Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Masthead navigation light: Are lights conforming to COLREGS Rule 25(c) disallowed?

I know this discussion on red-over-green mast lights is pretty well wrapped up, but I wanted to add a comment from someone else who's stood watch on a freighter. His opinion echoes mine.

Excerpted from www.sailnet.com > > Skills and Seamanship:

10.23.2013 posted by capta:
    I was on watch steaming south through the Anegada Passage one night some years back, wide awake and sober by the way, on a freighter. Bridge height about 60 feet. From the port bridge wing I saw a red or green light (I don't remember which) ahead, and it appeared to be a mile or more away. I walked into the bridge to check the radar and out of the corner of my eye saw that light pass close to the port bridge wing.

I ran out and saw about a 40' sailing boat under full sail sliding aft no more than 10 feet from the ship! I had already completed a circumnavigation under sail and numerous transAts and transPacs before this, so I was an experienced sailor and would not ignore a sailboat's lights or take them lightly. Ever since that night I have been passionately against masthead tricolor and consider them to be incredibly dangerous. A single colored or white disembodied light gives absolutely No depth/distance perception and no light at all shines on the water, boat or sails. Several times on Long Island Sound, I have had other boats masthead running lights obscured by my bimini and thought the guy an idiot, sailing unlit!

You can do as you please, but nothing on earth would ever convince me to sail under one.

I sailed into the Gate about a week ago, and while in the channel just west of the GG bridge, I saw a single white light hanging in space. I thought: "He's in shallow water. That must be an anchor light." Then, as I passed the sailboat (I actually pass boats on rare occasions), the light turned green. "Nope! He's underway, and it's another one of those confusing tri-colors!" Viewed from astern, there is no way to distinguish an anchor light from a stern light.
    Last edited by pbryant; 03-29-2016 at 01:26 PM.