Thread: Dr. Peter Strykers has passed away

Default Dr. Peter Strykers has passed away

Dr. Peter Strykers passed away Feb. 18. Dr. Strykers sailed the 1986 SSS Transpac in his 40-foot ketch "Alistelle." It was a 21-day adventure, complete with his favorite harpsichord that he carried in the main cabin and played while sailing the race. Following the race Peter wrote a book, "The Floating Harpsichord: One Sailor's Log and Manuals for Solo-Sailing and Solo-Medicine" about his adventures and included an extensive section of "solo-medicine" for singlehand ocean racers. It includes medical preparation, self-treatment, and a list of medicines and medical supplies. William F. Buckley, a sailor himself, wrote a very complimentary note that appears on the dust jacket.

Peter also researched why many North Pacific sea mounts are named after famous classical composers. The electronics section of his book is out-of-date, but his medical information remains relevant.

Peter was an excellent musician, founding the Philharmonia Baroque Orchestra and presenting harpsichord recitals. By his own admission he was not quite as good a sailor.

For several "Transpac cycles" following his race and book, the SSS invited him to come to the Transpac Seminars where he shared his medical knowledge and distributed lists of recommended medicines and supplies. His obituary is in this past Sunday's SF Chronicle.

What an interesting fellow he must have been. Condolences to his family and friends.

I'd also like to know what he found about the seamounts. There seems to be little information that's not related to just their geology. This was pretty much the extent of it on the Musicians Seamounts north of Hawaii: http://www.svsilhouette.com/2014/05/...musicians.html

I have Dr Strykker's book The Floating Harpsichord. If anyone would like to read it as they sail to Hanalei or back, let me know and I will deliver it.