Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SF Bay Area SSB Chat Night

Carroll E in Berkeley will tune in on 4021 as well Thursday, June 19 @ 1900.

Thanks,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebesch View Post
    It would be good for me to jump in on this too but I won't be around on Thursday or Friday, any chance of a repeat on M-T-W July 7-8-9? As a minimum we should also run a test after the Thursday raft-up.

Jeff Lebesch / Hecla
    Monday the 7th is the next SHTP seminar, I believe, so that won't work but Tuesday the 8th would be good. Sunday the 6th would be even better since it gives folks a couple of days to fix something if it doesn't work. The 8th and 9th are getting pretty darned tight on time if someone has to fix anything significant with their setup.

Can you be here on Sunday the 6th?

Trying a test while we're all tied up in the CYC basin is better than nothing but it really doesn't mean much because we're so close together that ANY signal getting off the boat will be audible. Now, if someone wanted to fire up their SSB at their slip at a pre-set time on Friday the 10th, and they were berthed someplace at least a few miles away, that would be valuable.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

VALIS is the Pac Cup Comm boat this year, and we will be on the water this weekend for a shakedown -- including SSB radio checks. We are planning to do some sending and receiving starting around 11:00AM PDT Saturday (June 21). If you would like a radio check, try giving us a shout on 4A. We will be on S.F. Bay, or possibly just offshore by then.

-Paul Elliott
    S/V VALIS - WDB2898

Tonights chat was very useful.

Thanks to Bob on Ragtime for being the central check-point!

Alchera, Ragtime, Sparky, Caroll E and Ankle Biter all chimed in.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Yes, thanks to all.

Tom, Brian, John (if in the water), were you able to hear any of it?

I was able to hear Wildflower a bit and he could hear me well, down in Santa Cruz. I think anchoring out in the Bay helped a lot.

FWIW, I took apart the ground plane attachment to the keelbolt, wire-brushed everything and resprayed with (can't remember - anticorrosion goop) then put it back together with no washers between the copper and the nut on the keelbolt. It seemed to me that the most metal-to-metal contact is between the threads on the nut and the keelbolt itself. If the washers are uber-clean that's fine, but I think I have better contact putting the copper directly against the nut.

All voodoo science, that. The satphone comes next Thursday!

Hi All,

Sorry I didn't make it. Boat was still on the hard, and I was sleeping on a neighbors boat. I am back on board now and in the water but still haven't connected the lead to the insulated backstay. Sounds like you had good participation even without me.

John
    Dream Chaser

PS. 5:43 PM and still 95 degrees inside the cabin in Sausalito!! What gives???

Unfortunately I didn't get to listen in. I was on the road, driving to N. Cal.

- Tom Kirschbaum, Feral

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    Monday the 7th is the next SHTP seminar, I believe, so that won't work but Tuesday the 8th would be good. Sunday the 6th would be even better since it gives folks a couple of days to fix something if it doesn't work. The 8th and 9th are getting pretty darned tight on time if someone has to fix anything significant with their setup.

Can you be here on Sunday the 6th?
    Yes, I can manage Sunday. I will also try to get a professional to check over my system (proper dillegence for a comm boat). It worked great on the LongPac, but then we were never as far apart as we will be on this event.

Jeff / Hecla

I should be on board Sunday too and can participate now that I am back in the water.

John
    Dream Chaser

Any particular time you're taking about on Sunday? The RC plans to have a receiver in Hanalei so we can listen in at the evening tree gatherings. It would be good for us to test along with y'all.

Synthia/Eyrie
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image