Page 64 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1454606162636465666768 LastLast

Thread: Interested in a boat for 2018 TransPac

Quote Originally Posted by The Smokester View Post
    Can someone chime in with the largest typical file size they have downloaded with the Iridium Go!? I don't see file restarts either.
    I am using Sailmail/Airmail on Beetle's laptop to send/receive email and attachments through Iridium GO, file sizes are typically 20K, the big ones are 65-80K. Note that this approach utilizes Sailmail/Airmail capabilities to manage dropped satellite connections and mid-file restart.

I have sent photos from the boat using the Iridium GO Mail & Web App running on my Android "smart phone", this approach does use Iridium's built-in connection and file handling - large photos were 100K though I try to keep them smaller than that (e.g., resize, strip EXIF data, etc.).

I know of one person that was able to download a 900K file over Iridium GO. While it took a long time to do the transfer it was very important to them to get that particular .pdf document to their boat.

I believe the Iridium Mail & Web App default file size limit is 50K, anything larger is directed to what Iridium Mail terms Big Mail and won't be sent over the satellite connection to the GO. The setting, if I recall correctly, is in the App's User Settings under the Limit inbound & outbound file sizes (maximum is 1M). You might want to play with that and do some testing; I would highly recommend testing without using SailGrib to verify you can send/receive a large file via email to yourself - say a 100k grib file as an emai attachment. When you know that works, then bring SailGrib into the loop and demonstrate that the functionality is replicated.

- rob/beetle

D-2

And voilą, Double Espresso is at CYC. It was nice to meet Dazzler/Tom and Shad. The day started with the rental life raft pick up. I loaded a few more items, installed an additional USB charger, washed the deck (birdies!), put DE in the water, loaded a few more items, installed the solar panel and I think it was about 2:30 when I pushed off under reefed main. It was a slow and comfortable ride. George and Dave were there to help and complete the inspection. After a Uber ride back to BYC I drove home. And that's that.

So why am I doing this? After doing a lot of digging I still don't know. I think the closest I came to is "because I can", kinda like why not. Oh well ... If the Trof engulfes the fleet I'll have plenty of time to think about this ...

P.S.: I think it's great that we have a life raft rental shop in the Bay. Now the life raft I got is 10 years old, shows rust and a good amount of wear, and I'm down for a $3,200 security deposit. That is far from reasonable. It's more than the raft cost new but it's reaching the end of its life. I think I'll do more shopping next time.

D-1

Well then, that's it. I did a bit of shopping for "durable" produce, baked a couple pizzas and filled a few water bottles. I'll keep an eye out for the latest surface charts and run a few routing with SailGrib. I tested the Iridium connection for email and Facebook and I guess the next update will be a racer report, which should get posted on race website.

If stepping off in Hawaii I feel like doing it again then I will have accomplished what I set out to do. And if not I will have accomplished what few do: shake off sedentary life for a while.

I feel a little sad that I will leave DE behind. I would have loved to pass the baton to someone else.

My last dinner was fish and chips :-)

And, no, I didn't install a disco ball ...

Hello Philippe,
    It was great to meet you and have a chance for (yet only) a brief chat as you were getting ready to launch DOULBLE EXPRESSO at Brickyard Cove Marina.
    I admire your long term focus, and especially appreciate how you have been willing to share it with all of us. I have no doubt that your race/voyage will be personally very rewarding.

All the best,
    Tom

I'm stunned. I don't know how long it's going to take for me to process the race; two things are certain: I didn't do it alone and it was a great year for an Olson 30!

Without the SSS this wouldn't have been possible. I'm very grateful that this community exists and for the sailing opportunities they provide. The RC has been very welcoming and professional. I'm very proud to be a tiny part of this community.

So:
    1. The boat suffered no damage thanks to a solid preparation by the previous owner Jason L.
    2. My sail plan for 95% of the time came recommended to me by Skip A: a poled out #2 and full main. Without this I would have been underpowered.
    3. Navigation to Point A was also Skip's handy work.
    4. Without Jim Q.'s advice to get a generator I would probably still be out there
    5. Skip A. again coached me on many aspects of the race.
    6. Brian B. provided much support and advice on a regular basis, appeasing my anxious mind.

And there were a lot of experienced sailors who helped me with advice: Bruce L., Rich F., Joe B., David H., Rob T., and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few while my brain remains foggy. The SSS resources were also very helpful: Andrew S.'s book, Stan H.'s weather advice as Skip A's weather advice.

As most racers' track show it was mostly a DDW run once I jibed away from the high. The wind was often above 15 kts, which worked really well for my sail plan. The Olson 30 just loved it and proved a wonderful, powerful vessel for this year's weather.

I am also acknowledging that Don on CRINAN II is the better sailor. If it wasn't for the numerous equipment failures he had to endure he would have won. I am amazed at the feat he pulled off by hand steering so much.

I feel very fortunate to have met so many wonderful people and to have been at the right place at the right time with the right boat and all the right advice. Thank you!

My part could be summarized as follows:
    1. Ask for advice, ask for advice, ask for advice ...
    2. Keep the boat light.
    3. Keep the bottom as smooth as possible.
    4. Stay super conservative to avoid damage.
    5. When things went wrong (wind hole at start, jib wrap, AP failures, battery charging with generator, ...) my main goal was to get the boat pointing in the right direction at the best speed possible ASAP.
    6. Constantly monitoring weather (Grib files, weather charts multiple times a day) and (not) adjusting course.
    7. Constantly monitoring wind angle and adjusting sails or heading to keep VMG up.
    8. Staying focused on the race all the way until the end (never give up).
    9. Taking care of myself: eat, drink, sleep, communicate, write things down.
    10. Keeping the boat in good shape through twice a day boat checks.
    11. Start in a very relaxed, happy state of mind.

It was hard, physically and mentally. I do think however that I have achieved my main goal: would I do this again? Yes! Not right away though and something else most likely.

It does take a lot of energy over a long time. For now I'm selling Double Espresso, giving her a new home in a wonderful place, where she will be sailed and loved. What happens next in terms of sailing? I don't know. I have a new job to start, a volunteer position to take over at my daughter's school PTA and a lot of stuff to sell.

Thank you (to everyone), thank you (for perfect weather for my circumstances), thank you (to myself of 2 years ago for embarking on this journey).

My track ...

Name:  Screenshot_20180714-172531.png
Views: 678
Size:  794.2 KB

I'm feeling empty as I wait here in Nawilili harbor for my flight tomorrow. I've moved in Double Espresso again, my temporary house for two nights.

What's your next boat? What are you going to do next? Two questions that circle the well worn tracks of my racy mind. I had plans before the race for sure. They feel very distant from my reality right now. Really, I just want to get home and spend time with my wife and daughter. Being a free electron zipping on the ocean was great; being part of a community of singlehanded sailors was empowering. As that chapter comes to a close I would like to lie down in my bed and count the boards in the ceiling.

Fall asleep, comfortably, softly.

Renewal ...

Oh boy, it sure feels good to be back home! I can already feel a desire to start a new project (aka adventure).

But first, anyone would have Joe B.'s contact info?

Next, I've mailed the pink slip to the Kauai Sailing Association. Last I've started putting stuff on Craigslist:

1. Solar charge controller: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/for...648602576.html
    2. 15A battery chargers (2): https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/for...648587226.html
    3. Ritchie bulkhead mount compass: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/bpo...648582205.html
    4. Olson 30 working jib (#3) laminate: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/bpo...648598399.html

Getting ready for the commute, work, commute, sleep, repeat routine ... darn!

Also if anyone is interested I have my track's files (fix every 10 seconds or so, minus the times I rebooted my phone) available to share (12 kml files).

I've tried to pick up some stats from the kml files. I'm not sure how accurate this is ...

1. Spent 4 hours in the wind hole;
    2. Second track, 24 hours, 210 nm at 8.8 kts;
    3. Third track, 24 hours, 195 nm at 8.1 kts;
    4. Fourth track, 24 hours, 182 nm at 7.6 kts;
    5. Fifth track, 24 hours, 183 nm at 7.6 kts;
    6. Sixth track, 24 hours, 186 nm at 7.7 kts;
    7. Seventh track, 24 hours, 199 nm at 8.3 kts;
    8. Eight track, 24 hours, 174 nm at 7.2 kts;
    9. Ninth track, 24 hours, 190 nm at 7.9 kts;
    10. Tenth track, 24 hours, 197 nm at 8.2 kts;
    11. Eleventh track, 24 hours, 190 nm at 7.9 kts;
    12. Twelfth track, 16.3 hours, 119 nm at 6.7 kts.

Max speed (this is averaged over a short period of time, i.e. not peak, 10 fix): 13.8 kts.