Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Transport...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
    meetings are great...but what about us outside san francisco?
    Jerome,

Happy to host the meeting and setup video conference for remote folks.

Does that work?

Thanks,

Dirk

sounds great...

I am still going to confirm shipping for my boat (and another guy in so. cal.) on monday with Pasha...I just don't want to wait last second to do it.

Cheers
    jerome

Pasha doesn't ship to NorCal as far as I can remember. Matson is easy..... price included the trailer shipping over. Trailer drop is in Oakland. The barge in Kauai is a newer development and costs extra for the barge ride to Oahu and the crane.

You need to have the boat well strapped down..... by the time I hit the inspection for the 3rd time I had over 50k lbs in straps holding the boat onto the trailer. I also had to "box" in the keel which consisted of 4x6 beams bolted to the keel tray.

Pasha's deal with Pacific Cup YC includes trucking to Oakland. At $15 X Beam X Boat LOA, it's a better rate than Matson has been. Therefore I respectfully disagree that this is the individual skippers' deal to negotiate. If the SSS can get Pasha to extend the Pacific Cup deal to the SHTP fleet it would be a big benefit.

Regarding barging from Nawiliwili to Honolulu, my recollection was it added $500 per boat, but that was with Matson. I assume if you're shipping to the mainland with Pasha a change in terminals would be required in Honolulu (from Matson's to Pasha's). That could change all the numbers.

Having sailed from Hanalei to Honolulu on my 5,500# boat, I would do that again if I could get the Pasha shipping rate back to Oakland (you do like to sail, right?) Unless of course Matson sweetens its deal to match Pasha's. IMO, one of the Kahunas needs to work this out on behalf of the fleet.
    Last edited by BobJ; 03-17-2016 at 12:30 PM.

I just called Matson. They were helpful although the lady I talked to said they didn't have the preferred "racing" rate entered in the system yet. She asked me to call back in 2 hours to check again. I will post whatever I found on the forum for everyone's information.

OK - I called Matson and spoke with Rachel to start the conversation;
    she is routing an inquiry to their pricing people for confirmation, but preliminary indication is that the previous "deal" will apply - eg Free Transport of empty trailer to Nawiliwili return will be cube of the boat and trailer, excluding the mast.

Outbound Route is OAK [or LB]-Oahu-Nawiliwili
    Return is the same, the pivot point being Oahu

SO- for the SoCal contingent - the answer is yes, you could drive a boat up to the bay area, put in at Alameda, consign the trailer to Matson in Oakland and ship it to Kauai, then return Boat and Trailer to Long Beach

Dimensional Restrictions for Matson - 14.5' Height [including the trailer wheels], 13' width

I also discussed Sailing schedules with Rachel - this info is preliminary, as they are not officially posted yet, but probably true within a day or so.
    Relevant outbound Sailings from OAK - 6/17 & 7/1 - it is a total of 2 weeks transit time; trailers would arrive Nawiliwili on 7/1 & 7/15 respectively

I also spoke with Larry Conklin who has been speaking with George and Brian
    There is a plan to coordinate a sail around the island from Hanallei to Nawiliwili on the 22nd or 23rd; Awards Ceremony would be the Evening of the 23rd at Nawiliwili YC.
    Boats to de-rig and pull on the 23rd-24th and be consigned to the Matson yard in Nawiliwili.
    He reports that George and him are coordinating an info sheet regarding what his crane can and cannot do [and other details] that should be out shortly.

Return -
    Next available outbound barge to Oahu is 7/29, then sailing from Oahu to OAK on 8/5 and LA on 8/6. Boats presumably available on 8/12 in both locations.

@ Jerome - I would be curious what Pasha has to say... to my knowledge they have no office on Kauai, where as there is a Large Matson yard at the port.

I will update with actual rates when I hear back from Matson.

hope that helps

DH

EDIT, was writing this as Jerome was posting... sounds like we need a coordination meeting, but its good to have the confimation
    EDIT EDIT - and just refreshed to read Bob's post - OK, I'm out
    Last edited by DaveH; 03-17-2016 at 02:36 PM.

That's great Dave. Maybe you are the SSS Shipping Kahuna and don't know it!

for what it's worth, I sailed my Moore 24 US 101 to Oahu (twice, actually) after the SHTP 2012 and shipped back on Matson. They honored the Pac Cup deal and I was able to ship my trailer to hawai'i for free and ship the boat home for about $2,800 or 3 grand. They were pretty good to work with. the main reason i went Matson instead of Pasha was because Pasha only shipped to So Cal, if i recall correctly. they quoted me slightly less money, but with Matson shipping back to Oakland, so close to Alameda, it was just a no brainer for me to go with Matson.

I've seen people launch fairly large boats at boat ramps here in Hawaii. Moore 24's and Express 27's, with their sub-5' draft should be able to get around paying for a crane, no? I don't know, i've never ramp-launched a sailboat with only one hull and a keel, but i would think it would be pretty do able.

aloha

ronnie

EDIT: When I checked in 2012 with Pasha, they were also helpful on the phone and agreed to honor the Pac Cup deal.... also, i agree with Bob, i've crossed the Kauai Channel upwind (and down) a number of times. It's really not that bad... Just reef her deep and leave from Hanalei so you have more room to fall off. By the time you're really hating life, you start getting into the lee of Barber's Point and can enjoy a morning coffee before drinks and lunch at the YC.

EDIT #2: The Kauai Channel race should be just a couple weeks after the SHTP awards. In 2012, I sailed 101 upwind to Oahu and then raced back downwind to Nawiliwili before sailing back to oahu again and shipping the Moore home. Racing in the Kauai Channel race was one of the best and most memorable experiences I ever had with the boat and I would very highly recommend it. I am always shocked that no one stays around to do any real sailing or racing once they are here. This place rocks.
    Last edited by ronnie simpson; 03-17-2016 at 03:34 PM.

I am always shocked that no one stays around to do any real sailing or racing once they are here.
    That sounds like a great race! Most competitors have a hard enough time getting time off just to do the race and for the same reason many who want to sail home can't justify the extra weeks off.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    That's great Dave. Maybe you are the SSS Shipping Kahuna and don't know it!
    as tempted as I am to reply with the W.T. Sherman quote here (if nominated I will not accept, etc) , I do have some relevant updates from Matson.

Rachel confirmed that the previous arrangements as stated above will apply; eg, rates include outbound trailer transport from OAK, and return with loaded boat.

Measurement of return load excludes mast, but does include the total foot print of boat and trailer [eg, if your trailer tongue extends past your bow, that will be part of the measurement]

Rate is $75 per Measured Ton.
    One Measured Ton=40 cubic feet.
    formula: Length [in feet] x Width [in feet] x Height [in feet]= Load in Cubic Feet / 40= Measured Tons x$75 = estimated cost.

So for my 30'x8.5' boat that sits 11.5' tall on the trailer the math is; 30*8.5*11.5=2932.5 cu ft./40=73.3125 measured tons*$75=$5498

Larry charges $500/boat to pull the mast with the crane, and picking the boat from water to trailer.
    you do not need a single point rig, he has a set of spreaders and slings.

OK, that's what I know about shipping from Kauai.

I don't really have any idea if the Pasha Sponsorship for Pac Cup could or would be extended to SHTP boats, who would be essentially 2 weeks earlier.
    I do think that there are some hidden gotcha's on the straight up rate comparison, most notable cost of getting the trailer from / to Kauai; or if sailing to Oahu, the logistics of picking it up and storing the trailer in Oahu while you are at sea.

That's what I know, for now... most else is speculation.

Best,

DH
    Last edited by DaveH; 03-21-2016 at 03:17 PM.