Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Corinthian Race Buzzzzzz

The SSS Culture of allowing for challenges while shorthanding is why I didn't mention the late-starting port tack nonspin boat who was struggling to avoid getting hit in the melee at the Start. Bad choice to be there. He was attempting to get his boat tacked onto starboard - but he was pretty much blanketed from enough wind to do it. I think all of us who've sailed lots of SSS races have either "been there" or accommodated someone who is "there."

I think the large boat involved with our boat retired, because at Southampton I saw it off to the east with its jib down. Motoring?

I had a really great day on the water yesterday. The in the bay SSS races are ideal for me and I am very thankful to have the opportunity to participate.

I race a big cruising boat because thats the boat I have. I often single hand her in non race situations but quite frankly I'm afraid of single handing a boat that big in close traffic, so I race double handed. I am very happy that there is a class that accommodates me

Thankfully, I managed to stay well to the outside of the melee yesterday.

Nice race. Thanks for the discussion and hospitality!
    Name:  sss cyc rc compressed.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  123.9 KB

SSS Corinthian 2016

thanks to SSS and Race deck

photos: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...hFeUs3ODU1WnlR

Larry Baskin

Bullet Express 37

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lbaskim View Post
    SSS Corinthian 2016

thanks to SSS and Race deck

photos: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...hFeUs3ODU1WnlR

Larry Baskin

Bullet Express 37
    Nice photos Larry

Quote Originally Posted by lbaskim View Post
    SSS Corinthian 2016 thanks to SSS and Race deck
    photos: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...hFeUs3ODU1WnlR Larry Baskin Bullet Express 37
    Beautifully framed shots. Thank you!

Sorry to hear about all the carnage out there

I had a great day.

Aside from a spinnaker wrap while heading for Pt Stuart which left the halyard so fouled I couldn't get it sorted till later.

A beautiful day for sailing. I am sorry to hear of the carnage too. As I was sailing form Little Harding to Blossom Rock it looked like I-5 on a Friday Night going to LA. It was a foregone conclusion that there would be problems at Blossom, especially with the ebb running. An idea that has been discussed a few times is having the fast boats start first. And giving large one design fleets their own start. I understand all the arguments against these ideas. But as we have more and more racers from very competitive fleets join the SSS races, I think that we have to adapt. Changing some of our practices may help, as well as figuring out how to remind everyone that sailing single or double-handed requires being a bit more conservative. No one has the eyes to watch and the hands to do everything that you can do as quickly or as well on a fully crewed boat. Glad it sounds like no one was hurt.

Preliminary results are posted...Sorry for the delay...RC needed to review the Video and without a zoom lens I am now seeing cross eyed...