Thread: Belt Buckles

Default Belt Buckles

Should belt buckles be awarded to all skippers that make it to Hanalei Bay or only those that complete the race?

Should belt buckles be available for sale to previous racers that competed before the tradition of awarding belt buckles began?

your race chair
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image

#1 On the front page it says "only one way to earn one of these" I always took that to mean complete the race.

#2 Has this come up?

I agree with Phil 100%

John
    Dream Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie
    Should belt buckles be available for sale to previous racers that competed before the tradition of awarding belt buckles began?
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil MacFarlane View Post
    #2 Has this come up?
    Hey Sail A Vie, long time no hear from, welcome back!

Yes, I got an email last week:
    "Synthia - I was in the first Single-Handed Transpac in 1978 with my <boat>. I finished in <#> days and some hours for <#>place on elapsed time. Great experience, great people, great pictures, memories, etc. but no cool belt buckle like the one you are holding on the SSS web site.
    Can I buy one?"

Synthia/Eyrie
    Last edited by Eyrie; 06-15-2008 at 09:52 AM.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image

If it can be verified that he was finished, I would vote that he should be able to buy one. They are cool remembrances. Not sure he or she should have to do it again to get one (but it would be a good excuse).

John
    Dream Chaser

Question #1: I think a skipper should have to successfully finish the race to get a buckle. That raises the related question about boats that finish the race after the 21-day limit. If they are classified as "finished, but not scored" I think they should get a buckle.

Question #2: If the skipper can document his/her finish I think a buckle should be awarded.

Bill Merrick