Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Masthead navigation light: Are lights conforming to COLREGS Rule 25(c) disallowed?

I guess we're doing it. On Inland Waters a white strobe is a distress signal and is not permitted otherwise. Outside it has no specific meaning except when they can't see you. Then it's: "We can't see you." "Okay, (turning on strobe) can you see THIS?" "Yes, we see you now."

A yellow strobe is a submarine surfacing. Sometimes it feels like that in the GOF but we can't use a yellow strobe to signal it.
    Last edited by BobJ; 02-21-2016 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Stick around pb - we haven't had the biennial argument about strobes yet!

Harrier, it evolved in 2010 or 2012 (my R/C years) to needing to have something at the masthead besides Greg's inflatable doll. It could be a strobe or a tricolor. Apparently they've settled on a tricolor.
    That's bad luck for me. I already have a strobe at the masthead. I'm considering mounting a red all-round atop an LED tricolor so I can flip a "Rule 25(b)/25(c)" switch and have either red-over-green with deck nav lights, or just the tricolor.

In either configuration, I have antennas and a wind instrument sensor that will block either the tricolor or the red all-around over more degrees of arc than a sail could ever block the green lights below on the mast. And I bet that situation exists on everyone's boat -- unless someone has elevated their tricolor on a pedestal that's higher than their windex/wind sensor and large-diameter tuning coil at the base of their VHF antenna. That's one other reason why I prefer the 25(c) configuration which permits running the nav lights on deck along with the red-over-green all-arounds. Built-in recognition redundancy. But... if I've got a switch then maybe I'll label it: "pass SHTP inspection / run safely." How dull would life be without a little absurdity?
    Last edited by pbryant; 02-21-2016 at 07:36 PM.

Changing what is already at my masthead (strobe per previous SHTP requirements) is a giant pain in the ass which I don't need! And I figure on making it to Hanalei without a tricolor.....I have converted my nav lites to LEDs some time ago and truly understand the savings in power consumptions. Thanks for the advice tho....

I think this scenario fits a waiver request but I'm not even the hired help. Brian and George work in the "thick carpet" end of the building.

They're going to need a raise - I suggest 10%.

In Pac Cup 2014, while drifting around the first night, west of the Farralones, I could see almost all of the boats that started the same day as us. 15 or so. Every boat had a tri-color and were easily visible. Luna Sea brand seem to be the brightest.

Personally, I don't like the light pollution of deck level running lights.
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Bermuda 1-2 on a Schumacher 28

By the way, since vessels up to 70 feet can enter the race, there will be some very unhappy skippers of any vessels 20 meters (65.6 feet) and longer because tricolor lights are disallowed on vessels 20 meters in length and up (Rule 25(b)). For those larger vessels, the only option for lights aloft on the mast is exactly what I have now: red-over-green. Those skippers will have a conflict between safety and legality versus the racing rules by being forced to violate the 20 meter limitation in COLREGs 25(b). If those who wrote the rules wish to require lights aloft on all vessels (a worthy goal) while remaining within compliance with COLREGs, then either the racing rules need to be revised to disallow vessels 20 meters and up, or the tricolor requirement needs to be revised to permit red-over-green lights conforming to rule 25(c).
    Last edited by pbryant; 02-22-2016 at 01:51 PM.

I've thought this over. I considered sailing in the 2014 race, until economic necessity prevented it. Back then, I added a strobe to my masthead since - besides being required by the race rules - it seemed like a good safety enhancement. I installed an FAA TSO'd light that works well yet weighs very little. Now, I'm supposed to add a tri-color light there too for 2016? Where does this end?

Since I steadfastly believe my red-over-green configuration is safer than a tri-color, that means I won't remove the lights I have - and I will just have to add yet another light to my masthead to conform. It's getting to the point where, I'd have so much stuff up top that I might as well tie an anvil to the masthead. This seems like a case of mindless conformity - especially since there are boats of such size that could enter the race where a tri-color light violates COLREGs (see my previous post), and yet, the legal option of a red-over-green configuration isn't accommodated in the rules. It's this simple: if 70 foot boats can enter, then this rule is wrong. I also feel for the people who installed a strobe, and now have to reconfigure.

I have a rule: when people start to conform to things that aren't well thought out in terms of legality or safety - I speak up - and then leave the party. I'll keep an eye on the race rules, but if they remain unmodified on this point - I'm out. I can't afford to put time and resources into the race on the mere speculation that I might get a waiver for a configuration that's safe and legal.
    Last edited by pbryant; 03-01-2016 at 05:55 PM.

As an inspector and former SHTP Race Chair, I think I was pretty clear that you would likely qualify for a waiver. If you don't really want to do the race, cool, but don't blame it on the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    As an inspector and former SHTP Race Chair, I think I was pretty clear that you would likely qualify for a waiver. If you don't really want to do the race, cool, but don't blame it on the rules.
    I wasn't aware of your status. Sorry if I didn't recognize your name. I'm kinda new here. OK. A waiver would solve my problem. But how do I find out if I qualify? Pay all the fees, rent/buy a liferaft, attend the courses (involving unpaid time off for me), arrange for several weeks of unpaid leave... and then possibly find out on race day that my vessel is disqualified because my lights conform to the more difficult requirements of a vessel 20 meters or larger? Seems like quite a gamble. I asked before what the process was to get a waiver, and I believe the answer was there is no process. I'm not blaming the rules, but in that case, they do seem a little odd to me. What do I have to do? I haven't gotten an answer to that question - or at least one that I comprehend. Pour out libations to Poseidon asking for dispensation? I just don't know! I'm just asking for a straight answer. Maybe it's a tribal/cultural thing I'm not getting, some answer between the lines that I'm not reading. I'm really in the dark here. Maybe you assume I'm smarter than I really am.

If I didn't want to do the race, I wouldn't be here, and I wouldn't have spent the last two years preparing my boat for it. It's the conditions that I have a problem with.

I do feel my enthusiasm deflating by the minute over what looks a lot like bureaucracy. The worst kind - one where there isn't even a form to fill out. Maybe I really don't want to do the race. You're doing a good job of convincing me. Gotta think about that...
    Last edited by pbryant; 03-01-2016 at 11:37 PM.

Hello PByrant,

We will grant a waiver for the vertical lighting as it is in full compliance with COLREGS. I apologize our bureaucracy has none of the paper trappings usually found within a bureaucratic establishment. The only excuse is we are a group of volunteers with many other projects in flight.

Regards,
    Brian Boschma