Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Corinthian Race Buzzzzzz

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Steve, the trick is to let DURA MATER or KYNNTANA go in first and work their magic, then raft up on one of them. Worked for me.
    Yeah, good luck with that. I head over to CYC from time to time and even if it's just for an hour or two, they are serious sticklers for my current year yacht club badge. They also want reservations made early if you come for Sunday brunch though there always seems to be plenty of room and food. In early February, when I didn't have my new badge yet, I had to get the HMBYC office to write a letter saying I was a member in good standing. When a group of us went over there on Father's Day last year, they said there was no way they'd have room for us to eat. When we arrive, maybe 4 tables were taken up. I love the place and they're all super friendly when you're there, but it's curious why management is so overly difficult with visitors.

Well said there, Gamayun. I find the people to be very friendly, the management very difficult. I love the clubhouse exploring the old pictures of Tiburon when it was a railyard. Might try to stop in after the Corinthian race, might not.

Regarding their harbor, I kinda get it. We're able to handle our boats fairly well (around their members' boats) and we're arriving because we just ran a race off their deck, but we look an awful lot like a bunch of boats on a cruise-out to Sam's. Located where they are, I'm sure it's a tenuous relationship. The staff is charged to protect the place from the riff-raff and like any yacht club staff, they catch holy hell from some members if they bend the rules. We just have to be on our best behavior:

Corinthian Yacht Club visitor information.

Yes, no ball caps or phone use inside the club! Which I can appreciate, but I'm old school. At HMBYC, we try very hard to keep wet dogs from shaking inside the club. At least they keep the spilled popcorn cleaned up Different worlds...

Regarding the race, I'm thinking counter-clockwise this year.

According to Peter Hogg, "Historically the Corinthian / SSS race was started with the specific intention of the SSS racers congregating at CYC after the race." So, at his suggestion I called John, the manager of the Corinthian. John looked at the calendar, saw no Cruise-In scheduled and said that sailors are welcome to stop in for a beer after the race. Remember that, because of liquor laws, we cannot raft up and then sit around drinking our own beer or rum (David) on our boats. As I recall, the Corinthian bar cannot take cash, but only credit cards. Dura Mater will be in attendance, though, and she does take cash of any denomination, even those pesky 500 euro notes that are dissed in Europe.

And just what "services" might Dura Mater be charging 500 euros for? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by P. Broderick - Elaine View Post
    And just what "services" might Dura Mater be charging 500 euros for? ;-)
    That would be an appreciation fee. At the Berkeley Marine Center, whenever I take DM in for service I am charged a "Jackie surcharge" by Carl, the yard manager. I am still learning about appropriate billing practices. If you would like to pay more than 500 euros you are welcome to do so.

Five doublehanded Express 27 now signed up and approved!

That's Great! ! ! ! Anytime the E 27s have a one-design division is a good time for the other boats clustered in the mid-120 PHRF region. Now can you work on getting a few more E 27s enrolled in the OYRA & other ocean races shorthanded divisions? I'd almost subsidize a few entries.