Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I have decided to buy a life raft..am I nuts?

The secret is knowing what to buy first....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFtnNn4qYtg

Quote Originally Posted by mike cunningham View Post
    I was going to buy a used - well pre-owned- Revere Offshore Commander. At the last minute I had another look at the equipment requirements and saw that the requirement reads

"A boat shall carry an inflatable life raft designed for saving life at sea with designed capacity for containing the entire crew. The raft shall
    be SOLAS, ISAF, ISO 9650-1 or ORC approved
    . The raft shall be stored in such a way that it can be brought to the lifelines within 15
    seconds. The life raft may be stowed in a deck mounted rigid container, stowed in a watertight or self-draining purpose-built rigid
    compartment opening adjacent to the cockpit or the working deck, or stowed in a valise not weighing over 88 lbs. secured below deck
    and adjacent to the companionway. The life raft shall hold a current certificate of inspection."

I saw no mention of any of the approvals on the Revere website and subsequently called them. To their credit they were very responsive but did confirm their rafts are recreation only and no approvals. As I read the rules you have to have at least one of the ones mentioned. The Viking I am considering has the ISO 9650-1. I have no idea if any inspectors will be anal enough to actually check this technicality. But it would suck to have an expensive raft and find out it did not meet the requirements.
    shoot - I am literally going to be broke.

I have a Revere that is approved. I think it is an offshore model. I would call them and double check.

Quote Originally Posted by jakmang View Post
    I have a Revere that is approved. I think it is an offshore model. I would call them and double check.
    Thanks - I know the elite (more expensive model) says it has 'approved pyrotechnics' but it doesn't specify on their site if the raft its self is approved. I will give them a call and try to figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by bizirka View Post
    Thanks - I know the elite (more expensive model) says it has 'approved pyrotechnics' but it doesn't specify on their site if the raft its self is approved. I will give them a call and try to figure it out.
    That is the key. Somewhere on the manufacturers website you need to see the word "approved" Take a screenshot and tape it to the raft so the inspector can see it. That's a great idea!!

You just saved me $1500. I love this forum.

Oops! I just read the race requirements. The life raft doesn't have to be SOLAS, ISAF etc....Did I miss something? So in order to qualify for this years' race, Harrier would only have to add a tricolor at the masthead....all academic tho. It is another hoop!

Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    Oops! I just read the race requirements. The life raft doesn't have to be SOLAS, ISAF etc....Did I miss something? So in order to qualify for this years' race, Harrier would only have to add a tricolor at the masthead....all academic tho. It is another hoop!
    Aargh!! I went to look at the SHTP equipment requirements and sure enough, they do not include the raft approval requirements which were contained in the equipment requirements reference for the LongPac (2015 LongPac Minimum Equipment Requirements (LPMER)).

Ye gads, this is worse than taxes. I guess I could go for the less expensive raft so long as they don't change back for the next LongPac. Although I doubt anyone is checking.

Sorry, I assumed SHTP and LongPac raft requirements would be identical. I take back everything I said about approvals.

Quote Originally Posted by mike cunningham View Post
    Aargh!! I went to look at the SHTP equipment requirements and sure enough, they do not include the raft approval requirements which were contained in the equipment requirements reference for the LongPac (2015 LongPac Minimum Equipment Requirements (LPMER)).

Ye gads, this is worse than taxes. I guess I could go for the less expensive raft so long as they don't change back for the next LongPac. Although I doubt anyone is checking.

Sorry, I assumed SHTP and LongPac raft requirements would be identical. I take back everything I said about approvals.
    hallelujah! To be clear - is it a-okay to have the pyrotechnics in a ditchbag vs packed into the liferaft?

Always has been....

Quote Originally Posted by bizirka View Post
    To be clear - is it a-okay to have the pyrotechnics in a ditchbag vs packed into the liferaft?
    It's actually preferred to have them in the ditch bag (assuming you aren't talking about the ones we used to put in people's mailboxes.)