly not all) Very Big Boat Owners "buy" that other Transpac. It's been done. The mountains and rainbows in Hanalei are the same for both. But the experience and the achievement are not. It depends on what you want, what you do.

Buy a boat that is structurally sound and MAKE it ready for the transpac.

You write that you're not an experienced sailor. The way you get ready for this event is by a. Sailing alone a LOT and b. Analyzing, installing, breaking, and fixing a lot of shightte. When something goes south "out there" you Need to know how to fix it. How are you going to do that without DOING it?
    +1

This is the route I'm going. I have replaced the drive shaft, cutlass bearing, installed PSS, self steering wind vane, AIS, all hoses below the water line, every through hull have been serviced and or replaced, rudder post repacked, steering (cables, armature, pullies) disassembled serviced and reassembled and tuned, pulled all standing rigging, resized and replaced because the mast was not properly seated on the mast step and settled 2" after a vigorous sail (30knts close hauled for 6 hrs)...this was something I and the surveyor missed when I bought the boat. Stupidity?...maybe but shit happens. Things will not reveal themselves on a boat until you push her. And I just barely got started. I've pulled the boat twice in one year. All the work I have done myself and some of it has been a steep learning curve, but I'm glad Ive done it. I know my boat. I have confidence that what I fixed was done properly and safe. If anything I probably overthink shit too much. I guess I'll figure that out too.
    Buy a boat that speaks to you and that has a good reputation, sail the shit out of it and break stuff. Figure out what works and doesn't work for you. Strip off stuff you don't use or need. Add what is required and what works for how you sail. Sometimes you'll sail the boat and other times the boat will sail you. Make it yours. Start now!

Quote Originally Posted by Steevee View Post
    +1

This is the route I'm going. I have replaced the drive shaft, cutlass bearing, installed PSS, self steering wind vane, AIS, all hoses below the water line, every through hull have been serviced and or replaced, rudder post repacked, steering (cables, armature, pullies) disassembled serviced and reassembled and tuned, pulled all standing rigging, resized and replaced because the mast was not properly seated on the mast step and settled 2" after a vigorous sail (30knts close hauled for 6 hrs)...this was something I and the surveyor missed when I bought the boat. Stupidity?...maybe but shit happens. Things will not reveal themselves on a boat until you push her. And I just barely got started. I've pulled the boat twice in one year. All the work I have done myself and some of it has been a steep learning curve, but I'm glad Ive done it. I know my boat. I have confidence that what I fixed was done properly and safe. If anything I probably overthink shit too much. I guess I'll figure that out too.
    Buy a boat that speaks to you and that has a good reputation, sail the shit out of it and break stuff. Figure out what works and doesn't work for you. Strip off stuff you don't use or need. Add what is required and what works for how you sail. Sometimes you'll sail the boat and other times the boat will sail you. Make it yours. Start now!
    I haven't torn engines apart, not have I had hydraulic or mechanical steering to deal with but the rest of this rings true. Remember that 98% of the sailboats on SF Bay have never gone past Point Bonita. The doesn't mean they're "bad boats" and can't do a sail to Hanalei, but it's up to you to make sure.

to the OP....

This. THIS. What stevee wrote.
    Last edited by AlanH; 12-22-2016 at 07:21 PM.