Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Late Pacs

Default Late Pacs

At the Corinthian Skippers' meeting Brian Boschma mentioned that Todd was out there on Windtrip Infinity. Any news on whether he is safe and back in the bay yet? I hope all went well. If so, are there any good stories? If not, are there any good stories?

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

This wasn't too well publicized, but it looks like Max knew about his DeLorme...

Name:  2016-03-18_142422.jpg
Views: 1031
Size:  75.2 KB

Jackie should sign up with Faceplant so she'll see stuff like this. She'll also know what we're saying about her.

FB used to be good for keeping track of your kids but they've moved on to Snapchat etc. Now they say FB is for old folks like us.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Facebook is good for being spied on and marketed to, and in many countries, censored and monitored by the local political police. I created a feed to FB because our page there existed already and thought it might as well get updates from our sites.

Our forum here has none of those dubious features of FB. Say anything you like!

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    At the Corinthian Skippers' meeting Brian Boschma mentioned that Todd was out there on Windtrip Infinity. Any news on whether he is safe and back in the bay yet? I hope all went well. If so, are there any good stories? If not, are there any good stories?
    Thanks for asking Jackie.

The result was mixed. I sailed farther out and longer than I ever have but not far enough to complete the qualifying sail.

Here is the link to the Delorme page. https://share.delorme.com/ToddOlsen

I have two windows of time to do the qualifying sail, this one and early June.

The forecast was for up to 25 knots NW with declining but still active seas and an anticipated decrease in wind coming into this weekend. I know from other small sailboats that I can sail around SE Farallon Island without getting sea sick, but if I focus on something or go down into the cabin, I start feeling queasy. In the afternoon, Tues, the day of departure, after passing SE Farallon Island, I was dry, but getting chilly. I went down to the cabin and soon became sea sick. For the night, I continued to sail out, and I told myself, before going, that if I was going to pull the plug, I would wait until noon the next day, to make the decision with the sun well up and me warmed up from the night.

I wish I had done that. By 7:30 the next morning, not eating, sleeping (nausea trumped sleep), or drinking much water, I was concerned that I would get myself and others into difficulty. The Delorme inReach Explorer worked well, maybe too well, supplying a track for my wife and daughters to check on progress and a text line to communicate. They sent along supportive messages such as, "Hope the first day went well!", "Do you have entertainment?", "Are you okay? Did you bring Meclizine?", and "Maybe come home n try again another time?".

What I really needed was General Roper to send a msg to tell me to toughen up.

So I decided to put aside my personal goal to wait until noon and turned back 7:30A.

For next time, I will:

1. Look for a forecast with <25 knots WS if not off wind.
    2. Try 1/2 scopolamine patch. The side effects can include, "confusion, agitation, extreme fear, hallucinations, unusual thoughts or behavior". I already know I will hallucinate, I did this time, so I do not want to further encourage this. I may just do a day trip out to the Gulf of the Farallones on the medication, me in and out of the cabin, testing things out.
    3. More seriously consider a downwind destination as a Plan B, before pulling the plug AM second day.

Todd

I was thrilled to hear you were out there Todd. I'm sorry it didn't work out this time.

From what you wrote it sounds like you were okay once you were off the wind? Ending up in Monterey isn't bad - I think that's what Tom (SHAMAN) had to do.

Todd, It means a lot that you shared this. I am in a similar spot and need to qualify with a LatePac. Although I have soloed the Farallons and been out for 24 hr solo, when I complete the LatePac it will be my personal best for SH'ed sailing...The longest I will have ever done solo. I was impressed that you just did it, particularly at this time of year. I will make mine in the next few weeks. If you have any advice, particularly how you chose your window, I am all ears. Let me buy you a beer. Or two. Best regards, The Who in s/v Owl

Quote Originally Posted by todd22123 View Post
    Thanks for asking Jackie.

The result was mixed. I sailed farther out and longer than I ever have but not far enough to complete the qualifying sail.

Here is the link to the Delorme page. https://share.delorme.com/ToddOlsen

I have two windows of time to do the qualifying sail, this one and early June.

The forecast was for up to 25 knots NW with declining but still active seas and an anticipated decrease in wind coming into this weekend. I know from other small sailboats that I can sail around SE Farallon Island without getting sea sick, but if I focus on something or go down into the cabin, I start feeling queasy. In the afternoon, Tues, the day of departure, after passing SE Farallon Island, I was dry, but getting chilly. I went down to the cabin and soon became sea sick. For the night, I continued to sail out, and I told myself, before going, that if I was going to pull the plug, I would wait until noon the next day, to make the decision with the sun well up and me warmed up from the night.

I wish I had done that. By 7:30 the next morning, not eating, sleeping (nausea trumped sleep), or drinking much water, I was concerned that I would get myself and others into difficulty. The Delorme inReach Explorer worked well, maybe too well, supplying a track for my wife and daughters to check on progress and a text line to communicate. They sent along supportive messages such as, "Hope the first day went well!", "Do you have entertainment?", "Are you okay? Did you bring Meclizine?", and "Maybe come home n try again another time?".

What I really needed was General Roper to send a msg to tell me to toughen up.

So I decided to put aside my personal goal to wait until noon and turned back 7:30A.

For next time, I will:

1. Look for a forecast with <25 knots WS if not off wind.
    2. Try 1/2 scopolamine patch. The side effects can include, "confusion, agitation, extreme fear, hallucinations, unusual thoughts or behavior". I already know I will hallucinate, I did this time, so I do not want to further encourage this. I may just do a day trip out to the Gulf of the Farallones on the medication, me in and out of the cabin, testing things out.
    3. More seriously consider a downwind destination as a Plan B, before pulling the plug AM second day.

Todd
    Todd! Well, that is too bad but now you know for next time. I am impressed and also understand the nausea. The first time I sailed in an OYRA race on Temerity with David Nabors he kept sending me down to get spinnakers, which made me sicker every time. First one, then another. By the third time I was so nauseous! He called down to me, "Where's that spinnaker?!" I was throwing up in his galley sink and then I felt much better ;-)

Someone, presumably after reading my tale of woe, sent me a Scopolamine patch in an unmarked envelope, so thanks for that, whoever you are. I will try it out.

Todd

Based on PredictWind, the conditions look good for April 3, 4, 5.