Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Corinthian Race Buzzzzzz

Default Corinthian Race Buzzzzzz

To get some discussion going on the Corinthian Race coming up March 19, here's a Thread for posting.

1035 Slack / 1419 Max Ebb 3.4 knots / 1821 Slack.

The Corinthian Race is a good intro to SSS in-bay racing. I hope SSS folks talk it up with racing friends who might want to dip their keel in the water, so to speak, and try an SSS race out.

I've heard of that Max Ebb guy, but we have to wear different slacks for morning and evening? That Corinthian must be a nice club.

The Corinthian was less then hospitable to SSS boats after last year's outing. DIANNE will be racing and would enjoy pulling in after the race for a refreshment. SDK

When I suggest the Corinthian Race is a good one for new SSS racers, I'm not thinking so much about the post-race social activities. I'm more thinking about the course and how it's often kind to new singlehanders, especially this year on the Blossom to Blackaller leg which will be on the Ebb, making short tacking down the City Front unnecessary.

Over the past few years we've had around 120 boats sign up for the Corinthian Race. With some promotion I'd think we could attract more, especially after the large number of 3-Bridge boats.

I don't think there's a large social gathering following the only other "in bay" race -- the Round the Rocks. I think some boats drop in at the BYC, but how many?

There used to be a big gathering at the OYC when the East Bay race finished there, partly because you were "there" when you finished. The same is true for the Vallejo 1-2 since we're all "there" at the end of the day.

If the SSS wants a social hour following an in bay race, I suggest figuring out a way of finishing at the Richmond YC for instance. They have room and are usually hospitable.

Just some thoughts. -- Pat

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I've heard of that Max Ebb guy, but we have to wear different slacks for morning and evening? That Corinthian must be a nice club.
    Hey BobJ, I am new here and it seems that the sailing on the Bay is a lot more formal than I was used to in SoCal - do I need to wear a Jacket along with the Slacks to be allowed into the club?Name:  2016-02-23 11_28_17-Homage paid to Alex Thomson's _keel walk_.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  37.7 KB

I've always found the Corinthian the closest thing the SSS has to a W.L. triangle buoy race, with lots of mark rounding!! Additional attractions are multiple transitions between wind zones, then deciding which tack Angel Island is on this year.

No big thing about not pulling in to CYC. I enjoy the Corinthian Race. And plenty of SSS boats sail out of RYC and Brickyard that we have a fine jolly-i-facation there. Sailing on the ebb between two slacks should be just fine. Just get to Blossom before ebb really kicks and no short tacking along the City Front. With the hope of a westerly in the main bay the ebb will add time to the spinn run to Southhampton hole. And then a quick beat choosing the way to go around Angel to Little Harding. However, it will be tricky getting from Little Harding to the finish. Keep an eye on the boats that sail out of CYC and SFYC to see how they play the course there. Ron and Oliver in Abigail Morgan know how to play it close to Pt Know and Pt Stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry D View Post
    Hey BobJ, I am new here and it seems that the sailing on the Bay is a lot more formal than I was used to in SoCal - do I need to wear a Jacket along with the Slacks to be allowed into the club?
    Henry, if I had a canter I'd totally try that! (Sure I would.) Nah, I think I'll wear my usual dungarees into the Corinthian and see what happens. I wonder if Gamayan is going to hotwire her engine again. And Chris, Angel Island had rights on me last year. I cut it a little close and found the snag off of Point Knox (R/C called the short course last year).

Steve, the trick is to let DURA MATER or KYNNTANA go in first and work their magic, then raft up on one of them. Worked for me.
    Last edited by BobJ; 02-24-2016 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by P. Broderick - Elaine View Post
    If the SSS wants a social hour following an in bay race, I suggest figuring out a way of finishing at the Richmond YC for instance. They have room and are usually hospitable.
    Richmond YC is indeed very hospitable and their members are especially good-looking. However this season, a major renovation of their clubhouse is causing them to turn down some requests. The last I heard, Round the Rocks won't be finishing there. I'm not sure about OYRA's Jr. Waterhouse either.

For Phil (if he sees this) - Apparently the master electrical panel was installed upside-down many years ago. Things like that are what led to starting the renovation, and from there it took on a life of its own. The existing building is presently just a shell.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Richmond YC is indeed very hospitable and their members are especially good-looking. However this season, a major renovation of their clubhouse is causing them to turn down some requests. The last I heard, Round the Rocks won't be finishing there.
    RC is working with RYC on the RtR finish...I feel confidant SSS can finish at the RYC race deck it is just the party time after the race that is in question...Stay tuned... as RC and a RYC member if the clubhouse is completed we will work hard to coordinate a great after race party...