Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Transport...

Default Transport...

Dear all,

I know we have talked about it in previous threads, but can't find the information anymore.

It would be great if we could get a better understanding of the transport situation/agreement with the shipping company, for those who intend to ship their boats back:

- which shipping company is partnering up with the SHTP? Pasha or Matson?
    - what is the contact information of the person we should talk to at the selected shipping company?
    - where do we drop off our trailers?
    - where will we be able to haul our boats out of the water in Kauaii?
    - where are boats and trailer being shipped back? My understanding is that it could be done in Los Angeles as well (for those who are outside the bay).

Also, in 2012, a crate was shipped with additional materials and outboard motors. Any ideas on this point?

Thanks a lot,

Jerome
    biohazard

I guess i found some information, if indeed the SHTP gets the same deal than Pac Cup:

https://www.pacificcup.org/kb/ship-pasha-2016

Hi Jerome -
    to my knowledge the "same deal as Pac Cup" applied to Matson only, and predates the new sponsorship arrangement between Pac Cup and Pasha.
    You'll have to ask the committee, but to my knowledge there is no standing shipping sponsorship with SHTP and either company.
    Also, to my knowledge, Pasha does not service the outer islands... I could be mistaken though.
    I did have a conversation with Matson some months ago in which they said that they could ship a boat to LA, but it would be cross loaded in Oahu.
    there is direct service to Oakland with Matson

re haul out in Kauaii; This has taken place in Nahwiliwili, and is accomplished with Larry Coklin's crane [which is the one-&-only crane on the island].
    there are NO haul out facilities on Kauai.

DH

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Hi Jerome -
    to my knowledge the "same deal as Pac Cup" applied to Matson only, and predates the new sponsorship arrangement between Pac Cup and Pasha.
    You'll have to ask the committee, but to my knowledge there is no standing shipping sponsorship with SHTP and either company.
    Also, to my knowledge, Pasha does not service the outer islands... I could be mistaken though.
    I did have a conversation with Matson some months ago in which they said that they could ship a boat to LA, but it would be cross loaded in Oahu.
    there is direct service to Oakland with Matson

re haul out in Kauaii; This has taken place in Nahwiliwili, and is accomplished with Larry Coklin's crane [which is the one-&-only crane on the island].
    there are NO haul out facilities on Kauai.

DH
    Does it make sense to arrange this as a group of skippers that are planning to ship back?
    It would be great to have a skippers meeting once a month to discuss these topics.
    The seminars are great but there are many other folks there as well. It would be nice to have a dedicated skippers meeting. I'm happy to host....

Dirk "TIJD" - First 30JK

Quote Originally Posted by dhusselman View Post
    Does it make sense to arrange this as a group of skippers that are planning to ship back?
    It would be great to have a skippers meeting once a month to discuss these topics.
    The seminars are great but there are many other folks there as well. It would be nice to have a dedicated skippers meeting. I'm happy to host....

Dirk "TIJD" - First 30JK
    Perhaps so. As a novitiate, I would greatly profit from meeting those more experienced in a concentrated setting.

Also, I would like to ship some non-racing luxury items over so that they could be available for the delivery back to the mainland. So, does it make sense to share a shipping container?

Signed,
    The Who from the s/v Owl

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

I was not at the February meeting seminar meeting for "The Return Trip" and it seems like we do not have any presentation material, though I heard that someone recorded video and might post it to YouTube.

In past years, smaller boats that already owned their own trailers were able to get the trailers to Kauai, haul with the crane (the only crane) and de-rig themselves, and then were able to get the boats sent home from there. I know TAZ and other Express 27s and Moores have done this, relatively painlessly. I know that Outsider one year had to sail from Kauai to Oahu, which is a pretty tough beat, in order to load at Keehi Marine in Oahu.

If you have a bigger boat and need the yard to de-rig/load, need to rent a trailer and get it over there, etc. etc. this can be very expensive. Rates at Keehi for everything are very high. And then putting the boat back together once in California is also a big yard task. The actual fee to Matson for shipping is only part of the expense. One thing that Matson has done in the past is that they do not include the length of the mast in calculating the overall load volume, and it is not part of the very strict limit on size -- particularly loaded height. My boat has high topsides, and on a trailer I think it barely made the 15' max limit for RoRo.

What Pogen says is all, to my knowledge, accurate.
    I would add that there is a limit to what Larry's crane can pick. I Have a call in to him about what it is, but from memory I believe its 6000 lbs.

In the past, the Matson "deal" that mirrored the Pac Cup boiled down to free outbound shipping of the empty trailers.
    Again, no knowledge if that will be the case this year.

I agree with Dirk that the shipping / logistics questions would benefit from a more focused group than we seem to have time for at the seminars.
    If nothing else, I think it would help to distill what peoples needs and expectations are and perhaps designate a few people to deal with some specific research items [eg calling Matson, the crate, etc] in order to avoid a lot of duplicated effort.

This is just my .02, but the history of the race favors self sufficiency, and I don't see that burdening the committee with the needs of a sub-set [in which I may include myself] that wants/ needs additional support is legit.

DH

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Matson charges by the cubic foot -- literally, max width X height X length, including your bow pulpit, anything hanging off the back, the tongue of the trailer, etc. So having your mast length not included is actually a big deal -- be sure to ask in advance.

Here is some contact info from 2012, shipping Oahu >> SF

Date: Thu, September 06, 2012 4:29 pm
    To: "Tony Souza at PHX x5119" <tsouza@matson.com>,

David,

Here are the dims: 51’ L x 9’ 3” W x 14’ 5” H.

Please let us know who you want to release this to.
    Mahalo,
    Tony Souza
    Matson Navigation Company
    Conventional Group Team Lead
    888-362-8766 (ext) 5119
    480-736-9589 (fax)
    Conventional@Matson.com
    www.Matson.com

meetings are great...but what about us outside san francisco?

Default Transport: GROUP EFFORT

ladies, gentlemen,

I am swamped, but I believe we will only benefit from a group effort for logistics.

I have worked with Pasha since 2012. Never had an issue and I have been lucky to talk to the same person for the past 4 years.

I volunteer to gather the information and deal with PASHA for those who want to use their services.

If you do, email me the following information by the end of the week.

See below a Dropbox link with two documents which i was asked to fill in in 2012 and 2013 (race from los angeles). They may have changed, but that's a start. One document is to gather the information of your trailer, empty for the westbound voyage. The other document is boat on trailer, for the eastbound voyage.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uwirp3i54...OqypW11_a?dl=0

I talked to Pasha a few months ago and the deal is same as pac cup.

I am happy to help but won't wait past Monday March 21st to submit the information to Pasha so please be kind to email me the 2 forms completed to jerome@sailutionsusa.com

ps: if you want to ship anything else to hawaii, please describe in your email with dimensions (outboard for example).

Thanks

jerome